My 2 ft cube ...

digibee

• SRC Member
You can add as much biohome as you want, but the bacteria colony in your tank will reach an optimal amt regardless of how much extra biohome you have. Doesn't mean more space for bacteria to colonise means will have more bacteria.

So no need to waste too much $ on additional biohome. If you are really kiasu, I think 2kg is the max your 2ft will really need.

ok thanks.

I am thinking of putting 1 kg in the first compartment and 1 kg in the last compartment.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member
culitvating too much bacteria and not enough nutrients / food for them may result in massive bacteria die-offs which will potentially lead to tank crashing....wat is good and beneficial, but overadding can be harmful.

Sounds logical. Thanks!

Sounds logical. Thanks!

Thats why when you does bacteria, try to does within the specified amount on the instructions. better to add a little and more often.

I think they do compete with your tank inhabitats for oxygen too.

Edit: you will not overadd biohomes hor.... just that they will be under utilize. Bacteria is the one that you should not overdose.

biohomes are just homes for the bacterias.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Thats why when you does bacteria, try to does within the specified amount on the instructions. better to add a little and more often.

yeah, add too much bacteria can result in bacteria bloom. The tank will get cloudy, and oxygen levels may drop in your tank.

The reason they bloom and die off is because your tank don't have enough 'food' for them. tt's why when adding fishes, ppl always say add slowly, so that the bacteria can grow to accomodate the additional bioload.

• SRC Member

Edit: you will not overadd biohomes hor.... just that they will be under utilize. Bacteria is the one that you should not overdose.

Wow, sounds logical too!

I just dosed 20 ml of API bacteria yesterday.

It says, thereafter I should dose 5 ml per week.

Hope this is alright, will test parameters again tonight.

Thanks!

i might be wrong, but the population of bacteria in the biohomes will multiply depends on the amount of waste that can support it. If you add in more biohomes, but there isn't enough waste, the bacteria multiplication will simply not be that much. It won't result to a tank crash.

in my previous FW tank, it was 2 feet, i has 3 kg of biohomes running in a canister filter... no tank crash for almost 8 years also...

When it comes to these things, i always thing, the more the merrier. It will only do good for the fishes... but harm the wallet...

• SRC Member

heh bro we never said more biohome will crash tank :lol:

i might be wrong, but the population of bacteria in the biohomes will multiply depends on the amount of waste that can support it. If you add in more biohomes, but there isn't enough waste, the bacteria multiplication will simply not be that much. It won't result to a tank crash.

in my previous FW tank, it was 2 feet, i has 3 kg of biohomes running in a canister filter... no tank crash for almost 8 years also...

When it comes to these things, i always thing, the more the merrier. It will only do good for the fishes... but harm the wallet...

• SRC Member

do not totally agree with this statement...

IMHO, its better to underdose then to overdose for a nano tank as any fluctuation in water parameters in a nano is a huge change...

however, i do also agree that having more biohome should not cause the tank to crash...

just my 2 cents to share with TS.. please correct me if i'm wrong.. no hard feelings bro.. =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

heh bro we never said more biohome will crash tank :lol:

yup. I think most of us (if not all) are all resonating the same thing. :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Hey digibee, read tt you are using eheim 1000 to power your chiller. Yours is a 1/10hp right? If it is, I think it's way too underpowered for your Arctica. How long does it take to chill your tank?

Yeah, I think it is eheim 1000.

Pump is in my last compartment, same as the return pump.

2 short pipes were used; maybe can see from the previous pic.

I think it takes a a few minutes, er.. not quite sure how many minutes, maybe 3 mins to have the temp down to 27.5 degrees.

Is that ok, good?

• SRC Member
Digibee

Finally see your tank up! :P I like the tank but a bit wasted leh.. 2 ft tank on 3.5ft cabinet... i think u have expansion plan in mind is it?! :P

Anyway, using the livesand from caribsea and NO is good... helps cycling fast... our tank is cycled in about 1 week.. as we also have live rock and a refrigum (no live sand but dosed with some bacteria tablets).

Hey Ketchup, sorry to miss your post.

No expansion in mind, the longer cabinet is to fit the sump and chiller; also those plugs and wire.... now wire still in a mess.

yeah, but I find the caribsea sand is huge .... prefer the smaller finer nature ocean .... well ... too late .... dumped in both already.

I think my tank is already cycled as mention by the nsw provider; as I have my old live rocks in my tub with circulating water.

Anyway, already added some livestock in; and they seemed happier than in the ikea tub!!

Me also dose bacteria .....

Will add in more livestock soon, bought a few small fishes yesterday together with the biohome+.

Cheers and enjoy reefing!

• SRC Member
Hey Ketchup, sorry to miss your post.

No expansion in mind, the longer cabinet is to fit the sump and chiller; also those plugs and wire.... now wire still in a mess.

yeah, but I find the caribsea sand is huge .... prefer the smaller finer nature ocean .... well ... too late .... dumped in both already.

I think my tank is already cycled as mention by the nsw provider; as I have my old live rocks in my tub with circulating water.

Anyway, already added some livestock in; and they seemed happier than in the ikea tub!!

Me also dose bacteria .....

Will add in more livestock soon, bought a few small fishes yesterday together with the biohome+.

Cheers and enjoy reefing!

Hi Digibee

Hi Digibee...

Sure no expansion? *wink* *wink* :)

Ya, my wife pour in the NO/Caribsea with Elvin (from Reborn) the other day when i was out... I came back and noticed that the NO sand is more brownish and finer.. I actually prefers the Caribsea sand as it's nicer... more black :P

So what i did was to turn it a little along the tank so it "appears" mostly Caribsea :) One more thing, you should "disturb" your sand slowly as there are still pockets of air underneath the sand bed.. i do it a little bit each day.

• SRC Member
Yeah, I think it is eheim 1000.

Pump is in my last compartment, same as the return pump.

2 short pipes were used; maybe can see from the previous pic.

I think it takes a a few minutes, er.. not quite sure how many minutes, maybe 3 mins to have the temp down to 27.5 degrees.

Is that ok, good?

Seems very fast if it reduces from 28 to 27.5 in a few minutes :P

Seems very fast if it reduces from 28 to 27.5 in a few minutes :P

Provided the thermometer is accurate, that is...... :eyebrow:

I visited a member house recently. I was shocked to see his thermometer shows 23 degrees cel and his tank have got no condensation!!!!................

..................only to find out his chiller shows 28. :eyeblur:

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member
Provided the thermometer is accurate, that is...... :eyebrow:

I visited a member house recently. I was shocked to see his thermometer shows 23 degrees cel and his tank have got no condensation!!!!................

..................only to find out his chiller shows 28. :eyeblur:

Shd be based on the reading on the chiller more accurate right ? :P

• SRC Member
Shd be based on the reading on the chiller more accurate right ? :P

Technically speaking, reading on the thermometer in the tank is more accurate. Coz tt's the end reading you want to know, not the chiller temperature reading.

But sometimes how do you know which temperature is accurate? Maybe chiller thermostat is spoilt, or external thermometer is also spoilt... lol

• SRC Member
Technically speaking, reading on the thermometer in the tank is more accurate. Coz tt's the end reading you want to know, not the chiller temperature reading.

But sometimes how do you know which temperature is accurate? Maybe chiller thermostat is spoilt, or external thermometer is also spoilt... lol

Yes, I read from the thermometer in my tank, then I calibrate my chiller.

Er... I think I should get another thermometer and put one on each side of the tank.

• SRC Member

Hello .... finally removed all those coral chips .... tough work.

I think I need 2 kg more of biohome+

Still got alot of space in the first compartment after putting in 1 kg.

post-16860-1263228733_thumb.jpg

Anyway, here is the place where I put all the power plugs ...

post-16860-1263228791_thumb.jpg

And tried to do some wire management .... still look messy ...

post-16860-1263228752_thumb.jpg

post-16860-1263228763_thumb.jpg

Ok, added some livestock ...

Green brain? From lemonlemon

post-16860-1263228805_thumb.jpg

Note that my maxspect light 160w is not here yet;

They are redoing it; hopefully by Wed, it will be ready; hence no fts yet.

Also, don't really like my current rockscape, seems like need to buy a couple more of liverocks.

Here is the flameDino .... relative of the flamehawk

post-16860-1263228819_thumb.jpg

Mini flamehawk, my fav ... swee but shy fish. Really like a bird, like to perch.

post-16860-1263228827_thumb.jpg

Sorry pic not that sharp.

Cherry crab? also in...

post-16860-1263228840_thumb.jpg

Randallgoby in ... this guy very very tiny and this is his hiding place; never seems to move out.

post-16860-1263228853_thumb.jpg

One of my fav, not sure what goby is this; but came out immediately when I feed just now. Steady...

I think I need to buy a book to identify species.

post-16860-1263228894_thumb.jpg

Ok, my fts .... hahaha .... no sorry, just pic taken from aquarama last time.

post-16860-1263228872_thumb.jpg

Cheers and good night!

Mini flamehawk, my fav ... swee but shy fish. Really like a bird, like to perch.

post-16860-1263228827_thumb.jpg

Sorry pic not that sharp.

Hey dude, where did you get your mini Flame Hawk from?

" ... and the sea cucumber turns to the mollusk and says, 'With fronds like these, who needs anemones?' " -Marlin the Clownfish-

• SRC Member
Hey dude, where did you get your mini Flame Hawk from?

Haha! Persuaded Victor from Iwarna to sell to me.

He was in their display tank :)

Cute little fellow, perching here and there; seemed to love live brine shrimp.