Painted Aluminium material submerged in Reef

tench1

• SRC Member
Hi fellow reefers,

Anyone has any idea if the insertion of such material in a marine tank will cause any harmful effect to the fishes and corals?

Please share your thoughts here.

Thanks,

Ten

As long as its dry paint and only for a brief moment..

If its left there permanently I bet something will get leeched out.. besides, metal will rust.. rust is not good in a tank.

Maybe unrelated but there are also finding of aluminum kitchen appliances causing health issue to humans. Due to some toxin release. Not sure if this will affect LS in the long run also.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

As long as its dry paint and only for a brief moment..

If its left there permanently I bet something will get leeched out.. besides, metal will rust.. rust is not good in a tank.

Maybe unrelated but there are also finding of aluminum kitchen appliances causing health issue to humans. Due to some toxin release. Not sure if this will affect LS in the long run also.

I agree, somethings will be leaked into the system in a long run.

However, whether is it harmful, its a ?.

Thanks for your input.

Any one else have any idea? please share.

• SRC Member
I agree, somethings will be leaked into the system in a long run.

However, whether is it harmful, its a ?.

Thanks for your input.

Any one else have any idea? please share.

Metal alone is something everyone here will want to avoid.. if someone says its 'probably' not harmful, you wanna try? Its kinda their word against your future tank condition.. I'd say just leave it and move one. Its better to prevent then find a cure later..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

Aluminum doesn't rust; only steel and iron. Regarding the paint, it depends on what kind of paint it is... but then again most paint pigment are to a certain extent, toxic.

Submerging metal in water for the long term will definitely contaminate the water one way or another. Water is a very powerful solvent :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

any metal that contains the element iron (Fe) will rust. steel, iron, iron based alloys will all rust in the tank. aluminum will not because there is no iron, unless it is an aluminium,iron alloy. so make sure you check what is in the metal. i won't even trust stainless steel as the protective layer will ware off and the iron based metal inside will rust after time.

• SRC Member

So still wanna try? hehe.. I doubt anyone dare gamble even if its a 90% ok..

• SRC Member

this reminds me of my Grand plan on my future tank! :P I told desi if i am RICH enough and HOUSE BIG enough... then i want to recreate a wreckage in a tank :P a mini titanic for fishes to hide and swim with corals overgrowing it! lol

A mini Titanic is a great idea! With the inputs from all bros, looks like adding metalic components arent going to be a long term action.

Perhaps, i will try using polyster material instead. Wonder if this would work out find. But based on the material, it should be ok...

Any other opinions?

• SRC Member

The paint will certainly leech something into the water gradually. If the aluminum surface is not painted, it will not rust but it does oxidize/corrode to become Aluminum Oxide.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

wats my purpose, gg to display my coy's product that has ingress protection of 68. Hwever, its cmes with RAL paint code. Hwever i hav 2nd thoughts abt the paint seping into the system. Well, with all the comments, i wun be using the aluminium pdt, but mayb polyster. Haha. . Definitly not concrete. Haha