What is the "blue ant" on top of zoa?

zebradanio

• SRC Member

Your zoa is infested with nudibranchs...Not good... :rolleyes:

Try dipping in Coral RX to kill off the nudis.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Nudibranch = sea slug?

i saw few very beautiful slug in GO tanks.

If i dipping in CORAL RX will kill the slug too?

Those are zoa eating nudibranchs...u need to kill them otherwise they will eat up your zoas and then move on to other zoas in your tank. Very soon all your zoas will up the lorry... :upsidedown:

U can choose to dip them in lugols solution (iodine), freshwater or coral RX. Lugols and freshwater will stress your zoas so coral rx is the preferred solution to use.

Anyway, you need to do it quickly as once the nudis lay eggs, you will face a never ending battle to keep them off your zoas.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Those are zoa eating nudibranchs...u need to kill them otherwise they will eat up your zoas and then move on to other zoas in your tank. Very soon all your zoas will up the lorry... :upsidedown:

U can choose to dip them in lugols solution (iodine), freshwater or coral RX. Lugols and freshwater will stress your zoas so coral rx is the preferred solution to use.

Anyway, you need to do it quickly as once the nudis lay eggs, you will face a never ending battle to keep them off your zoas.

Where to buy this Coral RX? Can dip to whole tank?

• Senior Reefer

never dip your whole tank with coralrx. remove the zoas and dip them separately. coralRX can be found in reef depot and one other LFS...forgot where.

your nudi infestation looks terrible. i will just throw the whole colony away... unless you are determined to treat it. there are many thousands of nudibranchs in the ocean. each one of them have very specific diet and will only eat 1 kind of food. not all eat zoas.. the ones you have are the zoa eating nudi.

Where to buy this Coral RX? Can dip to whole tank?

try contacting reddevils, he might still have a few available bottles.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

its quite bad....better take it out and quarantine before they invade your other zoas...no quarantine they will be 100% eliminated with lugol dip or coral rx dip....if i were you, i frag the zoa into small pieces...easier to handle the nubis that way.

l7304smr.jpg

Checked my tank the zoa also infested with nudibranches. I dip them with fresh water le, but i dun how to see whether there is egg or not?

i spot eggs too..

Lemon care to share how to identify the egg? Thanks.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member
if my position of the other zoa is side by side, do you think it have move to other zoa too? or they will eat up this zoas first and then move on to other zoas?

they will simultaneously invade yr zoas...better take it now and frag into smaller pieces and place them in a separate tank or pail of SW.

i just bought one colony of zoa from GO the day b4..also invaded by some nudis...but i was very lucky to spot them and feed them to my suns and remove their eggs....

but for yr case, situation is quite bad....anyway once all yr zoas mati...they have no more food source left, they will die and disappear.

l7304smr.jpg