New additions to my tank: The Pom Pom Crab

TFMANIAC

I recently added 4 Pom Pom crabs into my Hermit Heaven Tank. They had been in hiding for the good part of 2 weeks when 2 days ago, they were scrambling about at the break of dawn. I dashed to my camera and snapped some shots.

Enjoy and spread the Invertebrate Love.

PomPom13.jpg

Enjoying the sunlight.

PomPom12.jpg

I guess it was feeling emotional and decided to bask in the morning sunlight. Did not realise how hairy they were.

PomPom11.jpg

Check out its butt. errm I don't know why crabs like doing that.

PomPom10.jpg

Found the good spot.

PomPom09.jpg

Looking for a better spot to feed. Wave the anemones baby!

PomPom08.jpg

Walking away from the Xenia.. too bright I guess.

PomPom07.jpg

Just out for a walk.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

PomPom06.jpg

Showing one another who's boss.. this was a joy to watch. Awesome behaviour.

PomPom05.jpg

Showing one another who's boss.. this was a joy to watch. Awesome behaviour.

PomPom04.jpg

Hanging out in the Xenia

PomPom03.jpg

Hanging out in the Xenia

PomPom02.jpg

One of them chose the shade of the Green Star Polyps as its home.

PomPom01.jpg

A Porcelain Crab trying to invade its territory.

I'll post more pictures when they make such an appearance again.

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

I need to get one.

kekeke.. same.

Let me know if you spot one....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

don't stop at just one guys... at least 3 individuals!!

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice, not easy to get them thriving. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Cute buggers.. but get one? Trust me. They hide most of the times.. Get 5.. hehe..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Quite hardy animals. You don't have to feed them directly, they will eat whatever scraps they can find. As with all other crustaceans, try to keep your nitrates below 10ppm. High nitrates are bad for crustaceans.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 2 weeks later...

yup it's important to keep the nitrates in check or else many dead inverts will decorate your sandbed.

• SRC Member

Wat they do? As in got wat advantages if keep them?

How much they cost n max size they can grow?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

they are pretty much part of the clean up crew. they eat whatever bits they can find and don't get any bigger than a 50 cent coin.

cost wise should not exceed $15

• SRC Member

they are pretty much part of the clean up crew. they eat whatever bits they can find and don't get any bigger than a 50 cent coin.

cost wise should not exceed $15

Seems like not bad hor base on the way u describe...

Current which LFS carry?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

They like to keep intruders away from their hideout by shooing them with their anemones. Other than that, they are not dangerous to any other inhabitants. You got to watch out as some fish would go at them for a meal.

yah you got to watch out when they shed their shells. they will place their anemones in a safe location and then shed. During this time, I've witnessed my Magenta Dottyback having a go at one. Lost one Pom Pom Crab this way. Ensure there are enough safe hiding placed for these guys.

• SRC Member

Now which LFS selling? Ah beng,iwarna n pinnacle dun have...

what pom pom crabs eat?