Thinking of coming back again.......................

• SRC Member

Dear Bros/sis,

It's been a while since I left this wonderful hobby. Dunno why recently think I kena ick attack and have the itch to come back again :lol: ........ maybe a fowlr setup for a start.

I am into freshwater now and just wondering whether I could just convert to saltwater by just adding sand, salt and rocks without changing the filter medias and let the tank run for a couple of weeks?

My current tank is already established and I was just wondering whether the BBs for fresh and salt water are the same? Will they be affected and die off if I just convert directly?

I am using biohome, ceramic rings and japanese mat in my current setup. Hmmmm any bros/sis and experts want to give me some advise? Cause my ick really getting worse each day...wanna get it treated asap :P

Thank you and please share your thoughts generously bros n sis! :bow:

• Senior Reefer

tank size? if too big the glass thickness too thin, you cannot use it.

saltwater and freshwater bacteria are different. if you convert directly you end up have to re-cycle everything.

so i just suggest you start again from scratch. won't have problems like this. i'm unsure about the problems if u convert.

freshwater sand is different from saltwater sand too. saltwater sand is made of calcium crbonate in the form of aragonite or other substances. this will buffer your tank and keep pH rather constant, freshwater sand cannot.

Dear Bros/sis,

It's been a while since I left this wonderful hobby. Dunno why recently think I kena ick attack and have the itch to come back again :lol: ........ maybe a fowlr setup for a start.

I am into freshwater now and just wondering whether I could just convert to saltwater by just adding sand, salt and rocks without changing the filter medias and let the tank run for a couple of weeks?

My current tank is already established and I was just wondering whether the BBs for fresh and salt water are the same? Will they be affected and die off if I just convert directly?

I am using biohome, ceramic rings and japanese mat in my current setup. Hmmmm any bros/sis and experts want to give me some advise? Cause my ick really getting worse each day...wanna get it treated asap :P

Thank you and please share your thoughts generously bros n sis! :bow:

Good to see a reefer coming back...

I am not really sure leh.. It is best to wash everything becos you have to cycle it again anyway..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

tank size? if too big the glass thickness too thin, you cannot use it.

saltwater and freshwater bacteria are different. if you convert directly you end up have to re-cycle everything.

so i just suggest you start again from scratch. won't have problems like this. i'm unsure about the problems if u convert.

freshwater sand is different from saltwater sand too. saltwater sand is made of calcium crbonate in the form of aragonite or other substances. this will buffer your tank and keep pH rather constant, freshwater sand cannot.

Great pc of advise bro, thks!

• SRC Member

Good to see a reefer coming back...

I am not really sure leh.. It is best to wash everything becos you have to cycle it again anyway..

Thks pal, thought of doing so but argghhhh, damn siong to start from scratch again :(

usually the ich attack from marine is harder to kick than freshwater ich...so...welcome back ultraman... :groupwavereversed::groupwavereversed:

yup yup u r very right bro, haha damn stubborn, just wun go away! :lol:

• SRC Member

I was in ur situation couples of years back. End up tearing my planted tank down and do all from scratch. I do use back my biohom and ceramic rings but after a wash. As for BB for cycling, this is not difficult. Juz throw in some food and the cycle will start.

Cheers

JC

I was in ur situation couples of years back. End up tearing my planted tank down and do all from scratch. I do use back my biohom and ceramic rings but after a wash. As for BB for cycling, this is not difficult. Juz throw in some food and the cycle will start.

Cheers

JC

Yeah, can use back the biohome but need to wash...

Member of:

Thks pal, thought of doing so but argghhhh, damn siong to start from scratch again :(

Reefing is siong to start with... LOL... The relaxing part is when your tank is up and running... LOL... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Member of:

• SRC Member

Have itch must scratch but scratch properly else you'll get a wound. So start afresh and cycle properly to avoid problems later. Cheers.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Bros/sis,

Found a very interesting article while google-ing..............

"Converting a freshwater aquarium into a saltwater tank"..........

The writer mentioned the original filttration can be used as BBs are the same and works as well as they are in the freshwater aquarium.........hmmmmmm how true???? :blink:

http://www.algone.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:converting-a-freshwater-aquarium-into-a-saltwater-tank&catid=36:saltwater-aquarium&Itemid=60

• SRC Member

Well, both system produce aerobic and anaerobic bacteria during cycling. So far there is no mention if they are different for freshwater and marine. Maybe you test and let us know. lol

Does anaerobic bacteria exist in an aquarium? Thought they will die once they comes into contact with oxygen?

Edited by Terryz_

Does anaerobic bacteria exist in an aquarium? Thought they will die once they comes into contact with oxygen?

They exist in low oxygen area such as Deep SandBed..

:poster_oops:

Bro, sorry... Just now click wrong button...

Member of:

• SRC Member

They exist in low oxygen area such as Deep SandBed..

:poster_oops:

Bro, sorry... Just now click wrong button...

So bro if under a well aerated and bare bottom tank then can there be presence of anaerobic bacterias? Is it still possible for anaerobic bacterias to cultivate during cycling?

• SRC Member

All great advice above, but this point highlighted is a bit misleading even though it was not the intention. Sand sold for marine use is mostly aragonite or calcium carbonate based, but that is not to say that normal silica or quartz sand cannot be used.

In fact it is a myth that fresh water sand cannot be used for marine (something I was guilty of saying once), cos silica based sand is made up of SiO2 which is the same chemical composition as your glass tank :)

And welcome back ultraman, I think this is your second return, the itch is strong with you :cheers:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Qns 1)Does anaerobic bacteria exist in an aquarium? Thought they will die once they comes into contact with oxygen?

Yes, some wont die but they prefer low O2 environment and some will become lower in efficiency.

Qns 2) So bro if under a well aerated and bare bottom tank then can there be presence of anaerobic bacterias? Is it still possible for anaerobic bacterias to cultivate during cycling?

Yes, it is possible for the bacteria to be cultivated in those lower 02 environment.

Qns 3) The writer mentioned the original filttration can be used as BBs are the same and works as well as they are in the freshwater aquarium.........hmmmmmm how true????

Basically, its theoretical correct for that statement as most of the ANN cycle bacteria used are found both in FW and SW. My advice is, to prevent osmotic shock to the bacteria, increase the salinity at a rate and not a one time increase directly. give those bacteria pets a time to adapt.

and use things that are meant for reef aquarium like LR and sand(aragonite or coral sand atleast).

Hope to see you soon ultraman. :friends:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• Senior Reefer

lol.

the species of bacteria that convert nitrates to nitrogen gas are anaerobic. they are rarely found in our aquarium that's why our end product is always nitrate, and not nitrogen gas.

anaerobic bacteria cannot live in oxygen. they live deep within liverocks, deepsand bed, and i think biohome. these places do not offer oxygen and thus they can thrive there.

you won't find anaerobic bacteria in well aerated Barebottom tanks. only deep within liverocks where there is no oxygen, and in DSB where there is no oxygen.

• SRC Member

So bro if under a well aerated and bare bottom tank then can there be presence of anaerobic bacterias? Is it still possible for anaerobic bacterias to cultivate during cycling?

Then they will colonise the places where the sun don't shine lol. That's why live rocks and good filter media is important. The deep crevices and pits unseen by the human eye will be home to the bacteria.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

Qns 1)Does anaerobic bacteria exist in an aquarium? Thought they will die once they comes into contact with oxygen?

Yes, some wont die but they prefer low O2 environment.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought anaerobic CANNOT tahan O2 at all? those that prefer low O2 are called facultative anaerobes right?

Qns 2) So bro if under a well aerated and bare bottom tank then can there be presence of anaerobic bacterias? Is it still possible for anaerobic bacterias to cultivate during cycling?

Yes, it is possible for the bacteria to be cultivated in those lower 02 environment.

refer to my above comment.

Qns 3) The writer mentioned the original filttration can be used as BBs are the same and works as well as they are in the freshwater aquarium.........hmmmmmm how true????

Basically, its theoretical correct for that statement as most of the ANN cycle bacteria used are found both in FW and SW. My advice is, to prevent osmotic shock to the bacteria, increase the salinity at a rate and not a one time increase directly.

i think this is true. halophylisaton can occur when the bacteria is slowly acclimated to salt water

Hope to see you soon ultraman. :friends:

pardon me law for questioning your posts, i'm only year 2 microbiology so must learn from my senior like you lol..

• SRC Member

sure kai, i will try to answer you with what i know when im back tonight. got a family dinner so need to rush off. my knownledge is limited too so don't call me senior la bro.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

haha. you are not the only one. I thought of coming back too. :chair:

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Member

Yes, some wont die but they prefer low O2 environment.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought anaerobic CANNOT tahan O2 at all? those that prefer low O2 are called facultative anaerobes right?

No, those that needs O2 but prefer low 02 concentration are called microaerophiles

there are bascially 3 types of anaerobic organism:

1) obligate anaerobes: This type hates O2 and will die/get harm from bein exposed to O2.

2) facultative anaerobes: unlike what you mentioned, this is a type whereby they can use oxygen from surrounding to survive or through fermentation when there is no oxygen available. Oxygen won't hurt them or very unlikely.

3) aerotolerant: these organism dun need O2 to grow or respirates and can tolerate 02.

i dunno how many kinds of bacteria are available in our aquarium that belongs to the anaerobic side or which type they belongs to or how they behaves. but for sure, not all anaerobic organisms die in the presence of O2. That's why i said some wont die in my above initial answer to Ultraman.

if you like these so much, can do ur industrial attachment in Institue of Chemical Engineering Sciences (ICES) by A-STAR.

I know most of the, if not all, Drs. and research officers in Industrial Biotech Lab. Might be able to hook you up in one of their project in these anerobic/aerobic topics. of course, if only your department agrees to it. :thumbsup: