GOOD DSLR - Reef, dives, and ofcoz travel

zorden

• SRC Member

As above.. which to go for, canon, sony or NIKON..

I am thinking of going for nikon. any exact model or brands n features to look out for?

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

I am thinking of going for nikon. any exact model or brands n features to look out for?

Canon or Nikon will do fine.

Sony is alright but they have a more limited range of lenses.

GO and handle the DSLR personally and see which set fits your palm better if you are a neutral.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

U want to get a DSLR for diving trips?? The waterproof casing for the DSLR will cost a bomb and also you will need lens ports for different lenses. The most commonly used u/w casings for DSLRs are Ikelite and Seacam. Furthermore you will need to get the u/w flash strobes also.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

I would advise you to think twice. I was shooting underwater previously too, and to be frank, you lose all the diving fun. You will probably end up camping at single location shooting a macro to get an ideal shot or lugging your full set of equipments fighting the current.

You would have to pay extra for excess baggage nearly every flight. I would suggest you do videoing. With a bit of WB knowledge, you can get decent videos.

However, if you are keen to get any UW Photography items, I can introduce you to my friend who own such a business, can usually get good price from him.

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member
I would advise you to think twice. I was shooting underwater previously too, and to be frank, you lose all the diving fun. You will probably end up camping at single location shooting a macro to get an ideal shot or lugging your full set of equipments fighting the current.

You would have to pay extra for excess baggage nearly every flight. I would suggest you do videoing. With a bit of WB knowledge, you can get decent videos.

However, if you are keen to get any UW Photography items, I can introduce you to my friend who own such a business, can usually get good price from him.

bro can check for me how much is a cannon G10 u/w casing ?

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

I think no more G10 unless second hand.

G11 is around S$800

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

bro can check for me how much is a cannon G10 u/w casing ?

I believe you mean Canon. For prosumer camera, its more advisable to get their own brand of housing.

Getting something like Subal or Ikelite is not really worth it, even the cheapest 10bar housing would probably cost you a thousand or something. It is of course another story if you are looking at a complete strobe solution for the prosumer camera.

I think no more G10 unless second hand.

G11 is around S$800

He's looking for the housing :) but you are right.

G11 is $799 and housing at $299 from MSColor :)

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member
I believe you mean Canon. For prosumer camera, its more advisable to get their own brand of housing.

Getting something like Subal or Ikelite is not really worth it, even the cheapest 10bar housing would probably cost you a thousand or something. It is of course another story if you are looking at a complete strobe solution for the prosumer camera.

He's looking for the housing :) but you are right.

G11 is $799 and housing at $299 from MSColor :)

its the same as the price i asked around.. anymore cheaper that 299 ??

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

I LIKE THIS THREAD !!!

As a fellow diver.... and photo/video enthusiast....got info here hehe

more posts !

off topic a lil..... anybody interested going tioman late this month? prob last wkend

• SRC Member

can we make this a sticky.. i will be getting a cam soon thus really need to figure out a good cam for my travelling and also reef. sorry i am bz + lazy to google so prefer to ask..

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
can we make this a sticky.. i will be getting a cam soon thus really need to figure out a good cam for my travelling and also reef. sorry i am bz + lazy to google so prefer to ask..

I would suggest getting a DSLR for normal travelling but for scuba diving/snorkelling, use a compact PnS digicam with the UW casing. It's much cheaper and lighter for travels. Most of the canon IXUS or Powershot series have uw casings rated to 40m depth which should be more than sufficient for normal scuba diving.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

You could email cathay photo and ask them for a quote. Normally their emailed quote is cheaper than what you will get at their shops. But payment is by cash only.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

DSLR UW casing costs a bomb. Buy it if you are really determined to turn pro or semi-pro. For normal recreational use, any compact + UW casing will do. I use a Canon Ixus 950IS with WP-DC15.

You can also use it to take photos of your tank's inhabitants without the refraction problems cause by tank glass. Check out some examples - click here.

BTW, I also carry a DSLR for good quality photos of my kid.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

i would ditch G11 and G10 -- will still opt for the old G9 (if you could get second owned) and canon u/w casings are all good but i'd rely on ikelite casing still for a beginner entry; i've seen manufacturer casings failed too many times (including mine) and i won't let it happen again.

strobes is a good companion for your rig if you want quality pictures and not just a blue hue.....

I am just wondering since there is a thread on DSLR here... Anyone have feedback or reviews on Olympus E-P2 Pen Camera... It seems like more or less a DSLR but in a compact camera size?

Thanks..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

The price for their housing will be around the same. Profit margin is not high for them to slash price. Sales volume is also low which explains why they usually ran out of stock and soon, no more in production.

i would ditch G11 and G10 -- will still opt for the old G9 (if you could get second owned) and canon u/w casings are all good but i'd rely on ikelite casing still for a beginner entry; i've seen manufacturer casings failed too many times (including mine) and i won't let it happen again.

I had seen/heard of reputable brands flooding too. Most of the time, it's due to user fault not properly maintaining the O-rings or installing the ports correctly. There was once I heard the O-ring for one of the buttons failed on a Olympus housing though. Getting a better brand cannot replace user maintenance or user knowledge on what causes flooding.

strobes is a good companion for your rig if you want quality pictures and not just a blue hue.....

Macro pictures only. Strobes can't bring out a balance color in wider pictures and most of the time, user have problems adjusting the angles to get the correct lighting.

Photoshop can do wonders. Just Google for "removing blue hue"...... The main reason for using strobes is to be able to shoot at higher shuttle speed and to be able to do that, investments for "TTL" flash etc is necessary. I was using dual slave strobes, its a nightmare.... :lol: May need to note that even the most powerful full strobe sets can probably cover a few meters ahead of you... Strobe is also good for fill flash when taking UW portraits shots.

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member

there is a pc fair @ suntec. i am comtemplating in getting a dslr for my imminent tour thus still deciding which model. ofcoz my priority will be my

1)tour

2)reef

3)humans (dackie favourite frs)

• SRC Member
The price for their housing will be around the same. Profit margin is not high for them to slash price. Sales volume is also low which explains why they usually ran out of stock and soon, no more in production.

I had seen/heard of reputable brands flooding too. Most of the time, it's due to user fault not properly maintaining the O-rings or installing the ports correctly. There was once I heard the O-ring for one of the buttons failed on a Olympus housing though. Getting a better brand cannot replace user maintenance or user knowledge on what causes flooding.

Macro pictures only. Strobes can't bring out a balance color in wider pictures and most of the time, user have problems adjusting the angles to get the correct lighting.

Photoshop can do wonders. Just Google for "removing blue hue"...... The main reason for using strobes is to be able to shoot at higher shuttle speed and to be able to do that, investments for "TTL" flash etc is necessary. I was using dual slave strobes, its a nightmare.... :lol: May need to note that even the most powerful full strobe sets can probably cover a few meters ahead of you... Strobe is also good for fill flash when taking UW portraits shots.

seems like you got all the knowledge and help we can get here dude.... perhaps you can post pics of your dives and give us some comparisons for photos you took without strobes and photos you took with your strobes? ;)

seems like you got all the knowledge and help we can get here dude.... perhaps you can post pics of your dives and give us some comparisons for photos you took without strobes and photos you took with your strobes? ;)

Firstly, I have some experience, but definitely not all the knowledge you need :P

Secondly, I happen to know a community of UW photographers and attended a few workshops conducted by them.

A good place to go would be Clubsnap, they have a UW sub forum there.

It's been a long time since I last breathe air UW. In fact, I lost most of the pictures over the years after HDD crash multiple times.... These are some pictures I taken with my first UW camera (Or is it second.... can't remember...lol).

4415648385_9bcc35a50b_m.jpg

4415648377_6afaae04a7_m.jpg

4415647315_ea9929c750_m.jpg

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member
Firstly, I have some experience, but definitely not all the knowledge you need :P

Secondly, I happen to know a community of UW photographers and attended a few workshops conducted by them.

A good place to go would be Clubsnap, they have a UW sub forum there.

It's been a long time since I last breathe air UW. In fact, I lost most of the pictures over the years after HDD crash multiple times.... These are some pictures I taken with my first UW camera (Or is it second.... can't remember...lol).

4415648385_9bcc35a50b_m.jpg

4415648377_6afaae04a7_m.jpg

4415647315_ea9929c750_m.jpg

nice pics..... what about photos you have shoot without strobes?

is nikon d90 good? or canon better.. pls advise...

The first basic rule of buying a DSLR is asking your friends around you what DSLR they use...... so you can borrow accessories or lenses you need. All reputable brands deliver pretty good results :)

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member

first question, whats ur budget.

and judging from your D90 budget consideration,

you can consider

Canon: 500D, 50D (a few hundreds more)

Nikon: D5000, love the multi angel live view.

personally i like my D90 but i will like it even more if theres higher ISO

and if i want to upgrade, i will go D700 if i have spare cash to spend.

if u are serious about diving taking picture etc, get a high ISO performance like the D700. that if u have the spare cash to spend.

and i went for nikon D90 because it can be consider mid-range and i find the rest i mentioned, other than D700, rather plasticky.

and next question, how often do you actually have the time/place to dive? is it worth it? thats another question.

my vote goes to D90(got HD video recording)/50D(no video but higer ISO and pixel) for normal using, its good enough.

and video recording do comes in handy.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

some reference.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=82582&hl=

and picture reference? check out my tank thread.

D90 w/ Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D 1:2 Macro, shooting mostly @ ISO200 or 320.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||