Algae Scrubbers

lauep

Wonder does algae scrubber pick up sand particle like the magnet cleaner do when going too bottom of tank n thus scratches the tank?

No it won't, its a algae scrubber not a glass magnet cleaner

• SRC Member

Wonder does algae scrubber pick up sand particle like the magnet cleaner do when going too bottom of tank n thus scratches the tank?

No it won't, its a algae scrubber not a glass magnet cleaner

I am crying......shocked.gifcry.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

Your tank got scratched by algae scrubber is it??

Main Tank: 3ft x 2ft x 2ft

Sump Tank: 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft

Overflow Pump: 4500 l/hr

Lighting: T5 HO Metal Halide

Wavemaker: MP40w

Skimmer: BK Mini 200

Chiller: Arctica DBM-250 1/3hp

Phosphate Reactor: TLF Phosban 150

now really chicken and duck talking already ...... lol ....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

shake head.....

I was really speechless for a long while.blushing.gifblushing.gif

Bro stevenkoh kindly posted a link and discussion on scrubber, then another post right below it asking what is scrubber and if it will damage the tank.... dry.gif

Its not that hard to read up, right?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

i lost my dog yesterday but luckily i found it on google.

with regards to algae scrubber

theres a link right in General Reefkeeping which i have placed here now.

How algae scrubber does not scratch a tank!

PS: the above underlined link can be clicked on.. its fast, easy and fun.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

i lost my dog yesterday but luckily i found it on google.

with regards to algae scrubber

theres a link right in General Reefkeeping which i have placed here now.

How algae scrubber does not scratch a tank!

PS: the above underlined link can be clicked on.. its fast, easy and fun.

Incredible effort! groupwavereversed.gif

Hi Eniram,

btw, I have 2 unused "screw on" CFL bulbs (SAFER Electric 20w 2700K) I am selling if you are interested.

I bought to DIY them a scrubber but later decided to bulk order.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

Thank god you found your dog!

Thanks for the offer bro but isn't this a halogen par38 lamp rather than a CFL lamp? correct me if i'm worng but i do see its spc is a halogen type.

• SRC Member

Thank god you found your dog!

Thanks for the offer bro but isn't this a halogen par38 lamp rather than a CFL lamp? correct me if i'm worng but i do see its spc is a halogen type.

On the box, it states

-direct replacement for all GLS PAR38 spotlight application.

-Unique shape of spiral tube creating almost similar light, brightness and effects as GLS PAR38 spotlight

-Substantial benefits compare to GLS PAR38 spotlight

--Save up to 80% electrical bill

--Longer lamp life up to 4-5 times

--Generate much less heat

--Produce more comfortable light color

--Safe and environmental friendly

--Comply with RoHS requirement

I was wondering how could a halogen lamp be energy saving. wacko.gif

From the message, it should be a halogen "color" CFL replacement for greener choice. sleep.gif

Moreover, I use my hands to remove the bulb after testing at the shop. Don't think its possible for halogen smile.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Hi bros,

recently read a thread in SRC on algae scrubbers.

I will be getting a new 3ft tank this Friday and I am contemplating whether to get an algae scrubber or not.

I understand on the super cool benefits (like high copepods, reduced Phosphate & Nitrate levels and not having unwanted algae growth in the main tank! :shock: ) of having one in the sump compartment.

So far I have not heard any bad reviews or comments of an algae scrubber, which I think its hard to believe. <_< Hmm....

I would like to hear your good & or bad reviews (if you have one, even better!), bros.

Can share your experiences if I should get one for my new tank?

Sincerely to hear from you all. :thanks:

Some of us ordered the SM100 scrubber look-a-like during the bulk order conducted by Stevenkoh and myself.

Bro Steven loves his dual, and I barely started mine.

Some users from other forum did complain of scrubber staining the water. However, SM did mention in his thread that it must be clean frequently, else the bottom layer will brown off and die, leeching color to the tank. Make sense to me, but I suppose the color could be remove by Ozone if you are using one or maybe even activated carbon.

If I ever complain, it would be the power consumption. Running more than 100w a day including the 4 x 24w T5 tubes and pump for 16 hrs everyday is not exactly very economical.

The theory behind the use of scrubber is very logical but some members might feel rather extreme either way. You may want to start up one to help the cycling as the scrubber is truly effective in removing spikes from Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. It might not be a holy grail to reefing but definitely able to control any sudden spikes.

If you are DIYing, remember to design one for easy cleaning, and to clean it every 4-5 days.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Regards,

Billy Cheong

hmm hi i have been using algae scrubber for 3 - 5 month

result reducing lots of algae, i last time have some red slime on live rock with air bubble. but now no more le

last time no3 were very high maybe 40 to 80? colour off the chart ya hard to tell, hahaha.

now i about 30, some times 40 due to feeding i guess.

currently using 12 inch by 12 inch screen with flow rate of 1200 l/hr

2 X 18 W CLF sprial light

well is still kind of not good enough due to flow rate should be 1600 and light position.

as my side of scrubber no algae growth.

well i going to reduce screen width, make water flow within 9 inch see if i can achieve better result. hee hee

• SRC Member

hmm hi i have been using algae scrubber for 3 - 5 month

result reducing lots of algae, i last time have some red slime on live rock with air bubble. but now no more le

last time no3 were very high maybe 40 to 80? colour off the chart ya hard to tell, hahaha.

now i about 30, some times 40 due to feeding i guess.

currently using 12 inch by 12 inch screen with flow rate of 1200 l/hr

2 X 18 W CLF sprial light

well is still kind of not good enough due to flow rate should be 1600 and light position.

as my side of scrubber no algae growth.

well i going to reduce screen width, make water flow within 9 inch see if i can achieve better result. hee hee

increasing your bulb wattage will help a lot. i will go a minimum of 25w per bulb but commercial wattage is at 24 i think.

my idea on this is the scrubber will be competing with the main tank for algae growth and cause of that i am not using a full reverse photoperiod for the scrubber.

for more details, you can post your scrubber pics for SM to see in his thread :D

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

my ideal light is getting 23w , but they dont have reflector, then just manage to find some that is lower W that has reflector hee hee so thats why my W is lower hahaha.

hahaa

Hi Leonard,

Maybe you can share a picture of your scrubber? Would be nice :)

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

can someone advice where to buy the sreen (white nyoin mesh)? My gf bought one from a shop but the "holes" of the mesh is much bigger then the ones thats shown on the web. Think need small holes? This is the one that i saw here which we cannot seem to find in the shop.

post-18437-0-27185800-1370835101_thumb.j