Rics not sticking on the rock... Yet

Vlamingi_cont

• SRC Member

Hi guys, my blue ric is still not sticking on rock for abt a month! I want it to stick so I can move it up to a prime spot as I read tt it needs strong light to remain colorful... Any help would be appreciated :lol:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

Hi guys, my blue ric is still not sticking on rock for abt a month! I want it to stick so I can move it up to a prime spot as I read tt it needs strong light to remain colorful... Any help would be appreciated :lol:

Put the ric in a container of nsw filled with coral chips or rock frags at the bottom. Place the container in your sump for a few days and the ric will attach itself to the coral chip or rock frags. Then remove the ric and use super glue gel to stick it on a rock.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

Put the ric in a container of nsw filled with coral chips or rock frags at the bottom. Place the container in your sump for a few days and the ric will attach itself to the coral chip or rock frags. Then remove the ric and use super glue gel to stick it on a rock.

But can don't use superglue??

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

But can don't use superglue??

If you do not want to use superglue gel, then u have to let the ric rest of a piece of LR. Then place it in a container in an ares of low flow with flow in your tank. After a few days, hopefully it will attach to the LR. In this case you will not need to use superglue gel.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

If you do not want to use superglue gel, then u have to let the ric rest of a piece of LR. Then place it in a container in an ares of low flow with flow in your tank. After a few days, hopefully it will attach to the LR. In this case you will not need to use superglue gel.

bro i thought super glue will poision your water?? and care to share how to use it? or is it just glue dye le then put in the tank?

• SRC Member

bro i thought super glue will poision your water?? and care to share how to use it? or is it just glue dye le then put in the tank?

glue it outside of tank. the dip it in saltwater in container to speed up cure. let it dry for a couple of minutes or so (shoudln't harm ur ric), then if you want still to be safe, place it in container with saltwater for a while. then retrun to your tank. this glue (gel-type usually) always used for fragging.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

glue it outside of tank. the dip it in saltwater in container to speed up cure. let it dry for a couple of minutes or so (shoudln't harm ur ric), then if you want still to be safe, place it in container with saltwater for a while. then retrun to your tank. this glue (gel-type usually) always used for fragging.

what do you mean by speed up cure??

and the glue any brand and i dun really get the (gel-type) always thought super glue is super glue =.=

please advice ty^^

• SRC Member

what do you mean by speed up cure??

and the glue any brand and i dun really get the (gel-type) always thought super glue is super glue =.=

please advice ty^^

just do a quick dip. just read this somewhere on fragging. by doing this, it creates a quick-curing period on glue surface, which then holds the glued pieces better. there are lots out there. for me i use loctite gel type, easier to handle than non-gel.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

gluing will not work for rics.. they will still detach themselves..

ohhh ... yes it won't of course. what i'm explaining is only that the ric is already stuck to a coral chip or something, then can glue that to a small rock. otherwise if a big rock, then better use epoxy like aquascape. if iot's actually stuck to a coral chip, can just plug it in any of a rock's crevice ....

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

just do a quick dip. just read this somewhere on fragging. by doing this, it creates a quick-curing period on glue surface, which then holds the glued pieces better. there are lots out there. for me i use loctite gel type, easier to handle than non-gel.

do you have some pictures for me so i can get them later sorry kinda slow in this =(

• SRC Member

Gluing has always worked for me leh, I drop a blob of gel on that small piece of rock the ric is originally attached to, and then press it onto the rock I want it to be on. Worked for 5 rics so far and held on for weeks already, only 1 dropped off when I was rescaping last week.

Anyway super glue gel is not that toxic. You can even use it to seal up cuts on your skin instead of using plaster.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

do you have some pictures for me so i can get them later sorry kinda slow in this =(

the one i use is similar to this (only one piece). shuold be easy to get around in ntuc or home fix it shops i think.

post-17191-1276670732362_thumb.png

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Gluing has always worked for me leh, I drop a blob of gel on that small piece of rock the ric is originally attached to, and then press it onto the rock I want it to be on. Worked for 5 rics so far and held on for weeks already, only 1 dropped off when I was rescaping last week.

Anyway super glue gel is not that toxic. You can even use it to seal up cuts on your skin instead of using plaster.

SERIOUS???? cool i happen to have one elephant super glue later go try^^

• SRC Member

really ???? :blink:

Yup, it was used as a field bandage during the vietnam war I think. Even today, the spray on bandage found in most first aid boxes is mainly cyanoacrylate, the same ingredient as super glue.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Yup, it was used as a field bandage during the vietnam war I think. Even today, the spray on bandage found in most first aid boxes is mainly cyanoacrylate, the same ingredient as super glue.

erm bro then double comfirm so elephant super glue can use hor?

then what about zoas can use the same way to stick them?

• SRC Member

SERIOUS???? cool i happen to have one elephant super glue later go try^^

Bro, super glue gel is different from super glue, make you got the right one if not the watery super glue will make a big mess. Gel type is preferred cos it will not "run" or flow all over the coral when you are sticking.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Bro we mentioned several times, use gel type haha. It is preferred cos the thicker consistency will not make a mess especially after you put it in the water to cure, it hardens immediately holding the same shape.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

nope nope try not to use super glue ... get the gel type. next thing you know your fingers are stuck as well. yes this is used also for zoas.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Bro we mentioned several times, use gel type haha. It is preferred cos the thicker consistency will not make a mess especially after you put it in the water to cure, it hardens immediately holding the same shape.

If you want to use watery one also can but it is more messy and pose a danger to your rics if you apply too much and the glue flow everywhere...

I use normal super glue but it is not easy...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

cool ... i wonder what happens after. i mean does this cyanoacrylate dissolve or just gets removed on it's own across time when the wound heals.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

cool ... i wonder what happens after. i mean does this cyanoacrylate dissolve or just gets removed on it's own across time when the wound heals.

I think it either wears off as you heal or gets absorbed into your body. The super glue made specially for medical uses should have a slightly different recipe that is less toxic. But in an emergency when there is no plaster around, normal super glue can be used to close the wound.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey