Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Not many reefer will get fishes to that size? Or maybe many will overlook that part of the fish.. LOL..

hehe. not me :P

i want to rebuild my rhomboid harem in my new tank. my old tank i had to decom before i made it complete. :(

rhomboid harem, roseafascia pair and lineatus. 3 kinds enough

i want to rebuild my rhomboid harem in my new tank. my old tank i had to decom before i made it complete. :(

Lineatus ugly lar.. LOL...

SO you eating clownfish now... LOL>...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

terryz! roseafascia will develop a split tail lah. lol.

i hope mine will grow to this size

Hmm one pic of a roseafascia w split tail does not mean all will grow to have split tails. Likewise i can find u ten pictures of alpha male roseafascia and rhomboid with no split tails. Rhomboid tail is a confirmed characteristic of these fishes whereas split tail or not depend on individual fishes. Perhaps the more alpha it gets the more likely it has split tail, maybe u can do an investigation on this split tail trait!

• Senior Reefer

Hmm one pic of a roseafascia w split tail does not mean all will grow to have split tails. Likewise i can find u ten pictures of alpha male roseafascia and rhomboid with no split tails. Rhomboid tail is a confirmed characteristic of these fishes whereas split tail or not depend on individual fishes. Perhaps the more alpha it gets the more likely it has split tail, maybe u can do an investigation on this split tail trait!

ahh a very wise reply. time for my gene mapping to come in handy.

likewise i've noticed two distinct types of rhomboid wrasses from hawaii shipments.

type 1 has short rhomboid tails and short pelvic fins (yours)

type 2 has very very long pelvic fins (like lineatus), and a long tapering rhomboid tail (like rosefascia).

i don't know if this is a geographical variant or just a minor trait characteristic. but i notice these two different traits in rhomboids of similar sizes. which means size is not a factor.

I think it is the alpha alpha male will have.. Or we can catch the fish and cut the tail... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just Joking... LOL..

Member of:

likewise i've noticed two distinct types of rhomboid wrasses from hawaii shipments.

type 2 has very very long pelvic fins (like lineatus), and a long tapering rhomboid tail (like rosefascia).

i don't know if this is a geographical variant or just a minor trait characteristic. but i notice these two different traits in rhomboids of similar sizes. which means size is not a factor.

Think that is difference in the male and alpha male? Maybe, I dunno... Never kept much wrasse before..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Think that is difference in the male and alpha male? Maybe, I dunno... Never kept much wrasse before..

yes i know the difference between alpha male and male.

i've seen rhomboids that are big/small with these traits. alpha = size and size = not a factor. therefore, the alpha-ness does not affect

Rhomboid again? So boring try something else ba. Roseafascia pair? Where u gg to get a pair, now only two females and w lineatus and rhomboid males in your stocklist it'll be likely the two females will stay females forever. Lineatus will grow into an ugly fat fish!

I prefer the following wrasses if they ever become available here:

Hooded, majorie and pintail wrasse

• Senior Reefer

Rhomboid again? So boring try something else ba. Roseafascia pair? Where u gg to get a pair, now only two females and w lineatus and rhomboid males in your stocklist it'll be likely the two females will stay females forever. Lineatus will grow into an ugly fat fish!

I prefer the following wrasses if they ever become available here:

Hooded, majorie and pintail wrasse

rhomboid is boring but it's always been my fav. it's the only wrasse that i've kept before and i will keep it again.

oh don't worry about the roseafascia. i will turn 1 into a male regardless. besides, both are not entirely female now. they are sub-males if i remember them correctly. not to worry about the rhomboid and lineatus. i won't add them in until muchh later.

besides, from the threads in RC, roseafascia are very fierce.

hooded not likely unless vanuatu shipments reappear.

majorie? fat hope unless they show up in fiji shipments but i dunno when we'll get to see it! :(

pintail...... sigh. i think this 1 must continue waiting

Rhomboids come from marshalls and the islands are not big and far enough to cause any geographical variants. So i guess these are minor differences between individual fishes. In one same shipment, u can find some nice males w long pelvic fins and other males w shorter pelvic fins, so i think it all depend on the fish itself. Jux like human beings, within the same race also have tall and short, curly hair straight hair etc!

Tat is why pple chiong rhomboid shipment, everybody wants to snatch the one with the longest tail and fins.

yes i know the difference between alpha male and male.

i've seen rhomboids that are big/small with these traits. alpha = size and size = not a factor. therefore, the alpha-ness does not affect

Hehe, Since holiday, you can spend your time digging out all the data on these difference.. LOL..

Member of:

rhomboid is boring but it's always been my fav. it's the only wrasse that i've kept before and i will keep it again.

oh don't worry about the roseafascia. i will turn 1 into a male regardless. besides, both are not entirely female now. they are sub-males if i remember them correctly. not to worry about the rhomboid and lineatus. i won't add them in until muchh later.

besides, from the threads in RC, roseafascia are very fierce.

hooded not likely unless vanuatu shipments reappear.

majorie? fat hope unless they show up in fiji shipments but i dunno when we'll get to see it! :(

pintail...... sigh. i think this 1 must continue waiting

Hooded, Cf can bring in right? or is it the fiji hooded?

Majorie and Pintail, we wun be able to get in anytime soon bah.. Unless we can try reborn???

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Rhomboids come from marshalls and the islands are not big and far enough to cause any geographical variants. So i guess these are minor differences between individual fishes. In one same shipment, u can find some nice males w long pelvic fins and other males w shorter pelvic fins, so i think it all depend on the fish itself. Jux like human beings, within the same race also have tall and short, curly hair straight hair etc!

Tat is why pple chiong rhomboid shipment, everybody wants to snatch the one with the longest tail and fins.

i dunno leh probably.

oh yeah i forgot rhomboids are only endemic to marshalls.

your rhomboid i kept until over 4 inch, and the tail never develop to the long trailing roseafascia kind. and the pelvic fins are very short

post-15755-12771337421613_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

and look at this with the super long pelvic fins.

and those with the large tail. you're right, probably just a little variation within species. but i like both regardless

post-15755-12771338096671_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12771338155657_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12771338212236_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12771338257498_thumb.jpg

Hooded, Cf can bring in right? or is it the fiji hooded?

Majorie and Pintail, we wun be able to get in anytime soon bah.. Unless we can try reborn???

Hooded from RB recently is the aussie hooded. Vanuatu hooded is nicer and more common but now no vanuatu shipment liao!

Majorie is from Fiji, if LCK can get Fiji colini i dun see why fiji majorie cant reach us!

Pintail is from cebu, so near to us and yet so many of them are flown all the way to US instead of coming to us!

• Senior Reefer

Hooded from RB recently is the aussie hooded. Vanuatu hooded is nicer and more common but now no vanuatu shipment liao!

Majorie is from Fiji, if LCK can get Fiji colini i dun see why fiji majorie cant reach us!

Pintail is from cebu, so near to us and yet so many of them are flown all the way to US instead of coming to us!

CF aunty says her colinis only come from fiji and not phillipines. yet i don't see any fiji fishes. so we can dispute this source.

if LCK can bring in fiji colini, then you're right, he can bring in majorie. but at what cost? if it's more expensive than rhomboid by alot then i won't get it.

we can also try reborn but i think the price will be very high.

as for pintail, they never get shipped to singapore. no demand maybe. unless like the roseafascia, they appear by mistake :eyebrow:

and look at this with the super long pelvic fins.

and those with the large tail. you're right, probably just a little variation within species. but i like both regardless

Rhomboid pics are always so nice, but when i keep it it's so dull in person. I'm now thinking of a way to keep the lineatus tone and slim.