what is the min watts to keep SPS and clams ?

• SRC Member

so with a 48w T5 i can keep sps and clams later right ???

i will be getting a diy auto top up and 2 fans to cool it ok ??? ;)

SBS_Transit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so let's all just end this issue by saying a unanimous YES to him and let him be happy :evil:

That's just so terrible. <_< Let him waste money.

SBS Transit... I will give you an answer but you have to ponder about it more.

Do you mind keeping SPS that will probably be stay brown but still be alive?

Then yes... that lights can keep them alive.

To ponder further:

1. Do you want your SPS to look good and prosper?

2. Are you willing to spend more money to keep these sensitive and demanding corals?

3. Do you have patience?

4. Do you have a good filtration system? eg. excellent water parameters, good skimmer, good husbandry skills, chiller, good water circulation?

5. Do you like an overstocked tank?

6. Is your tank matured for at least a year and gone past the usual algae blooms already?

Like I said, there's more to SPS than just lights.

yeah lor..coz this bro also did PM me asking about this issue before he started this thread...

i already advised him to go MH and chiller for the longterm good of the clams or sps...but he keep mentioning T5, T5 and T5...hehe

he seems pretty fixated on T5s...and after so much advice from other bros...he still likes his 2x24W T5 option...so bo bian lor....

already say MH and chiller is the way to go..but he dun wanna take that path mah..hehe :P

well you can't blame the poor dude if he doesn't have the money to afford a chiller, can you.

but SBS Transit, not to be a wet blanket. I'm wet behind the ears as well...but I can tell you this for sure. SPS is no joke. and if you don't have a chiller or a way to keep temperature from fluctuating badly, I doubt your SPS will write your Christmas cards *if they had the ability to do so*

bro transit:

yeah.actually a good advice is to try soft corals or LPS with the 2x24W T5s and if they thrive and you decide to invest further...then you can spend more on lights and chiller...

but then again.since you already set your targets high on clams and sps...why not bite the bulllet and go straight to Mh and chiller...in that sense you need not lose money upgrading later on...

• SRC Member

but i can keep anything else beside only clams and sps right ? thats means i can keep any type of coral ? :bow:

SBS_Transit

not every type lah...most lah..

to be sure....u go to online reef guides to check the light requirements of the corals u are going to buy before really buying them...

a guide can be found at www.liveaquaria.com

they will tell you the light and water flow requirements and even placement position in the tank

I'm keeping 3 frags so far using T5s...one tricolor acro..one blue-tip staghorn..one more dunno what it is...

But so far...not turning brown..been quite long already..no rtn also...starting to color up..onli one part of the tricolor rather pale..think becoz mucus attack by a leather..moved it to the far end of the tank now..

Regarding lights I think that if you are using T5s it is best that your water depth does exceed 18 inches and that you put your sps right at the top near the water surface to capture the most light. Light intensity drops as it goes thru water..refraction of light... ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

yeah..t5s are great for shallow waters...

anyway, how many pieces and what is the wattage of each tube you are using? that will help bro transit further :)

Using 3X 54W ATI aquablue. My water depth is onli about 15inches and the width of my tank onli 18 inches..I concentrate the light in the center of my tank whereby my sps frags are onli 3 inches from the water surface.

I'm contemplating whether to switch to sunpro..but I think sunpro will make my tank have the 'yellowish' look..I'll stick to aquablue which is around 10,000K and see how it goes.. ;)

i am running the same 3x54w all sunpro in my sump...

maybe we can switch tubes to test test next time...lol... :P

Ok..next time if I wanna change 1 tube to sunpro maybe can switch with you..then you get some blue spectrum while I get a lil more yellow spectrum.. :lol:

but i can keep anything else beside only clams and sps right ? thats means i can keep any type of coral ? :bow:

hey hey reefing is not a easy job too... Yes those t5s can keep well most other kind of coral but light as what AT is not everything even to lps and softies. Many other conditions which are more important play a very big part. IMO read up more first before reefing ;););)

• SRC Member

my tank is only 1feet high(12 inches)

so i just get 2 T5 48w can keep liao mah ?

any way my tank is small

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member
my tank is only 1feet high(12 inches)

so i just get 2 T5 48w can keep liao mah ?

any way my tank is small

Seems like you have already decided on T5 and what you gonna do, so why bother asking for suggestions???? <_<<_<

Do you know how hard it is to maintain a stable water condition in such a small tank?? Using fan, the water temp can diviate 2-3 deg in a short time, salinity can change quickly and if a fish die without quick removal can cause system to overload and crash. I use to have a 15gallon tank and it's already a pain. Talk about a 10gallon nano. Maybe your should think twice bout spennding most of your money on lighting and get a bigger tank first and go for demanding corals and good lighting later.

Light what AT has said. Lighting is not everything. At the very least you need to get your coral/fish to survive be you talk about thrive. But its just a suggestion. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

well in that case, no T5 or MH , i will stick with PC :rolleyes:

how many watts should i get ? two 55w ? or 1 can ? :thanks:

u make me change my mind :cry:

haha nvm la ;)

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

haha. now will start the whole thing over again and again :lol:

but u saw no point to get T5 , so i get PL loh ;)

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

From the sound of it you are either a student, on a buget or both. So I would say if you arent keeping light demanding corals yet, look in the 2nd section and get cheap lighting first. Then save the money and gain some experience. Seen a couple of post of bros selling 2ft PL, have a look. Then get some corals that not light demanding and start from there. Then decide what to do afterwards (after you gain experience and can maintain you LS).