Sump for JBJ Nanocube

ocicato

Hi Guys, anyone here has done up a sump for their nanocube?

I've been toying with the idea for quite some time but is stuck with the portion on getting the water into the sump. Normally, an overflow system will do the trick but the nanocube does not have that. 2 separate pumps for intake and outlet is suicidal. If one of the pump fails :shock: ......I'll be looking at a major disaster.

Ideas anyone? If at the end of the day, the concensus is "no-go". I'll scrap the plan entirely.

you can put in a float switch to cut off the return pump from sump to tank once the IOS water level is below a certain level.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

i did toy with that idea too but have yet to come up with a full proof plan to ensure no flooding...

The potential flooding is my biggest concern. Jacky advised to use float switch. I'll probably fix one each for outlet and return to cut the flow should one of the powerheads fails.

I've been toying with that idea as well. You can DIY an overflow pipe. Like this...

DIY overflow pipe

The JBJ IOS at the back will act as an overflow box and the pipe uses the siphon method. This is actually workable. If the return pump is stopped water will simply stop flowing to the IOS and the flow stops. When the pumps are up again the water will flow back to the IOS and into the pipe and the siphon will continue.

• SRC Member

You can use an Overflow box or a weir. Check this out - http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/misc/6915-overflows-weirs-siphon-boxes-explained.html

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)