How to make your sand clean.

trublu

Hi guys,.. i need some help here, how to make the sand looks clean in the tank.i've a problem with a brown colour (diatom),i guess..and it's come very quick even after i clean it..i've cut my lighting period to 8 hours and reduce feeding..but nothing much change..currently my sand was about 2" in DT..what is the best height to put the sand to the tank?Thnks...

• SRC Member

If yours is a new tank, it's prob new tank syndrome. Let it run it's own course and the diatoms should clear within 3-6 months.

If it's an established tank and you have already reduced feeding/lighting period, just means your bio-load too high. Time to sell off some fishes.

- check PO4 level. If high add Phosphate remover.

- if its a newly setup tank, this is normal. They should go away after 2 months.

- add in sand dollars, they help to turn over the sand.

- get snails to control algae

- Do WC more often. Use DI water. If you are using NSW, check the PO4 level in NSW. Some are high.

- reduce lighting period to 6 hrs

- manually perform sand mowing periodically.

good luck bro!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

diamond goby is the answer :)

or get a pearly jawfish.... confirm you will get a high turn over of sand everyday.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Check this link. and this link.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
Hi guys,.. i need some help here, how to make the sand looks clean in the tank.i've a problem with a brown colour (diatom),i guess..and it's come very quick even after i clean it..i've cut my lighting period to 8 hours and reduce feeding..but nothing much change..currently my sand was about 2" in DT..what is the best height to put the sand to the tank?Thnks...

used to face this problem quite awhile in the beginning as well..

as your tank matures and water stabalises,

it should go away after awhile...

do monitor your PO4 and NO3 :)

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft: