What can I place beside my galaxy coral?

Ingwe

• Senior Reefer

nothing. galaxy is one of the most aggressive corals. place nothing beside it except other galaxy corals. it will make short work of almost anything else with it's long sweeper tentacles.

• SRC Member

tip: place the coral in high flow area, for doing that, the coral will not extend its sweeper that much or wont depending on the kind of flow. they can tolerate high flow well. place similar coral that can tolerate high flow beside.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

thanks for the tip LaW.. I've tried that but the sweepers just extend in the direction of the current (the galaxy is boulder-shaped).

Will coral sting sponges?

this is what i face,

at no flow, sweepers extended all out and try to sting others in different directions.

mid flow, sweepers will still there but in uni direction on most catchs.

high flow, sweepers will not be there.

you can try increasing your wave in your main tank to see how things goes first.

and im sorry i dunno much regarding orange sponge vs the galaxy

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• Senior Reefer

galaxy corals tolerate high flow VERY well. they are found in very turbid waters with high surge zones.

their sweeper tentacles can extend 2x their length in high flow, as what bro ingwe experienced.

So take caution.

thanks for the advice guys, bro lemonlemon is right, 6 inch sweepers from my 3x4" colony? no problem

nice tank :thumbsup:

I've been experimenting with the flows, low flow heavily loaded sweepers but they can't get anywhere. mid flow sweepers go with the flow. high flow so far so good.

My galaxy looks a little different though (can't really tell from the small pic), it has white tentacles beside the green. hope i got the id right

post-17039-074582700 1279472860_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

galaxy corals tolerate high flow VERY well. they are found in very turbid waters with high surge zones.

their sweeper tentacles can extend 2x their length in high flow, as what bro ingwe experienced.

So take caution.

thanks for the advice guys, bro lemonlemon is right, 6 inch sweepers from my 3x4" colony? no problem

I've been experimenting with the flows, low flow heavily loaded sweepers but they can't get anywhere. mid flow sweepers go with the flow. high flow so far so good.

My galaxy looks a little different though (can't really tell from the small pic), it has white tentacles beside the green. hope i got the id right

perhaps your high flow is not my description of high flow.

i placed it about a feet in front of my 6200 and it pulse at 60% to 100%. the stinger didnt get a chance to extend. previous owner placed it infront of a vortech MP40 and tunze 6055 interception, no stinger as well.

however, whenever i off my wavemaker, that fella extend its scary stingers again.

• SRC Member

just to add your boulder shape might be tricky to play with. the opposite side will not experience so much flow. maybe you could try placing it in an interception of 2 strong waves.

all the best.

good idea! I'll try put it so the waves form a V towards to front of the tank. Yeah, the sweepers look really scary. :thumbdown:

my strong current = k nano 1 feet away. haha. I didn't know they can tolerate flows as high as yours, was hesitant because i read that the soft tissues might be damaged. thanks for the info

• SRC Member

good idea! I'll try put it so the waves form a V towards to front of the tank. Yeah, the sweepers look really scary. :thumbdown:

my strong current = k nano 1 feet away. haha. I didn't know they can tolerate flows as high as yours, was hesitant because i read that the soft tissues might be damaged. thanks for the info

no problem Ingwe, all the best in finding your haven position for your galaxy. :peace:

• SRC Member

wha bro.. no need to sleep? lol

haha Ray,

you no need to sleep too? :lol: i like the night more than the day, its more quiet. so i tend to stay up later.

• SRC Member

hahah.. i'm in NY.. so its day time for me here...

:lol: nice place. enjoy yourself there. :):thumbsup:

• SRC Supporter

watch the galaxy at night. they do extend longest during the night.

my experience, give it 1 directional flow and not too strong to let it extend 1 side.

too much flow indeed will shorten the extention,but will kill it in long run. tts my experience :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed