skimmer discussion

[V]tEc

• Senior Reefer
i got it at about S$1.2k + shipping.

i like their quality on the overall, but i find their needlewheel breaks easily IME. and if you are getting from local agent, be prepared to pay a crazy price and if i am still correct, they dun bring in such a big boy.

yeah BM needle wheel breaks easily. broke mine 2 times and converted to deltec

• SRC Member
who who? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

My own take with skimmers has always been laid with doubts as well. I seriously do not know what's good and what's not good. I believe my current skimmer, a reef octopus one is good. 1 tiny dory with some zoas still manage to draw gunk on the side of the neck. But one drawback I find with that skimmer is that the bubble plate is too small. Should have used a bigger bubble plate (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

one of the senior reefers. unfortunately my pink yuma cmi in his tank...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
i know of one reefer who have very stunning sps uses only those cheapo skimmer but his overall husbandry is good thus his sps still flourish like wild fire.

Most probably he also has 'stunning' maintainance regime too or he has tons and tons of LRs.. hehe..

people like me? Cannot.. too lazy.. I make the equipments do the work.. besides, I have little LRs. I don't like too many hiding space.. :eyebrow:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
me using redsea prizm. bot it abt 6 months back.. doesn't really works as stipulated by the manufacturer. Recently doesn't work at all and returning lotsa micro bubbles into the tank. The unit cost me almost $300.. its a total rip-off from the manufacturer.

Actually Redsea works but specs are pretty overated in they tank size supported.. I believe the bigger model can only handle a 2ft tank..

Yeah, their microbubbles are a pain.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

Most probably he also has 'stunning' maintainance regime too or he has tons and tons of LRs.. hehe..

people like me? Cannot.. too lazy.. I make the equipments do the work.. besides, I have little LRs. I don't like too many hiding space.. :eyebrow:

Not necessary a lot of LRs. Husbandry and diligience are more important than biological filtration alone. I believe bro. Fuel can justify this point someday with his nano tank (:

Back to skimmer, any recommendation for a skimmer good, reasonably priced and comes with a big collection cup? So far, I only manage to find Reef Octopus 135-Int with a big cup. :X

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Actually Redsea works but specs are pretty overated in they tank size supported.. I believe the bigger model can only handle a 2ft tank..

Yeah, their microbubbles are a pain.

ya bro.. too overrated.. don't think i will buy any equipment from redsea in future. for such a simple mechanism can cost that much. if it works.. fine, but apparently it doesn't.. felt totally ripped-off.

is tunze nano skimmer good?.. or where can i get aquaC remora.. read good review about this model. called reefdepot but they don't carry this model anymore...

Not necessary a lot of LRs. Husbandry and diligience are more important than biological filtration alone. I believe bro. Fuel can justify this point someday with his nano tank (:

Back to skimmer, any recommendation for a skimmer good, reasonably priced and comes with a big collection cup? So far, I only manage to find Reef Octopus 135-Int with a big cup. :X

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

hi Marc

i got this skimmer from maccau which now in use for my 4ft so far so good skimmer

• SRC Member

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Yeah .. but I plan for this to be more of a hobby and not a chore yeah.. :eyebrow: .. anyway to each his own..

Reef Octopus should be one of the more reasonably priced skimmers.

Another I can think of, though not as cheap, is the APF 600.. quite a big collection cup.. very efficient..

• SRC Member
hi Marc

i got this skimmer from maccau which now in use for my 4ft so far so good skimmer

Looks good.. but I don't like the Hailea pumps.. they generate lots of heat and wattage.

• SRC Member
ya bro.. too overrated.. don't think i will buy any equipment from redsea in future. for such a simple mechanism can cost that much. if it works.. fine, but apparently it doesn't.. felt totally ripped-off.

is tunze nano skimmer good?.. or where can i get aquaC remora.. read good review about this model. called reefdepot but they don't carry this model anymore...

Many have mentioned that the Tunze Skimmers are not very tolerant to water levels.. I don't think you want to go through the hassle. AquaC remora got many mixed reviews. some say good, some says its under performing.

Wait till you see the make of the Tunze 9002. cheap flimsy plastic casing.

But hey, it does its job well.

Yes it is rather water level sensitive. I do not have a ATO but manually top up the water in my 1.5 ft cube 2x a day.

The Performance is good though it does leak some micro bubbles into my tank.

If I ever change my skimmer, it will be just for the MCE 600.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Reef Octopus should be one of the more reasonably priced skimmers.

Yeah, Not to mention performance efficient (:

Another I can think of, though not as cheap, is the APF 600.. quite a big collection cup.. very efficient..

Oh seen before. Imo, not that big either. Sorry. I am looking for HUGE cup!

Imagine my cup can be full in 2 days and leaking skimmate back to the tank on the 2.5 days :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Imagine my cup can be full in 2 days and leaking skimmate back to the tank on the 2.5 days :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Bubble King...but price wise is defintely very high...collection cup is HUGE....i think its very hard or almost impossible get a skimmer with a huge collection cup costing at reef octopus price and works like a deltec and have a chasis as good as a benz...if i am a maufacturer, why would i want to make such a product...sure go burst...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Usually cup size is in relation on the skimmer size.. hard to get one with an oversized cup.

Maybe you need a cup with an outlet so you can connect it to a waste collector. I can't think of many brands off hand.. some models like my Deltec AP701 has it. i think the Bubble Magus have it on some of the series. Or if you can get someone to mod your skimmer cup to incorporate that.

If you really want to know if your skimmer is good...hahahaha...i tell you lah....if an anemone gets into the wavewaver and got blended...and yr tank did not crash...u know u have a good skimmer!

ok, proven deltec is indeed good :upsidedown:

If you the money to spare, which skimmer will you choose?

1) DELTEC OR 2) BUBBLE KING OR 3) ATI BUBBLE MASTER OR 4) GROTECH

Deltec haha. and must be an Eheim pump :P

Sorry ah, I too German-tuned since day 1 of reefing.

However, why am I at Reef Octopus and not deltec is because I don't have the money to own one! :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member
Deltec haha. and must be an Eheim pump :P

Sorry ah, I too German-tuned since day 1 of reefing.

However, why am I at Reef Octopus and not deltec is because I don't have the money to own one! :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

2) and 3) also german-tuned...3) also using ehiem pump.

soon you will have the chance to own one...dun say no money...so long u want it, you will get it....its a matter of time.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

our sponsor www.freshnmarine.com.sg got aquac remora..

for 200-300 , will get aquac or tunze, 500+ can get deltec mce 600

testing a used aquac and i can say it's good!!! :D