Singtel/Starhub/ M1

Recommended Mobile Service Provider  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Mobile Service Provider

• SRC Member

Mobile phone contract ended soon..

currently using Singtel..

Parents adviced me to switch to Starhub,

some of my friends told me not to overlook M1..

so i'm just curious,

base on your PERSONAL experience,

which mobile service provider would you recommend me?

which has a better signal, or reception?

how about customer service?

reading all these feedbacks would help me decide which line I should sign up for..

I've about 1 month or so to decide :)

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

For aftersales customer service i vote for singtel

Reason: when u lose ur phone or sim they able to bring the sim card to ur door step on the same day

For best offer i vote for starhub

Reason: they able to do an advance upgrade for u in order to get a replacement phone best of all their price are cheap

As for M1 don't really know bout them but their plan line are cheap due to long term u save on the plan

• SRC Member

now all the price plans are quite similiar...

think the best service is from singtel but still suck like mad... that being said starhub and m1 are worst!!

signal wise think singtel still the best.. you can even get reception in batam!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

I am a Starhub user for 5 years. Switching telco has not come across my mind because the prices in SH are cheap and the signal reception is improving for Starhub. I know iPhone is a hot phone now in the market but surprisingly, my gf's iPhone on Singtel cannot receive any signal once inside our lecture halls. Starhub so far does not have this problem (: I'm on my 2nd year with my Nokia E71 from Starhub. Well, still can talk, sing and play mahjong wherever I am in Singapore. (:

Also, I've worked in Starhub before. I have seen the good side of Starhub as well as the bad side of Starhub. IMO, the bad side such as poor customer service is indepedent of each individual. Some Singaporeans are really ridiculous in terms of their expectations and demands! Somehow, they think the CSOs in Starhub are supermen/superwomen, iron-men and wonderwomen! Best of all, GODs! Sometimes, somethings we cannot turn and bend the rules, we have to follow the book. But more often than nought, we try our best to make sure everyone has a positive experience in our shop. A great example is just how we handled the iPhone launch and pre-collection for our customers.

It has been 1 year and counting since I left Starhub. Given today's topic, I cannot help but to stand up and speak for my ex-colleagues regards to such an issue otherwise the misconception that Starhub is the worst in the market will always linger and stay on.

HTH bro (:

P.S: Starhub offers a good deal of promos too! You can get mobile early recontract without having to pay the addition $100 if your plan is 1 year or 1 year plus old but lesser than 2 years and on top of that you can a discount off the price of the phone. hahaha however, that's only applicable to recontract (: new line not applicable (: but just think about every 1 year you can change a new phone, that's such a big clause! :D As far as I know since I last spoke to a Singtel CSO, there's no such thing in Singtel. IMO, their contracts really tie you down long long :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

+1 on the early recontract thingy, I have changed a phone almost every year since I signed on with Starhub 9 or 10 years ago. They are really flexible and really don't hold back when rewarding loyal customers. Anytime after 1 year into a phone contract, I can just call them up and ask for a voucher to buy a new phone, and a waiver to end my contract early (usually at least $200).

I don't think the other 2 telcos are so chin chai with their customers. :score:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

not sure about phone .. M1 quite ok.. used that for the first 8 years of my mobile phone life.... then I switch to singtel 1.5 years ago and I realise that singetel has better rates especially when I call from overseas since they charge in either per second or 6 second blocks vs M1 which charged by the minute!

So I think if purely local calls.. M1 is good enough.. but if you are a travel, then SIngtel is better.

Starhub have no experience, but from my gaming friends complaints.. seem that starhub sucks for internet connection... we call it Hub Lag. lol

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

+1 on the early recontract thingy, I have changed a phone almost every year since I signed on with Starhub 9 or 10 years ago. They are really flexible and really don't hold back when rewarding loyal customers. Anytime after 1 year into a phone contract, I can just call them up and ask for a voucher to buy a new phone, and a waiver to end my contract early (usually at least $200).

I don't think the other 2 telcos are so chin chai with their customers. :score:

I don't know about M1, but Singtel sends my entire family a whole stack of vouchers/free phone/bill rebate every year.

• SRC Member

oh.. i didnt know about Starhub's advance upgrade..

looks like that would be a big plus point for me to change my line to Starhub..

reception wise, i've no issues with singtel...

hope the "bad reception" reputation Starhub has wouldnt be as bad as what most would say..

keep the comments coming :ThanxSmiley:

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

I don't know about M1, but Singtel sends my entire family a whole stack of vouchers/free phone/bill rebate every year.

every year???

wow..

could it be that your family members are all heavy usage on ur mobile bills?

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

Actually we don't really spend alot on our phone bills. Hardly go above our monthly limit for phonecalls or smses. At least for my family, loyalty pays. Have been with Singtel since day 1, never change telco. IMO they have v. good service. We have not had much problems with them and whenever we feel they charged us unreasonably, just give them a phonecall and they will waive the fee by crediting it back into our account.

For example had abit of problems with my broadband about 6-8 years back? turns out the person who installed magix when it first came out did a poor job with the wires and were corroded. They charged us with the bill and my mom called up reasoning with them that it wasn't our fault that we had to change our telephone lines, so they waived all charges.

I recently bought my iphone and was too busy to go down to a singtel shop to buy one. So did an online transaction, but their delivery options were limited. So I called in to request for a delivery at a specific hour (after office hours) and they were quite happy to accomodate me. From a logistics point of view, that is actually v. commendable. And a big plus point was that I actually bought the iphone before they had the 12gigs 3g free service. They called me up and automotically 'upgraded' my plan so I got to enjoy the free 12gigs 3G service. I know my friends using Starhub were not able to get the same upgrade even when they called them up.

My gf's BB had been acting up last month coz singtel having problems with their email services to my gf's company. BB customer service is another league of it's own. Person was knowledgeable, apologetic as the problem had to do with some server issue at the back end, but was on call all the way to handhold my gf through. (I'm sure all you corporate BB users will appreciate this when emails are literally your life)

So tt pretty much sums up some of my exp. with Singtel over the last 10+ years. Not bad indeed.

Kiko,

you are still watching BPL next year right? meaning you have mio tv?

try to get stay with the same service provider for BB, mobile and cable tv.

you get greater savings this way.

example: My 2 mobile phones has a 20% discount because I have the mio tv and internet connection from Singtel.

If you are thinking of just mobile, then Singtel and Starhub are pretty similar.

each time you switch, they offer you an additional $100 discount on handsets.

So just go the the best deal.

BTW, if you are on broadband, try giving them a call and let them know you wish to terminate.

To retain you, Starhub is even willing to give you a 30% discount on the monthly subscription. (happened to me)

So you can try and see if you can get the discount. 30% is a lot....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

I've been with "Orange" since they started CDMA phones. Can say one of the pioneers. Always loved their quirkiness. Then, it was a fresh and welcome change from the very rigid Reds.

Have 3 lines under my name with them. Am in their sunriser program, which means I get $500 voucher every year. Speaking of which I just received this year's and planning to get a new phone. (android or iPhone 4??)

Got my golden number from them without paying additional fee or auction.

(my mobile number ends with 1111)

reception wise: no issues at all

hotline service: anytime green, never tried the red. So can't comment.

I guess I will only switch if reds can match this kind of perks I get from orange.

Ah, of cos all these come at a price, monthly bill is ard 4 blue notes.

Anyway, it's ORANGE for me.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.