Green bubble algae

Any reefers can help me ID this algae and any idea if its good bad or ugly?

it started to appear and bloom when i added 2 more T5s from 4 to 6.

post-1286-12742690158198_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

green bubble algae.

IMO one of the worst algae you can get. it will spread all over and very quickly. don't burst them.

i'm not sure how to remove them without spreading them, control your nutrients i guess. emerald mithrax crabs are known to eat them.

maybe u can kill them by removing the rock out of your tank first

Ya, It is Green Bubble algae, called "ventricaria ventricosa" too.... also under "VALONIACEAE" Division.. :)

Pls find some useful info from Reefkeeping online magazine :

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

you may try Urchins to control them....

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

CF

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

green bubble algae.

IMO one of the worst algae you can get. it will spread all over and very quickly. don't burst them.

i'm not sure how to remove them without spreading them, control your nutrients i guess. emerald mithrax crabs are known to eat them.

maybe u can kill them by removing the rock out of your tank first

Alamak a bit too late! burst a few before and now i know why its all over the tank sigh thanks guys!

Issit? My urchin had one little bubble carried on its back...together with other corals.... It didn't seems to clear my g.bubbles. Side track, my urchin ate the pure algae on my tank wall...I'm so pisssed with it...

About good or bad... a few of them you may find nice, head aches when you see them bloom too much...

Or try ZeoZym Once a weeks. I found quite effective for green algae control.. But some claim they may causing "burn tip effect" on sps.. Not too sure about it.. My tank only have some simple sps... For more info, You can find them @ ReefDepot :)

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/korallen-zucht-zeozym/

Cheers and Happy Reefing..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Issit? My urchin had one little bubble carried on its back...together with other corals.... It didn't seems to clear my g.bubbles. Side track, my urchin ate the pure algae on my tank wall...I'm so pisssed with it...

Ya, it depends individual... my colleague facing the same issue as you. His urchin finished all Coraline algae before pay attention to green algae..

My previous small tank in office keep one very hard working "Red Radiating urchin" from Henry (ML), any green algae enter to the tank, this guys will finished before moving to other areas..

note* For those like to keep coralline, they r not good candidate..

Cheers....

• Like 1

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Ya, it depends individual... my colleague facing the same issue as you. His urchin finished all Coraline algae before pay attention to green algae..

My previous small tank in office keep one very hard working "Red Radiating urchin" from Henry (ML), any green algae enter to the tank, this guys will finished before moving to other areas..

note* For those like to keep coralline, they r not good candidate..

Cheers....

Below shows how "Red Radiating urchin" looks... very attractive outlooks... very good algae eater... but too bad he take coralline too....

http://www.starfish.ch/Fotos/echinoderms-Stachelhauter/seaurchins-Seeigel/Astropyga-radiata.jpg

post-9248-12742781306086_thumb.jpg

cheers....

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I also have the green bubbles algae like wat TS mentioned. But mine's growing on the fence of the overflow compartment.

How ah??? Can just clear it off like that coz scrape Liao will flow into filter right?Or dun risk better?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

How effective is the zeozym? Coz I wan something to confirm can get rid wan dun1 later buy Liao waste money. Dun1 trial n error.

Thanks.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Below shows how "Red Radiating urchin" looks... very attractive outlooks... very good algae eater... but too bad he take coralline too....

http://www.starfish.ch/Fotos/echinoderms-Stachelhauter/seaurchins-Seeigel/Astropyga-radiata.jpg

post-9248-12742781306086_thumb.jpg

cheers....

The funny thing is, my urchin, basically pick up zoas frag and even bubble algae onto itself.

haha its kinda cute as well! Personally, mine doesnt eat the green algae.

• SRC Member

So long as you dnt burst the bubble, it shouldnt multiply.

This wan no logic leh. If no burst it wun multiply then how it come out in 1st place?

Sigh... Headache when such nuisence stuff grow in my tank somemore cannot anyhow remove...

• SRC Member

This wan no logic leh. If no burst it wun multiply then how it come out in 1st place?

Sigh... Headache when such nuisence stuff grow in my tank somemore cannot anyhow remove...

if u burst it...the algae will float around in your tank and start to propagate elsewhere...

How they appear in the first place is probably your live rock is not cured properly before u purchased and secondly, your tank have high nutrients that stimulate their growth...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

if u burst it...the algae will float around in your tank and start to propagate elsewhere...

How they appear in the first place is probably your live rock is not cured properly before u purchased and secondly, your tank have high nutrients that stimulate their growth...

ic. Pls enlighten pls help any way to remove them? Anything to add. FYI mine grow on overflow there. On the fencing where prevent fishes from dropping in wan.

Rocks everything checked. No algae or anything.

• SRC Member

ic. Pls enlighten pls help any way to remove them? Anything to add. FYI mine grow on overflow there. On the fencing where prevent fishes from dropping in wan.

Rocks everything checked. No algae or anything.

fyi, i also have the same problem...u either use your hands or twitter to pluck them or a toothbrush to scrub it n let it run for a while and after that, change your filter wool.

These r algae that likes to grow in high flow areas...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

fyi, i also have the same problem...u either use your hands or twitter to pluck them or a toothbrush to scrub it n let it run for a while and after that, change your filter wool.

These r algae that likes to grow in high flow areas...

Oh ok. Just that simple??? Mine not those hairy wan know thou there's some at the overflow there. M refering to the bubble type. So same ah? If same then I'll do it later Liao.

• SRC Member

Oh ok. Just that simple??? Mine not those hairy wan know thou there's some at the overflow there. M refering to the bubble type. So same ah? If same then I'll do it later Liao.

same method can be deploy...

another natural method in the LR is to get abalone or sea hare...but sea hare pang sai alot...

btw, have not seen you post pics of your tank....n your zeng sports car... :eyebrow:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

same method can be deploy...

another natural method in the LR is to get abalone or sea hare...but sea hare pang sai alot...

btw, have not seen you post pics of your tank....n your zeng sports car... :eyebrow:

Abalone cannot la. End day will keep inside my stomach lol.

How u know I got Zeng car?

So just remove it the way u mention wun eventually infested everywhere right?

• SRC Member

Abalone cannot la. End day will keep inside my stomach lol.

How u know I got Zeng car?

So just remove it the way u mention wun eventually infested everywhere right?

Great world city, cold storage got sell live abalone...$4.20 each...can help to eat your algae...

Use a twitter...those u use to trim your nose hair also can...best is u standby siphon to suck them in case some of them fall into your water...or burst...

"how u know i got zeng car"...hur hur... :whistle:eyebrow:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Can can. Will standby piping to suck the algae then.

Wow... Secret leh dun tell me how u know ah... Haha.

K la. Thanks for your help. If u got go BBQ this Friday then we meet.

• SRC Member

Finally got those green bubble aglae removed.

Use a brush n standby hose to siphon as told by ahsiang.

Haha now looks much better. Hope no particles fall into my tank n grow new wan.

Actually by plucking the bubble algae out you are actually releasing spores into the tank. So in other words your tank will have more of those green bubble algae

• SRC Member

Actually by plucking the bubble algae out you are actually releasing spores into the tank. So in other words your tank will have more of those green bubble algae

How certain is this? 100% confirm,majority or maybe?I got use hose to siphon know? Very carefully n slowly.