Blue Tang and Yellow Tang

Hi guys,

I intend to have a blue and yellow tang each in my tank.

questions:

1) Will they live together peacefully?

2) Do i have to introduce them together?

3) i don't have a quarentine tank, can i put them in the last compartment of the sump instead?

Currently in the tank (3 by 1.5 by 2) is 3 clown about 1 inch each, and 4 fire gobies (still hiding in the cave)

Thanks in advance

Pweesng

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

questions:

3) i don't have a quarentine tank, can i put them in the last compartment of the sump instead?

Currently in the tank (3 by 1.5 by 2) is 3 clown about 1 inch each, and 4 fire gobies (still hiding in the cave)

Thanks in advance

Pweesng

Its ok to have these 2.

Why are you planning to put in sump? If you are talking about acclimatizing, you can just use a pail and slowly add water from your tank.

If you are talking about quarantine, putting it in your sump serve no purpose because its connected to your main tank..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Hi guys,

questions:

Thanks in advance

Pweesng

1. they will, given the right conditions

2. it would be best, or blue first, then yellow

3. a qt is used to "quarantine", not just hold, the fish. If your fish develop ich, or have any other disease, and you have them in the sump, they will infect the rest of your livestock.

is your tank size 3x1.5x2 feet? or meters? if it's feet, you proly shouldn't put the 2 tangs in it. (or, if they are small, just be aware of the fact that you might need to take them out at some point).

• SRC Member

i have blue tang and yellow tang in my 2 ft tank and again now in my 4 ft..

I would say they gets along well and not aggressive. However, if your tank is not too big, keeping both may be a problem in the long run as they do grow.. and quite fast too.

Okay.. thanks guys for all comments and advice.

Yep.. i am thinking of having the both of them. I will most likely have the both of time... probably try to find those really small ones... so that they will take more time to grow out of the tank.

ICH is everywhere in the water... just like chicken pox germs is all over the air. The germs will penetrate the host, and manifest itself, when the animal is under stress. I have had fishes with ICH in sump without it affecting fishes in the main tank before.

I mean ideally we shoudl all have sufficient facility to quanrentine fishes. But how many of us actually have that kind of space at home?

i keep fishes in sump because the water that is constantly moving, it is dark, it keeps the fishes calm...

Kum Sia

• SRC Member
Okay.. thanks guys for all comments and advice.

Yep.. i am thinking of having the both of them. I will most likely have the both of time... probably try to find those really small ones... so that they will take more time to grow out of the tank.

ICH is everywhere in the water... just like chicken pox germs is all over the air. The germs will penetrate the host, and manifest itself, when the animal is under stress. I have had fishes with ICH in sump without it affecting fishes in the main tank before.

I mean ideally we shoudl all have sufficient facility to quanrentine fishes. But how many of us actually have that kind of space at home?

i keep fishes in sump because the water that is constantly moving, it is dark, it keeps the fishes calm...

Kum Sia

Then dun quarantine.. its call acclimatization..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Hi bro, for my experience, blue tang more white spot prompt that yellow tang. Maybe u get a small blue tang first and once stablized, introduce a stable eating yellow tang. It should be fine as blue tang not very agressive and tends to hide after eating. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Hi bro, for my experience, blue tang more white spot prompt that yellow tang. Maybe u get a small blue tang first and once stablized, introduce a stable eating yellow tang. It should be fine as blue tang not very agressive and tends to hide after eating. All the best.

ya.. YT usually a bit more aggresive.. BT once it's healthy and eating... it's like a PIG!

• SRC Member

bro the baby bt usually aren't easy to keep. Anyway not to discourage you, but BTs are known to grow big really fast and will outgrow your tank in no time. A small 3" bt can double in size really quickly. Up to you to make the decision.

Anyway, keeping the fishes in your sump first is not qt. Yes it might not be as stressful as it is dark and no aggressive fishes to attack. The reason why you might not see ich in your fishes in the display tank is because they are already fighting fit and can shrug off ich (since it's already ich infested like you mentioned). Does not mean they weren't infected with ich from your new fish.

Like you said, if you don't have the space to keep a qt tank, the next best thing is to house them in the sump. Give them some peace and quiet and hope they fight off ich and wean to processed food before adding to your dt.