How to use the Salfert testkit for calcium???

I had purchase the salifert testkit for calcium and magnesium....and now when i read the instruction, it is not so simple then ABC..... I'm actually stuck in step 1 for the calcium testkit, whereby i use the 2ml syringe to fill up the water which i'm going to test and then... i dont know what to do liao...

Can any pro out there please enlighten me....Thanks.

• SRC Member

Roger, why dun you point out what is the exact point that you do not understand??

Instructions:

1. Add with 2 ml syringe 2 ml of water in the test vial. For a low resolution and more tests per kit add 1 ml instead of 2 ml.

2. Add 1 spoon of Ca-1 (low resolution approx. 1/2 spoon) do not swirl yet.

3. Add 8 drops of Ca-2 to the water in the test vial. and swirl gently for 10 seconds. For low resolution 4 instead of 8 drops.

4. Put the plastic tip firmly on the 1 ml syringe. And draw into the syringe the Ca-3 reagent (ensure that the end of the plastic tip is constantly submersed in the Ca-3 reagent) till the lower end of the black part of the pistion is exactly at the 1.00 ml mark. There will be air present just below the piston. This is the air which was present between the end of the plactic tip and the piston. This will not influence the test result.

5. Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the Ca-3 reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two.

Continue with this until color changes from pink-red to a clear blue color.

6. Hold the syringe with the tip facing upward and read the position of the , now the upper end, of the black part of the piston. The syringe has graduations of 0.01 ml. Read the Calcium value from the table or calculate as follows.

ppm Ca = (1 - reading in step 6) x 500

If you have chosen for the lower resolution multiply the calculated result by 2.

Natural sea water contains 400 - 425 ppm calcium. Use salifert's Coral Calcium for good results.

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

1. Add with 2 ml syringe 2 ml of water in the test vial. For a low resolution and more tests per kit add 1 ml instead of 2 ml.

2. Add 1 spoon of Ca-1 (low resolution approx. 1/2 spoon) do not swirl yet.

3. Add 8 drops of Ca-2 to the water in the test vial. and swirl gently for 10 seconds. For low resolution 4 instead of 8 drops.

4. Put the plastic tip firmly on the 1 ml syringe. And draw into the syringe the Ca-3 reagent (ensure that the end of the plastic tip is constantly submersed in the Ca-3 reagent) till the lower end of the black part of the pistion is exactly at the 1.00 ml mark. There will be air present just below the piston. This is the air which was present between the end of the plactic tip and the piston. This will not influence the test result.

5. Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the Ca-3 reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two.

Continue with this until color changes from pink-red to a clear blue color.

6. Hold the syringe with the tip facing upward and read the position of the , now the upper end, of the black part of the piston. The syringe has graduations of 0.01 ml. Read the Calcium value from the table or calculate as follows.

ppm Ca = (1 - reading in step 6) x 500

If you have chosen for the lower resolution multiply the calculated result by 2.

exactly what part after step 1 do you not understand? Pls enlighten us.

Question 1.

After i get the 2ml of the water from the syringe, is it that i put the water into the clear test tube?

Question 2.

Add 1 spoon of Ca-1 (low resolution approx. 1/2 spoon) do not swirl yet.

As for the "spoon", is it referring to the spoon from the cover of the test tube? as for add 1 spoon of Ca-1 do not swirl yet, is it means that we add the CA-1 into the test tube which is filled of the 2ml water which shaking the test tube at all?

Question 3.

Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the Ca-3 reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two

Is it that we got to drop one drop by one drop into the test tube?

Question 4.

As for this step, is it that we had to do it only when we realised that the water had changed to blue colour from the test tube?

Please advise. Thanks. :)

• SRC Member

There you go! wink.gif

Question 1.

After i get the 2ml of the water from the syringe, is it that i put the water into the clear test tube?

YES

Question 2.

Add 1 spoon of Ca-1 (low resolution approx. 1/2 spoon) do not swirl yet.

As for the "spoon", is it referring to the spoon from the cover of the test tube? as for add 1 spoon of Ca-1 do not swirl yet, is it means that we add the CA-1 into the test tube which is filled of the 2ml water which shaking the test tube at all?

YES for the spoon and DO NOT shake the test tube (test vial) yet

Question 3.

Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the Ca-3 reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two

Is it that we got to drop one drop by one drop into the test tube?

YES. Drop 1 or 2 drops then swirl the test tube. After swirling then drop another 1 or 2 drops and swirl again.. process to go on until color changes from pink-red to a clear blue color

Question 4.

As for this step, is it that we had to do it only when we realised that the water had changed to blue colour from the test tube?

Yes!

Please advise. Thanks. smile.gif

• SRC Member

Simplified instructions with emphasis:

1. Add with 2 ml thicker syringe 2 ml of water in the test tube.

2. Add 1 spoon of Ca-1 - do not swirl yet.

3. Add 8 drops of Ca-2 to the water in the test tube. and swirl gently for 10 seconds.

4. Put the plastic tip (sharp pointy thing) firmly on the 1 ml skinny syringe. Draw Ca-3 reagent with skinny syringe, exactly 1.00 ml.

5. With the 1 ml skinny syringe drip Ca-3 reagent into the test tube. Swirl after each drop for a second or two until the color of the water changes from pink-red to a clear blue color.

6. Turn the skinny syringe upside down and read the measurement at the exact point the black piston lies. Look for the measurement you got in the table on the instruction sheet, it will correspond with a Ca value in ppm.

To answer your questions:

1. After i get the 2ml of the water from the syringe, is it that i put the water into the clear test tube?

Yes.

2a. As for the "spoon", is it referring to the spoon from the cover of the test tube?

Yes.

2b. as for add 1 spoon of Ca-1 do not swirl yet, is it means that we add the CA-1 into the test tube which is filled of the 2ml water which shaking the test tube at all?

Add Ca 1 into test tube, don't shake or do anything else to the test tube.

3. Is it that we got to drop one drop by one drop into the test tube?

Yes.

4. As for this step, is it that we had to do it only when we realised that the water had changed to blue colour from the test tube?

Yes.

Bro, you've known the answers all along :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Sorry two more question i would like to ask....

1) For step 4, when we r drawing the CA-3 reagent into the 1ml syringe, am i right to say that it is impossible to get the reagent to be in 1ml due to the air btw the reagent and the black piston?

2) after the test vital had change to blue color, when we invert the 1ml syringe, which reading should we be reading from? from the remaining reagent or the black piston? As there is air btw the remaining reagent and the black piston, which one should we be reading from as the air filled up a few ml in the syringe and this few ml actually contribute quite alot of ppm for calcium.

Pls advise. Thanks. :)

• SRC Member

Bro, ignore the air gap. Take the reading from the black piston. The air is from the existing empty space in the pointy attachment to the syringe, according to the instructions it's okay.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

it is built in such a way that the air is also calculated in. don't try to remove the air bubble. the syringe is made with the air bubble into consideration.

most scientific instruments are like that and i think this one should be too

• SRC Member

ThanxSmiley.gifok thanks for the great help from forum here... without u guys help.... all my coral and fish would had died already .two thumbs up thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Hur Hur Hur... Glad that some of us are able to help you with your questions! Happy Reefing Dude.. Enjoy the hobby.. thumbsup.gif