6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

that's a big tank!!!!! must be a really good for landscape especially it's long and wide.... but depth, think u use .5ft for dsb, coz just for my 2ft deep tank, its already hard to reach, aside from the intense lighting u have to consider...

good luck bro!!!!

B)B)B)

• SRC Member

First update is my Equipment list that has been bought so far :

AquaC Ev-240 Skimmer

Arcadia 3 Series Pendant with analog timer (3 x14K 250w DE MH & 2 x Actinic FL)

Tunze Stream Multi-controller 7094

2 x Tunze Stream 6100

Eheim 1260 & 1250 for Return Pumps

Sun Sun HQB 3900 for Skimmer

Kent Marine HI-s Maxxima 60 GPD RO/DI

1.25HP Titanium Chiller

Aquamedic Calcium reactor 1000 with Dosing Pump

• SRC Member

Tank Details:

6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft

15mm Glass all around with Euro-bracing at the top and silicone-in-glass at the bottom and sides

IOS at one side of the tank spanning the entire width with 2 durso pipe and 2 return pipes provisioned

Using DC black silicon for all seams

Sump Tank:

3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft

12mm Glass

Divided into 4 compartments for Refuge/Skimmer/Intake/Return

• SRC Member

Reefer Guy, thanks for tha advise.. have decided to make do with a 2-3 inche sand bed due to the potential of a DSB to crash after some time..Decided to play it safe and go for a normal sand bed in main tank and DSb in the refuge so that IF it crashes, the Sump can be disconnected and the DSb resetted so to speak..

• SRC Member
Tank Details:

6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft

15mm Glass all around with Euro-bracing at the top and silicone-in-glass at the bottom and sides

IOS at one side of the tank spanning the entire width with 2 durso pipe and 2 return pipes provisioned

Using DC black silicon for all seams

Sump Tank:

3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft

12mm Glass

Divided into 4 compartments for Refuge/Skimmer/Intake/Return

My tank is about 1/2 ft shorter than yours but sump is about a foot longer......and it looks damn small! :shock: Am considering redesigning to make it larger. You may want to consider that as well - with 6 ft length, should be able to get it to at least 4 ft and almost 2 ft width. Since you already have much of your equipment, you can figure out how much space outside the sump you will need...

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Terry, yup got the quotation for the tank and it has been confirmed. Got the tank for LIM64 or Lim Han Teck. Got it from him for the tank, sump, all pipings and also the stand.

Cabinet will be done separately by my contractor as i am renovating my new house at the same time ;)

The rest of the equipment was brought from Edmund of eAquanature with the exception of the Calcium Reactor which is from Aquamart during the recent Aquarama

• SRC Member

Sharkbait, not yet lah! hehehe

Just got the equipment ready.. my house is not ready yet for the tank to be delivered... sob sob

Han Teck just delivered the stand yesterday as i wanted the contractor to do a drainage facility which is from the tank to the nearest drainage hole which i guess is at the balcony. The drainage will also have to be very near the RO/DI unit for the waste water disposal.

• SRC Member

Geez..your tank is 0.5ft shorter in length from mine. Soon you realise how back breaking to put in your rocks and sand ..h.a.h.ah.. I took 1 day MC after the rock and sand operation .. :P

• SRC Member
Marinebetta, have sized the sump up as that dimension as i am running out of space already.. my EV-240 and calcium reactor will be placed out of the sump and only the pumps will be in the sump.

Do any of you see a downside to this?

If it's all designed to fit in already then I suppose you can't go bigger. Just that everything else being equal, a larger refugium is better (assuming you're going for a refugium, otherwise....just ignore my "advice" :lol: ). Thought mine was OK size but when they delivered it ....it looked really tiny and puny under the tank! :P Also the first comments of some "lao chiao" here when they saw it too :lol: Of course, there's nothing else fitted up so it looks like there's tons of space......

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Forgot a few details for the tank:

110kg of LR has been purchased and now currently curing in CF :-) I was kanchiong lah so bought the LR first.. got very big pieces of LR since i happen to be there when they were receiving the LR from their supplier.

Will use C0 sand as a sand bed... how many kg would u guys guess i will need?