Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

YK your next overseas LFS trip should be TAIWAN!

OMG go Taiwan too look for fishes and corals? Dun bother! I visited the most famous aquatic street in Taipei and talked to a few marine LFS owners there and they themselves feel the market is so disappointingly small. No where compared to ours.

But their freshwater and exotics are on the other hand more vibrant then ours. They can keep snakes, exotic turtles, reptiles, hedgehogs, ferrets etc. Also a lot of rare freshwater fishes there like tanganyika and amazon plecs and rays are sold there slightly cheaper then in singapore.

• Senior Reefer

thanks jeremy.

here's more pictures of the female.

the female is the very red one. i've posted a thread in RC and many ppl agree that it's the hawaiian one.

john copps and hiroyuki tanaka have yet to reply me.

post-15755-0-74037500-1294556222_thumb.j

post-15755-0-11860700-1294556235_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

the happy pair.

i spent quite some time getting two of them. i had to find a male and a female first. 2ndly, i decided it would be cute to have a male with many bars and the female with very little bars.

the two make an outstanding pair with the difference in barring.

of course i did a FW dip and some pre-treatment before adding them to the main tank. and as suspected... many flukes came off both of them.

angels and butterflies are fluke prone and only until recently, i've dipped all of them prior to entering. of course it's no where near full length QT. but it's better than nothing.

post-15755-0-48620700-1294556284_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

I like this guy very much. recently moved house to live under the turbinaria. so it's very easy to spot him.

I'm aware that there are two Priolepis species that look almost identical.

the true P. nocturna and the other one, Priolepis sp which is undescribed.

P. nocturna if i'm not wrong, has thick black bars and thick white bar contrast with no smudges inbetween. the undescribed one tend to be more brownish and have white smudges in the brown part and brown smudges in the white part.

I'm not a goby expert so i don't know how to differentiate them phenotypically. but i believe mine is not the true P. nocturna, but the undescribed closely related one.

this is a classic example showing that the fish does not have to be rare to be undescribed. this goby is commonly offered in the trade with some regularity, and both the true nocturna and this unidentified one can be bought here in SG.

post-15755-0-23838600-1294556647_thumb.j

the happy pair.

i spent quite some time getting two of them. i had to find a male and a female first. 2ndly, i decided it would be cute to have a male with many bars and the female with very little bars.

the two make an outstanding pair with the difference in barring.

of course i did a FW dip and some pre-treatment before adding them to the main tank. and as suspected... many flukes came off both of them.

angels and butterflies are fluke prone and only until recently, i've dipped all of them prior to entering. of course it's no where near full length QT. but it's better than nothing.

So they din fight! Nice contrast.

• Senior Reefer

So they din fight! Nice contrast.

yah they did not fight at all.

the very red one is a female. the anal fin is stubby and roundish. and has less blue markings.

the male from the pic u can see the dorsal and anal fins are very long and sharp, almost like a holacanthus angel. there's also much more blue than the female.

yah they did not fight at all.

the very red one is a female. the ###### fin is stubby and roundish. and has less blue markings.

the male from the pic u can see the dorsal and ###### fins are very long and sharp, almost like a holacanthus angel. there's also much more blue than the female.

Your FTS looks empty now after the death of the fishes.

Next week should hav a few shipments coming in!

• Senior Reefer

Your FTS looks empty now after the death of the fishes.

Next week should hav a few shipments coming in!

dont remind me.

past few weeks i have lost many of my rarest fishes in my collection.

JUMPING, MIA-ING....UGH.

• Senior Reefer

dunno what Acropora this is, but it's one of my absolute favourites.

it managed to keep it's beautiful teal colouration. but the pink tips are slightly gone now. but its still a gorgeous piece. i like it.

post-15755-0-62118600-1294561578_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

super neon green acro frag. the green is intense and still keeping it after so long.

a pink birdnest from previous walt smith shipment. it was brown due to neglect but the pink is coming back!

post-15755-0-93670700-1294561637_thumb.j