Project Nuke Flatworms!

First step:

Transfer tank water into containers where The anti-flatworm medication was added. As we did not have the recommended time (5 hours) to soak the corals and LR in, we administered a double dose for a half-hour soak in each container.

Each coral was carefully taken out of the main tank and dipped into the dip (haha) and dippity-dip dipped to (hee hee) to kill the flatworms.

As they died, they released a yellowish-brown stain as seen in this pix:

quininedip.jpg

We swirled, dugged and shook each coral fragment to make sure that no flatworms were still alive as they were transferred from 1st pass Dip tank, 2nd pass Dip tank, 3rd pass clean SW tank, and to the big fibreglass holding tank.

diptanks.jpg

Dip tanks with the anti-flatworm solution.

coralsindiptank.jpg

The final holding tank.

As we cleaned, we removed pistolshrimps, a mantis shrimp, several crabs, big bristleworms and other undesirables.

undesirables.jpg

undesirables2.jpg

We saved helpful creatures like sea cucumbers, peanut worms, snails etc.

rumouranddodo.jpg

Wah lau eh.... siong man!

liverocktakenout.jpg

All the liverock was taken out and left to bake in the sun... and then given a freshwater hosedown to rinse out the dead flatworms.

Morgan was willing to risk killing most of the bacteria and other microlife, pods etc in his quest to ANNILIHATE flatworms.

The anti-flatworm medication was also administered to the main tank... and once we were sure the flatworms were all dead.... it was time to wash the coral chips sandbed with freshwater... an Eheim pump was used to pump all the flatworms and silty water out.

morgintank.jpg

Guys watching Morgan demonstrate the horse-stance. :P

Knowing that the NSW delivery truck was coming at 2pm... we applied speed and was surprised to finish clearing the tank by 1pm. So we took a break and after a delicious Hokkien Mee lunch, we placed Morgan's new DIY Reef Rack using PVC pipes and egg-crate into the tank.

reefrack.jpg

reefrackintank.jpg

The NSW arrived on time, and we had to hurry with our landscaping.

We washed the liverock again with FW to rinse out any flatworm carcass and any pistol shrimps.

landscapedone.jpg

Our masterpiece!

landscape2.jpg

landscape3.jpg

fillingtankup.jpg

As we started filling the tank up with about 2 tons of NSW...

cleaningtheskimmer.jpg

It was time to clean the Precision Marine beckett skimmer...

skimmersumpinside.jpg

Being placed outdoors, we could see algae growing inside the skimmer!

It began to rain as we began placing the corals back into the tank. It was a difficult task as the NSW was rather silty and we could hardly see 10 inches deep into the water.

We placed all the frags on the top shelf where I am sure they will enjoy stronger sunlight.

fraggrowoutrack.jpg

fraggrowoutrack2.jpg

His tank being so deep...3 ft deep... we had to drop some of his corals and clams onto the sandbed... which was even harder coz we could hardly see the bottom.

murkytank.jpg

MURKY!!!

And to celebrate the end of the flatworm-nuking ###### new tank arrangement party... one of Morgan's clams spawned for more than a good 30 mins!!! :D:lol::P

clamspawn.jpg

Ah...ahhh.. ahhhhhh.....

clamspawn2.jpg

..... CHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• SRC Member

Good for you. I'm feeling refreshed from the good workout. Wonder how's the ammonia like in the tank and how his precious are doing.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

HAHAHA ... :lol::lol::lol: .... 'damn right' (To understand the joke: Check out the LOTR Spoof AT posted.)

It sure was a workout, kinda fun too. Wonder if the water's cleared up?

Quite curious how our 'blind' layout of his precious corals turned out? :P

Hey guys,

The water has cleared up alot. You can now see everything. Not crystal clear yet.

I took half day leave to arrange the corals, the blind placement wasn't that good.

A couple of acros frags look abit bleached but overall everything still looks OK.

I will try to get a pic to post.

Thanks yazid.

Will have to rearrange the LR and corals abit to hide the pvc pipes.

Can't tell from the pic but up close not so nice.

Long way more to go........... as you know you will never be satisfied. Always need to rearrange.

• SRC Member
where can i find egg crates?

Most hardware shop.

I bought mine at the corner Hardware shop at Serangoon North.

I saw also at Lor Halus fish shop.

Update 6 days after.

Saw a few flatworm in my 2 ft tank which was attached to the big tank a couple of days ago. Couldn't find them now. No time to look for them today, will check tomorrow.

Did not see any flatworms in the tank. Overall everything look OK and returning to normal.

The treatment did not really affect the LPS. They are the first to return to their normal state after 2 days.

Happy to report that I have only lost 6 small acros frag of 3 species and 1 montipora. These are the ones that bleached. They lost their tissue from the 3rd days onward.

My 6 colonies of acros and numerous small frags of several species of acros and pocillopora have return to normal.

They are showing good polpys extension.

I consider the whole operation a big success.

Like to say a Thank You to the guys that help me.

• SRC Member

No prob. Glad to help out. Hope the tank settle downs soon and start growing!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif