direct chiller water to tank better or to sump?

• SRC Member

can ppl give advise. which way?

{1}.chiller water to sump dan wit pump to tank better or

{2}.chiller water direct flow to tank better?

present situation on my system i use chiller to sump tank dan pump water to tank. but if i direct chiller water to tank tat will save a pump from it and electric bill oso :eyebrow: so any comment ? :thanks:

most chiller will have an optimum working flow rate which is usually a bit less than what we consider as optimum flow rate for return pump, so you probably wont be able to save a pump.

on the other hand, the chiller outlet water may be too chill to directly return to the display tank, therefore, commonly people will connect chiller outlet to the compartment where return pump is.

• SRC Member

can ppl give advise. which way?

{1}.chiller water to sump dan wit pump to tank better or

{2}.chiller water direct flow to tank better?

present situation on my system i use chiller to sump tank dan pump water to tank. but if i direct chiller water to tank tat will save a pump from it and electric bill oso :eyebrow: so any comment ? :thanks:

What I do is my chiller output returns to my main tank and I have another return pump also. I take it as having redundancy in case either of my pump fails, I will still have flow from my sump to my tank and the chances of my sump overflooding will be reduced.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

What I do is my chiller output returns to my main tank and I have another return pump also. I take it as having redundancy in case either of my pump fails, I will still have flow from my sump to my tank and the chances of my sump overflooding will be reduced.

+1 i using 2 return pumps too, 1 to feed chiller n back to main tank n the other direct to main tank. for sump overflowing, if u design ur return piping nicely, even if u off both pumps, the sump will not overflow....

• SRC Member

+2 on that.. i do that too..

and the direct cold water that enters the tank.. sweet.. :)

• SRC Member

Agreed with bro m12345y. He's trying to say pump used on chiller can't produce such pressure to create wave in your main tank after going through all the coil in it so a return pump is a must. Somemore if not wrong chiller consume the most electric out of all the equipement so the rest shouldn't be much of the issue Liao.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Tks for the info, hmm...i didn't think of that when one pump fails, the other can still circulate the water between tank and sump and also prevent flooding. Good one.