GSP spreading like fire

yongshun

hi bros and sis, my gsp is growing and spreading like fire...too fast to my liking...all sticking onto my live rocks...ne one has idea how i can frag dem out w/o getting rid of my LR?

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
hi bros and sis, my gsp is growing and spreading like fire...too fast to my liking...all sticking onto my live rocks...ne one has idea how i can frag dem out w/o getting rid of my LR?

i think gsp will be toxic if too many. read this in rc

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• Senior Reefer
i think gsp will be toxic if too many. read this in rc

all soft corals regardless of GSP, mushroom, xenia etc will release toxins as a form of chemical warfare. this is negligible if u run carbon and a skimmer.

You may want to drop some rocks somewhere in the path of the coral and let it overun. Then you can sell the rocks to fellow reefers and earn some $$$.

Did that once by throwing a rock in the middle of the GSP garden, it overan in no time. But i did not sell it. Gave all away during my tank migration.

I find it difficult to stop the spread, using something to block the light reaching the GSP is 1 way, another way maybe is to separate the path by making space.

They are one of the fastest growing and easiest to frag.

Disturb the colony to get the polyps to retract, then rubbery purple base should be quite easy to peel / scrape off the LR.

Only effective method of controlling their growth I've seen is to place the colony on the sandbed.

thks bros for all the advices...realli appreciate it...will try to frag it...i wldnt wan my whole tank to be filled wif the gsp :)

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Supporter
heh bro put me in the queue when you frag! :)

bro yongshun but u muz let comycus see isit luminious enough. he looking for very very luminous gsp right comycus? if u qc and pass liao rem to tell me i also wan! :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

bro yongshun but u muz let comycus see isit luminious enough. he looking for very very luminous gsp right comycus? if u qc and pass liao rem to tell me i also wan! :)

heh bro put me in the queue when you frag! :)

haha nt sure if its luminous enugh hehe bt i myself find tat yes hehe

I think that is a good problem to have :rolleyes: I love the lushness of GSP

i wld luv it oso if its only contained in 1 corner haha

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

I think low levels of NO3 do indeed speed its growth, also high light and high flow appear to be their preferred zone.

Maybe if you place them in a lower flow / lower light region are they might slow down a bit, won't be as luminous though.

any tips to make it spread? does gsp need NO3 to thrive?

the growth of my gsp slow down a lot when my NO3 is near undetectable

happy new year

i placed mine on top with high flow high light...nt sure bout the NO3 though...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup