Help - Volitan Lionfish - Cloudy Eye

34yehye.jpg

did some research on common causes of cloudy eye:

stress - unlikely as it is the only fish in the tank

physical damage - as mention above, it is the only fish in tank, unlikely due to fight nor rub against rock

bacterial infection - possible cause, but what could have cause it?

nutritional deficiency - daily feeding, with 1 cube size of EITHER frozen market prawn(50%) OR mysis(20%) OR silverside(20%)

2-3 live mollies OR ghost shrimp occasionally(10%)

% in () shows the estimate frequency

poor water quality - water parameter are as follows

ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30-40ppm

pH 8.2, temperature 25-27 degree celsius

what should i do now?

thank in advance for your help

• Senior Reefer

does doing a 20% water change with iwarna NSW help?

but i can only do it during weekend :(

when in doubt, just WC. WC is good and it will correct some quality issues. so yes, do WC.

• SRC Member

bacteria infection. should be of gram-negative bacterium.

caused by bad water quality or too much left overfood or too high a bioload.

dip in antibiotic like befuran will help.

and yes, FW will remove flukes but remember to try to match the FW parameter with ur tank's.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Daily feeding seems too much. 2 to 3 times weekly will be sufficient.

Read the this useful article if you've not came across it: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

quote from article: I would recommend feeding lionfish to the point of seeing a small bulge in their abdomen two to three times weekly. I also recommend starving lionfish for a few days to accurately recreate their natural dietary intake and, in fact. a 3-feedings/week schedule is sufficient to ensure proper growth.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

just took a pix of it

looks like it is infected with ich now

hope it can pull through

96hj6t.jpg

Wish U luck, bro.

I once lost a lionfish that is having the same symptons as yours minus the cloudy eye.

It start with starving and then ich and was gone in about a week plus.

Actually i feel the most important thing now is to get it start feeding again.

My lionfish was a small 2.5 inch though, probably it didnt have enough fat reserve to pull through the starving.

• SRC Member

Best way to rid of Ich is to keep the fishes healthy and water parameters good. As long as they keep feeding, they will eventually beat Ich and become stronger.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

lionfishes are one of the handful of fishes that don't have scales, so keeping them ich free is quite hard. dont copper it though. scaleless fishes are more sensitive to copper.

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Mollies might be the cause...(fresh water feeder fish right?)

If your lion feed on MP then just drop the idea of feeding him with the mollies(i know it's excited to c himeat live)

Base on my experience with my previous panther grouper,i also feed him live food like mollies,swordtail etc from LFS.

For few weeks bo dai ji then suddenly 1 day cloudy eye.After recover the next day i feed again then after eating 1 fish that bugger when underneath rock for hiding which usually dun.

Shortly after later ki chia liao.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

when to read on book n from friends.

Found out that fishes to fishes spread dieases more easy.

Just like dogs to dogs r easily kana but not to human.

Thats also part of the reason people who keep arowanas normally feed frog than fishes coz they need to do the quarantine before feeding it to their precious fish (thou some LFS do quarantine the feeder fish)

But then again nobody will dare to take the risk against $2 for a bag of fishes to a fish that cost more ex. :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!