Ehiem 1264

DUCADOS

• SRC Member

Thinking of getting a 1264(4500l/h) for my tank.

Wonder any1 using something stronger than this n is this too strong for my tank?

Output is just a straight PVC pipe at 1 side of my overflow, around 2inches below water surface.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member
tEc' date='22 May 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1274498404' post='912271']

1264 is not over powered for ur tank....my tank size is smaller than urs, but i using aquabee 7000 + ehiem 1262

Wow. Really ah? Kaoz... Whole tank wun be like tornado meh? When current hit the glass then repeat n repeat again.

Fishes ok ah?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

For me, choose a pump that match your skimmer pump. If pump too strong, the skimmer wouldn't catch all the water that is needed to be cleaned. The uncleaned water goes back to the main tank where algae will have a chance to consume.

Bro BFG what u've answer is kind of ???

but for 1264 sure it not going to over power, may even need strong wavemaker if u intend to have coral.

do a divide out to get in between 30-50 times of ur tank turn over rate.

• SRC Member

For me, choose a pump that match your skimmer pump. If pump too strong, the skimmer wouldn't catch all the water that is needed to be cleaned. The uncleaned water goes back to the main tank where algae will have a chance to consume.

But how to?

• SRC Member

but for 1264 sure it not going to over power, may even need strong wavemaker if u intend to have coral.

Wat u mean by that?

• SRC Member

But how to?

Look at you skimmer pump rating.

Of course you'll need wave maker, you cannot depend on return pump to be a wave maker as the water movement from the 2 equipment produce different result. I once had a Red Dragon 8 2m3 pump and a APF600 skimmer with a 1250 feed pump. Result was display tank full of algae while the skimmer produce kopi o skim mate. Since the Red dragon pump broke down, replace it with a 1262 return pump and change skimmer to BK SM250, skim mate very muddy and algae growth had lessen very much. Tank size 4x2x2. This is my experience, you need to know where to put more money in your equipment.

• SRC Member

Icic. But my skimmer pump is 2000l/h so I can't be using a return pump that capacity right?

The effect is gonna be worse than wat I'm having now lo.

Really cannot use a return pump more powerful than the skimmer pump meh?

not really i've use a 16000L pump, yet using a gravity feed for the AP851 skimmer

logic is u need to get a skimmer to meet ur needs, and from there it'll control the so call algea (abit) regardless of ur return pump

but of all u need a good circulation in ur main tank so it'll also lessen the algea problem.

A skimmer is the skim out those waste from the surface of water which ever went in, even u have a strong return pump or low return pump it'll still do the job well

my is that i feed my fish 10 times a day and i'll only need to clean the glass once a week.

but do remember the lesser water exchange the lesser oxygen, unless ur tank water surface having stronge wave

i use to have a 4ft which i use to have Rio27 6000L/H wave maker

which is not enough for me also cause of i can see the fishes start to get lazy.

chk water parameter all ok than a ex senior reefer told me this and i try with Rio32 and 12000L/H wavemaker

all swimming happily and eats well

ever since then i belive on flow rate for the return pump is very important

what bro underwater is right for return pump u need about 10 times and above liao excludeding the wave maker

• SRC Member

Wat will the senior here advise me for wavemaker if I insist on using ehiem as u guys should know biggest ehiem produce is model 1264(4500l/h)???

in terms Ehiem is reliable for it name and product. (as to history)

wat i know is that it'll have lesser headloss

so if u going to have a tank of 4ft try using aquabee 7000 (if have burget)

Even though u still can get the Laguna pump or RIO-27 and above (this two i've use before even now)

do a good planing before start purchase item or else u'll keep on changing like what i use to do (in the end spend more than expected)

but bro BFG do u have strong water surface movement if so than should be ok

and what u say is right also but as long ur skimmer keep on working, it still able to clean up the water over the times and times

• SRC Member

in terms Ehiem is reliable for it name and product. (as to history)

wat i know is that it'll have lesser headloss

so if u going to have a tank of 4ft try using aquabee 7000 (if have burget)

Even though u still can get the Laguna pump or RIO-27 and above (this two i've use before even now)

do a good planing before start purchase item or else u'll keep on changing like what i use to do (in the end spend more than expected)

Not that I dun1 use. Just wanna spend on something that could last really long.

• SRC Member

then get an aquabee will be better to have biggger flow rate

and get a rio on the lower price but it also strong also

Dunno leh for other brand yes they have stronger flow rate but dunno durable or not leh.

Still prefer ehiem.

u can consider using a 1264 (100 watts, 4500l/hr) n a rio 20 (50w, 5400l/hr before headloss)...use both at the same time...turnover will definitely be very high, definitely nt so siong for ur wallet, as well as limited heat due to power consumption...

my 2 cents

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

Using 2 at the same time meaning total if 9900l/h for my return?

Wow... Tsunami ah? Lol. Anyway also doubt my overflow there de piping can consumed that much of water in an hour into my sump. If can then main tank will overflow.

Using 2 at the same time meaning total if 9900l/h for my return?

Wow... Tsunami ah? Lol. Anyway also doubt my overflow there de piping can consumed that much of water in an hour into my sump. If can then main tank will overflow.

haha wun tsunami...u can put split ur return pipe outlet using t joint...

it all depends on ur overflow box...the piping down into ur sump...as long as its big enugh, shouldnt be any problem wif overflooding...wats the size of the piping for urs? im using a 30mm for my current 3x2x2 and a 1264...

as for 2 returns, i will be trying tat out for my new project :eyebrow:

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025