Waves in our tank!!

• SRC Member

Does wavemakers with timers really make a healthier reef? Cause I'm considering to get the new hydor wavemakers fo my tank, and for the controllers, I'll get the Jbj one... So does it really help?

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer

yes. wavemakers are just as any other equipment

without a wavemaker, your reef will not make it.

Many corals require flow that the wavemaker can generate

many fishes require turbid water movement to survive

last but not least, wavemaker helps to improve water circulation. the single most important thing in your tank. without water movement, water is stagnant and a whole bunch of problems will arise

that being said, my advice is just for standard useful wavemakers.

if you want one that is more for toy purpose like controlling, wave effect etc, then it's up to you.

• SRC Member

controllable wavemakers mostly is used for making "waves" current from left to right with the correct settings.

Not really a must as it might look more beauitful and the corals might like and must be suitable for this flow (some are too strong and LPS dont like it).

Really depends on how you set it.

Not really a must if you just point normal wavemakers to dead spot will also do.

my 2 cents and hth

most corals do not like constant current driving at one direction.

they will be happier with variations....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

most corals do not like constant current driving at one direction.

they will be happier with variations....

This is where the Wavebox and Vortech will come into play.. LOL... The Variation can be done if you have a few wavemakers and set them on and off at different timing(will shorten lifespan of the wavemaker)..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Whichever. It's up to u so long the whole water in tank is well circulated should be ok ba.

I feel that overkilling in terms of wavemaker is good also coz makes the whole reef looks more lively n in returns it has more healthier fishes.(personal preference)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Wow thanks for the enthusiasm guys!! Yes I have 2 wavemakers in my tank now so I'll just have to upgrade them to the controllable versions as these wave makers I have will rutter when switched on as the new versions one won't.. So these 2 are sufficient? Cos i think my hands are itching for new stuffs in my tank... Though I'll have to let these two old wavemakers go first... Also an update, hav secured some silicon in my hands and will start gluing the leaking part back. :)

-skimmer-less-

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

This is where the Wavebox and Vortech will come into play.. LOL... The Variation can be done if you have a few wavemakers and set them on and off at different timing(will shorten lifespan of the wavemaker)..

Do you mean even the controllable versions will hav their lifespan shortened if they are set to on and off on different timings?

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

Do you mean even the controllable versions will hav their lifespan shortened if they are set to on and off on different timings?

The controllable one is suited for used with the controllers... Something to do with the electric part... Noobs with these electrical stuffs..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Think Terry is saying those non controllable ones can do the same using timer but would shorten the life span

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

Think Terry is saying those non controllable ones can do the same using timer but would shorten the life span

so the new hydors are controllable and even better at the same price as before! will get one of those with a JBJ controller! check it out...

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

JBJ controllers can control the hydors???

dun think all the hydors are at the same prize.. if i am not wrong the controllable one cost more

@Terryz, yes just plug in the hydors to the JBJ controller ocean pluse, it like another timer...

@Ray, yea it's the same prize cos it's really just re designeing the wavemakers and make it soft start, and it's controllable by timer!! This sounds great ey?

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• 2 weeks later...

@Terryz, yes just plug in the hydors to the JBJ controller ocean pluse, it like another timer...

@Ray, yea it's the same prize cos it's really just re designeing the wavemakers and make it soft start, and it's controllable by timer!! This sounds great ey?

FYI...hydor works well with the ocean pulse but not Tunze...tried and it gives a loud noise everytime it initiates

• SRC Member

FYI...hydor works well with the ocean pulse but not Tunze...tried and it gives a loud noise everytime it initiates

Bro the old hydor can work with the ocean pulse meh?? :eyebrow:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D