Tench1's Reefing log

tench1

Had a big scare this morning, imagine waking up to no electricity!

Its pitch dark, and you cant see any moving things in the tanks....

After switching off all equipments, the Switch board still doesnt kicks in!

Lucky CO pointed out to check the main SB from outside the corridor. And then, you can see light to the end of the tunnel!

Luckily, everything is fine. Fishes still swimming and no cloudy water!

What had caused the trip? - switching on each equipment one by one, and the fault lies with the ATO that i had installed last night.

Seems like thats the cause, and had been removed for investigation tonite!

What a start of the day...

Alright, its a blessing to be able to write my log today...

I had found the culprit that cause SB to trip...(faulty skimmer pump!!1) :angry:

I reach home yesterday, and its pitch dark! no Electricity at all....FXXX!!!

Haizzz...

After power is on, everything went back to normal...

Luckily for me, all livestocks seems to be in good shape except for 1 mini nano goby (proof dead, after missing for so long)

Its not the ATO & Pump fault...Its the Skimmer Pump. One of the 2 pumps seem not working, with no bubbles produced. Hence, i took it out to maintance after switching off the pump's power. Puting it back, and try again, no movement...hmmm, thinking its the popeller's problem, i pulled the cable from the top (With power on). The next moment, i see a tiny spot of light from the pump accompanied by instantly, a loud "POP" sound, and then pitch darkness (due to power trip).

LESSON LEARNT - Never finger with equipment underwater with electricity on. If i had placed my hand inside, who knows what will happen.... :blink::blink:

In Reefing, there seems to be countless unforeseen event going on everyday...

This AM, after turning the light on for the 24G, i almost stepped on my cutie Yellow Wrasse on the floor!

It must had got frightend by the sudden light on...

I managed to save it, and it became the 1st fish to inhabbit the 3FT. :groupwavereversed:

My ATO wasnt working last night...Yellow light on pump but wasnt pumping water

I off the switch and on the ATO again...and then the pumping start... :angry:

- Pump must be kinda faulty in a way...

Then after the water level reached sensor1, the pump stopped....BUT, after awhile, i go back and view the reservior level, it was BACK to the original level again!!! :angry2::angry2::angry2:

FINDINGS

1. Never place ur pipe output submerged in the water. Though the pump stopped, due to the pressure in the pipe and the level of the pipe and pump, the siphoning of water turned direction, sucking water from the sump back to the reservior!

2. Use reputable pump...

A good reefer fren borrowed me his skimmer pump. And after abit of modification to the output head (whichout changing anything to his pump), my skimmer is back in action!

Many thanks BRO!! :ThanxSmiley: (You know who you are.) :friends:

Hey dude. You using DIY wavebox hidden at the back of tank yeah??

Show a video of the wave leh? Think it'll be quite power...

Nah, im not using DIY wavebox. Was planning to do that, but removed the idea due to the RISK.

Instead, i got 2 2nd handed Tunze wavebox.

Its not as power as i tot it will be...video will have to wait ya.. :)

Best is to have your chiller modified to use with an external temperature sensor probe. With this modification, you are not relying on your pump spec to chill your tank.

Your chiller is used or brand new?

I agree, it might be the temp probe problem.. my 1hp use around 20 mins to cool my tank.. it seem awfully long to take a few hours for a 1/3 HP..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Best is to have your chiller modified to use with an external temperature sensor probe. With this modification, you are not relying on your pump spec to chill your tank.

Your chiller is used or brand new?

Oh, im using an external Temp senor prode. Its working so much better than running thru the chiller's own sensor.

This, i tested on my 24G. So much more saving in Electricity.

My Chiller is 2nd handed, still with warranty though.

I agree, it might be the temp probe problem.. my 1hp use around 20 mins to cool my tank.. it seem awfully long to take a few hours for a 1/3 HP..

Im gg to measure again how long it takes to chill from 28 to 27 tonight...

But having 4hr + climb from 27 to 28, is really amazing! If only the chilling part can be faster!

Im gg to measure again how long it takes to chill from 28 to 27 tonight...

But having 4hr + climb from 27 to 28, is really amazing! If only the chilling part can be faster!

Quite long.. mine is also around that kind of timing.. mine is 26 to 27..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp