Proud Owner of a new DIY Sump tank....

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers,

Thought to show off my new DIY sump tank (a spare tank I have), 17" X 10" x 10" with a refugium. Fully commission and have passed Factory acceptance test with simulation of power cut off. Currently sump tank still running concurrently with a canister.

Just bought some tonga to add to the right side of my main tank and is going to add another 2" of sand from Changi Beach. :lol:

Comments?

post-34-1072150853.jpg

• SRC Member
it looks pretty solid :) is that coral chips in the filter compartment? you outta consider removing it.

Hi Darren

Why need to remove the coral chips? Seeking your advise.... :unsure:

• SRC Member
bro, how is the overflow working for u? i still owe u the durso... paiseh

Hi Jon

Good the overflow is working fine.... :P Call me if only you are convenient....its been very kind of you.....Thanks :lol:

In fact the flow rate for the overflow is very fast! I had to put it higher to slow down the water flow or I will have to pump very fast back to the sump tank and the flow is too fast for this 2ft X 1.5 X 1 tank.....in any case, it is working very fine.

:D

• SRC Member

you need to resize your pics smaller & repost.

800pixels width max. 600 or 640pixels will do fine.

will leave the pics as it is till tomorrow before removing them.

(with mega pics at this rate....won't be long till SRC goes down again)

• SRC Member

some comments though to ur system bro.... try to minimize the angles in ur return pipe, this will drastically lessen the pressure of ur water to tank...

also, try to maintain the "U" tube of ur overflow box; there should not be any air in it.. remove it by siphon....

was worried that 300gph might not be enough....if not, will pass u the 800gph instead... anyway, will arrange w u when i can pass the durso

cheers!

• SRC Member
you need to resize your pics smaller & repost.

800pixels width max. 600 or 640pixels will do fine.

will leave the pics as it is till tomorrow before removing them.

(with mega pics at this rate....won't be long till SRC goes down again)

oops.... :blink:

My apologies....thanks for your advise....will pay attention to this for my next post...... :)

• SRC Member
some comments though to ur system bro.... try to minimize the angles in ur return pipe, this will drastically lessen the pressure of ur water to tank...

also, try to maintain the "U" tube of ur overflow box; there should not be any air in it.. remove it by siphon....

was worried that 300gph might not be enough....if not, will pass u the 800gph instead... anyway, will arrange w u when i can pass the durso

cheers!

Ai ya.....all the pipeing already glued so almost impossible to modify again...anyway advise noted for my upgrade in future. Thanks Reefer Guy. ;)

By the way...pardon my ignorance....what is a siphon?? :huh:

• SRC Member

Ai ya.....all the pipeing already glued so almost impossible to modify again...anyway advise noted for my upgrade in future. Thanks Reefer Guy. ;)

By the way...pardon my ignorance....what is a siphon?? :huh:

siphon, is to remove the air from the "U" tube by ###### it manually.. heheheeh..... anyway, i know u dont want to taste ur salt water mix, just use a long flexible hose to drain the air inside....

• SRC Member

Thanks Bro Triggerpuff.....

By the way...my latest addition....tonga, ricordea, cat eye bubble, mushroom, clam, twin brain and another 9500k Arcardia White FL light....kekeke....just bought from LCK110 this afternoon....kekeke :P

post-34-1072187694.jpg

• SRC Member
just notice that the outlet of your skimmer seems to block off alot of lighting in your refugium...

Ya lor....need to relocate the light nearer to the refugium...need to go Pasir Ris to get some LR with lots of algae....kekeke :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Chirstmas ma....got year end AWS also so got to pamper myself la....haha but really those corals I bought from LCK...expensive!!! <_< ....chose here chose there...happily without asking the price and end up > 100 bucks......lucky my Mdm dont know yet ......hahaha :D

By the way, you very $%#%$&^%......despise my damsels....%#$%#%$^% :lol: