Protein skimmer

• SRC Member

How about noise from chiller? For me, the noisiest part of my tank is when the chiller kicks in. Drowns out everything else.

Actually most skimmers are quiet, except the cheaper n lousier quality ones. Especially when housed inside the cabinet, you will not hear a thing.

• SRC Member

How about noise from chiller? For me, the noisiest part of my tank is when the chiller kicks in. Drowns out everything else.

Actually most skimmers are quiet, except the cheaper n lousier quality ones. Especially when housed inside the cabinet, you will not hear a thing.

i am going to get hailea 1/10, read many reviews and youtube, it seems it's running quiet.

• SRC Member

Most bros have the tank in the living room/dining room area.

Actually noise is v. subjective. I suggest you go down to LFS or home visits to find out how noisy it actually is. To me, the 'noise' from my tank is minimal and doesn't cause any disturbance.

• SRC Member

if u put in the study room...the "noise" will be more obvious due to confine area...

Secondly, there will always noise from chiller not to mention the heat as well coming from the chiller...If u want to minimise the noise n heat from chiller, then your room have to be well-ventilated in the day and probably, u need to switch on the air-con in the day.

Thirdly, there will be humming sound from skimmer for sure...due to pump....

Most of these noise can be reduced dramatically, if one's tank is custom-built with cabinet and sump.

For small RSM tanks...i'm afraid minimal noise and a well-built marine system, are not the top priorities from the manufacturer but rather a simple plug-and-start system that is sustainable in the short-run for newbies and nano reefers who just want to keep simple fishes like clowns and some soft corals, is the main priority.

• Like 1
l7304smr.jpg