Custom Made Tanks

Phang

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I'm currently looking for a 5 by 2 by 2.5 tank...

Was wondeering where you guys had yours made and how much you paid for them...

been to a number of tank makers and still considering so decided to post this topic in the hope of getting reviews and opinions of the tanks made either locally or overseas...

To start off... check out Pac Marine's tanks...

chamfered edges, polished glass (12 mm) with very thick black silicon.

Made in Malaysia...always wonder how much manpower they took to get these giants in... :blink:

Sam's fishy business...

chamfered edges, bracing at bottom and top... 12 mm glass.. can customise designs according to your requirements....

nice finishing... not so thick silicon....

Like the bracing at the bottom...(makes the tanks look sturdy!!!)

:D

Comments??

• SRC Member

Hi Chanbi,

I'm only looking for the main tank...

My sump ###### refugium is custom made..

Will post pics once sump is in...

(The Glass maker not really keen on making my main tank ... too big!!!)

My Rack is also custom made... with chengai wood (hope I got the spelling correct)

Really concern about the quality of tanks nowadays...

would definitely need one that would be able to withstand the weight from that kind of volume....

:(

• SRC Member

Yeah...

Very impressive.... onr of the high lights of this forum....

Would be glad if a quote could be made....

would even be better if they would use the same kind of silicon that you used for your tank.....

Then, could sleep in peace.... :D

Thanks Achilles :lol:

Sure thing dude!

Now, I will have to ask you the same thing they ask me...

1. Glass thickness and type (ordinary float, starphire, tempered etc)

2. Overflow box - internal/external - dimensions

3. Where you stay and do you want it built at home..(affects delivery, door size, corridor turning radius, lift opening, height etc)

4. Bracing - what type, thickness, how many?

5. Stand dimensions, plywood and styrofoam protection?

6. Silicon type

7. Number of holes to drill... diameter dimensions

The best is you make a schematic drawing... and he will understand at a glance... measure, measure, measure and remeasure EVERYTHING... you don't want to have the tank built and realise that your main door is too small... or the lift entrance is too narrow... or there is no space to maneuvour around the staircase... then you can just break your tank into pieces and quit this hobby! Hahahaha!

Seriously, take my advice... you can pm me or email me.

• SRC Member

WOW!!!

Here goes...

12mm glass..(float)

Internal Overflow (3 holes : 1 input, 2 output))

Euro bracing.. with 2 centre braces ( with holes)

Preferbably with bracing at the bottom..(like clownfish's tank)

Silicon type : what you are using...

Stand dimensions : something to confess... I trying to place the 2.5 ft width on a 2 ft width area...3 inches sticking out each size... figure that if a 1/2 to 1 inch wooden board nd some modifications made by carpenter should be able to stabilise the tank.... I HOPE SO.... :(

Btw, what kind of dimensions drill bit does your glass maker possesses??

Thanks

Hi Clownfish,

How much you paid to get that made??

Looks good with the all round bracing at the bottom...COOL!

:rolleyes:

Still a few more details lacking... go read my post again.

For my tank, I requested drill-bit size 45mm diameter to accommodate bulkheads for 1" and 3/4".

I think it should be no problem if you get a marine plywood base on top of your stand for the bigger-sized tank to sit on.

Hi Phang

Got my made at sealife, the workmanship is great. My is a 4x2x2.5, have a pictures attached.

Clowntrigger

Hey clowntrigger,

That's a great looking tank! Is that new? Can't wait to see the setup and stocking!

• SRC Member

Yep this is a new tank, has been running 1 month with nothing inside, waiting for it to cycle :( . Well I have been asking this tank from Sealife like 3 or 4 year back, price and bla bla bla..... etc. I has been his customer for the past 10 year or so. Thus what he quoted to me is a special price, so I do not know whether you guys will get it or not. Anyway it is $1600 with all 12mm glass. Trust me, when I compare the workmanship of the cabinet with elsewhere, his really stand out. I was told everything is made local, not sure how true. Also the slump is somehow special as compare to what others has to offer. I truly believe customer satisfaction after being to the few local SW LFS and buying things fromthem and getting support form them, I do not mind paying some extra bucks to get those good total customer experience, trust me, I been through it.

clowntrigger

post-6-1033374699.jpg

• SRC Member

hi all,

I found one tank maker in is Kranji way, which ask ask for a custom make 3x2x2 ft 10mm he tell me is abt $190 w/o sump. jsut next the it the furniture shop i ask for a custom make cabin for the marine fish tank he tell me abt $350 - $360? isit okey if okey i will order it n start for marine reef tank which i will use canister filter like 2217, btw what the cost will i wanted to setup a 3ft tank like this ? wat had do i need to do 1st ? please help me thanks

• SRC Member

clowntrigger, that's the same specs i looking at for an upgrade in a few mths...what thet cost brand new?

Pac marine was selling their display set $1200 incl PL lights,sump(wif old media) & skimmer. exact same specs(think cupboard darker wood)

Hi ECBM, i am not an expert to advice u but the first thing to do is really to read up as much as u can and know what u want to have at the end (like whether it is FO or Reef, type of coral, type of fish) which will affect what u need.

Like my own case, i thought i know what i want after i do a trial on a 2' tank as i move to a 4' tank but soon, i realised that i run out of space, should have do this instead of.... Bottom line, read up and plan up nicely with good patience (good example can be the one that QiXian is going to setup, he has lay down exactly what he want. u can go there and read up).

And maybe u should follow through Achilles new tank setup and have a better feel..

• SRC Member

bawater

the tank with sump and cabinet cost me $1600 but like I say since I have been talking about it like 3 or 4 years back, this is a special price for me. He really keep his promise. Please do not go up to him and say how come he quote me $1600 :) As for buying a second hand tank, I would really consider it espically the cabinet. You need to be really sure it is sturdy and also need to know the age of the whole setup. Buying the skimmer and light secind hand is ok, but not the tank and the cabinet, this is what I think.

clowntrigger

• SRC Member

Hi Clowntrigger,

I like your sump tank ... looks good... esp the tower compartment...

6 mm glass???

Btw, the finishing for the cabinet is pretty impressive....

COOL man... can't wait to see your lifestock in your tank..

remember... do post pics as you progress...

Bawater, if it is the same display tank that i saw, i remember it was setup by Deon like early this yr (should be ~8mth old).

Clowntrigger, the tray compartment will surely come in handy. I like the idea but when i realised it, it is already too late (mine is from Pacific marine).

• SRC Member

I am not sure whether is it 6mm or not, but I have fate in what Sealife does for me. Like I say, the finishing is the best I have seen. I was very tempted to get a new system from Pac marine when he quote me $1400 with 12mm glass, come to think of it..... :rolleyes: ......... I shall not say anymore. Well as for the life stock, I am new to coral as what this tank will house, thus I do not know what will the outcome be like, just need to pray hard... Most likely the tank will be up by end of December as I see that everyone here say that you should add live rock a bit at a time every other week. To house 60kg of rocks, that will take ......... :( well a good tank will also take time, like what everyone is saying, patience is the key to success to reef keeping......

clowntrigger

• SRC Member
Hi All,

I'm currently looking for a 5 by 2 by 2.5 tank...

Was wondeering where you guys had yours made and how much you paid for them...

been to a number of tank makers and still considering so decided to post this topic in the hope of getting reviews and opinions of the tanks made either locally or overseas...

To start off... check out Pac Marine's tanks...

chamfered edges, polished glass (12 mm) with very thick black silicon.

Made in Malaysia...always wonder how much manpower they took to get these giants in... :blink:

Sam's fishy business...

chamfered edges, bracing at bottom and top... 12 mm glass.. can customise designs according to your requirements....

nice finishing... not so thick silicon....

Like the bracing at the bottom...(makes the tanks look sturdy!!!)

Comments??

Who is Sam?

Spiff...

It's 20cm wide.

I am not sure... wouldn't dare guarantee... I did ask the tank guy if I could do away with centre... he said better not. I asked if it could be as thin as 10cm, he said the extra width would give the center brace more grip. It's up to you what you think would give you confidence... :blink:

• SRC Member

Hi Hong,

Sam's Fishy Business is a tank maker...He's located in Aljunied

Been to his place and seen his works... Workmanship not bad..

And of course...Sams the owner.... :rolleyes:

He will customise tanks to specs.. seen some of the tanks from his photo album..

Spiff,

You also thinking of 2 centre 4 inches bracing??? :lol:

I asked the tank maker regarding the placement of metal halides, recommended me 2 centre braces 12mm with 1 inch holes for bulkheads... so won't diffuse the light output from the MHs..... ;)

He also offered to do the eurobracing at 12mm....

:lol::lol::lol: