REFRACTOMETER vs HYDROMETER

nemo22

Just want to know which one is more accurate.

I just find out there is some different reading between these 2 type of meter.

Test with REFRACTOMETER reading is ( 1.024 )

Test with HYDROMETER reading is ( 1.019 )

Which one i must follow????

• SRC Member

Just want to know which one is more accurate.

I just find out there is some different reading between these 2 type of meter.

Test with REFRACTOMETER reading is ( 1.024 )

Test with HYDROMETER reading is ( 1.019 )

Which one i must follow????

Refractometer is more accurate... :thumbsup: cheers :cheers:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Algae and salt deposits can make the swing-arm slightly heavier and affect the reading of your specific gravity.

Another main culprit is air bubbles!

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

or use what mother nature gave you. a very healthy tongue with tastebuds :P

taste the salinity hehe

Can ar...

bro,lemonlemon i can pick u up at ur home and hav a test for me at my house,what is the actual reading is it...

hehehe....

• SRC Member

I had the same difference in reading with a hydrometer and refractometer:

REFRACTOMETER: 1.025

HYDROMETER: 1.020

I heard of other reefers having the same difference, I guess it's better not to keep your sg too high if you are using a hydrometer. I nearly wanted to increase the salinity of my tank from "1.020" to 1.025" when I was using the swing arm type hydrometer. :chair:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

Can ar...

bro,lemonlemon i can pick u up at ur home and hav a test for me at my house,what is the actual reading is it...

hehehe....

lol come find me at tanah merah :P

• Senior Reefer

I heard of other reefers having the same difference, I guess it's better not to keep your sg too high if you are using a hydrometer. I nearly wanted to increase the salinity of my tank from "1.020" to 1.025" when I was using the swing arm type hydrometer. :chair:

you can calibrate your hydrometer to your refractometer momentarily. meaning when ur hydrometer is 1.020, it's actually 1.025. then just go on from there.

• SRC Member

Yup I posted that for the benefit of those who don't own a refractometer so they don't make the same mistake as me. The margin error seems consistent enough to use as a benchmark.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

Actually for only fish tank mostly angel

what is the best reading??

if you are keeping a tank with only fish and no coral, you can afford to go lower on the salinity.

lower salinity is less stressful to the fish because they don't have to work so hard to remove excess salt.

it also helps keep diseases at bay such as ich.

i would reccomend 1.016 to 1.019. this saves on salt also.

but remember to slowly acclimate your fish from lfs as most lfs water are normal seawater.

and if you want to acclimate your fish back to normal seawater, do it over a few days

if you are keeping a tank with only fish and no coral, you can afford to go lower on the salinity.

lower salinity is less stressful to the fish because they don't have to work so hard to remove excess salt.

it also helps keep diseases at bay such as ich.

i would reccomend 1.016 to 1.019. this saves on salt also.

but remember to slowly acclimate your fish from lfs as most lfs water are normal seawater.

and if you want to acclimate your fish back to normal seawater, do it over a few days

thk...

u really pro....

• Senior Reefer

thk...

u really pro....

no lah. not pro.

all these are simple basic foundation knowledge of reefing that you can easily obtain from searching online and reading up.

I heard of other reefers having the same difference, I guess it's better not to keep your sg too high if you are using a hydrometer. I nearly wanted to increase the salinity of my tank from "1.020" to 1.025" when I was using the swing arm type hydrometer. chair.gif

I used to have this problem before using a refractometer that my newly purschase shrimp keep dying min after i put inside the tank no matter how slow i accumilize it. After checking, it was found out that the Shrimp is actually being "Salted" to death pirate.gif since my old Hydrometer read 1.025 and my refractometer read 1.030 !!!

• Senior Reefer

I used to have this problem before using a refractometer that my newly purschase shrimp keep dying min after i put inside the tank no matter how slow i accumilize it. After checking, it was found out that the Shrimp is actually being "Salted" to death pirate.gif since my old Hydrometer read 1.025 and my refractometer read 1.030 !!!

mm. salted shrimp :)

he be