Add coral when cycling the tank

hi all, can i just ask few question? is it ok to add in coral when i cycling the tank? and what coral to add? zoas and mushroom? i have 3ft tank 3x2x2. plan to have tangs in my tank.. and few small coral.

Thanks a lot....

its been running for 3weeks-1 month by now... so i think i can add in few coral? i intend to cycle the tank for 2 month before i add in any fishes. thanks for any advice given.... btw i have lifestock in another tank that have been set up for few years.. so before i transfer my fishes, i want to add in coral first.. like some zoas..

oo yeah intend to transfer powder blue tang, yellow tang and blue tang.. from old tank.. few fishes got it from nice reefer bro here as well.. but i want to add in few more new fishes..

• 2 weeks later...

hi all... ummm...just to share...i'm currently cycling my tank with a mushroom coral and zoa coral and LR...added market shrimp...added bacteria culture..and with the protein skimmer turned off(so not to remove the bacteria?).... and its been about more than week already...well..as expected...the zoa didnt do well due to presence of ammonia(not opening up and white sludge appearing around it due to stress?) but so far the mushroom coral is doing well i presume? they are blooming and getting bigger and theres already new ones appearing on the LR nearby. the hitchhickers( a small crab and a small slug) seems to be doing pretty well too.i tried adding just plain tap water to cover up the evaporation and doesnt seem to affect the corals. oh and i'm only giving them light for only 6 - 8 hours a day(newly added bacteria peforms and colonise better in the dark?)so yeah...btw my tank is a 2x2x2 feet tank.

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

• SRC Member

hi all... ummm...just to share...i'm currently cycling my tank with a mushroom coral and zoa coral and LR...added market shrimp...added bacteria culture..and with the protein skimmer turned off(so not to remove the bacteria?).... and its been about more than week already...well..as expected...the zoa didnt do well due to presence of ammonia(not opening up and white sludge appearing around it due to stress?) but so far the mushroom coral is doing well i presume? they are blooming and getting bigger and theres already new ones appearing on the LR nearby. the hitchhickers( a small crab and a small slug) seems to be doing pretty well too.i tried adding just plain tap water to cover up the evaporation and doesnt seem to affect the corals. oh and i'm only giving them light for only 6 - 8 hours a day(newly added bacteria peforms and colonise better in the dark?)so yeah...btw my tank is a 2x2x2 feet tank.

sounds to me that your tank may be like a time bomb waiting to explode ... mushies are very hardy, relying on trace lements and lighting. while you see them opening up big now and spreading, can be very fast that you see them shrink and melt. have you checked your parameters already ? more so, you are adding 'tap' water, you will do better with distilled at least. peace already posted the link on tank cycling, so it's best to read through. also, first thing's first, check your params. just my 2 cents. cheers !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

why do you put livestock in when your tank have not even cycled and some of us adviced you not to?

you said you put the market prawn in. this prawn is to kick start the cycling.

you're only going to kill your livestock like this.

the link posted by peacemaker is about cycling and i presume you did not read

"well..as expected...the zoa didnt do well due to presence of ammonia(not opening up and white sludge appearing around it due to stress?"

if you expected this why did you add the zoa inside in the first place? you know that it will die from the ammonia spike caused by cycling.

read through the link peacemaker provided please.

<_< <_< <_<

This is another tank that is bound to crash IMO... You are wasting and killing corals and not doing our environment a favor... These are living things not toys... You make it sound as if it is not a big issue...

The ammonia will kill every living thing in your tank when it is at its peak... Not to mention even 1 ppt of Ammonia is enough kill...

I am really skeptical if you did any research before starting this hobby...

Sorry if I sound harsh, this kind of reefers really make me pissed...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Seriously dude you gotta read more before doing anything in Reefing! Its a very delicate system that needs to be understood before you do anything. Cannot anyhow play a fool.

I have been reading for a month, am still waiting for my tank, after that still must wait for water to cycle (approx 3-4wks).

Patience dude patience! I'm sure you don't wanna see your tank crash.

YOU GOTTA READ UP MORE!