weileong's 4ft tank

weileong

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the dip in chiller, if the dip is placed in the sump and your return pump fails, there will be almost no circulation in the sump, only for the skimmer (unless u have other equipment in there).  I think that there being no circulation in the sump would cause major frosting on the dip.  This could then be a potential problem.  Also depends on where the temperature probe is placed.

ah....good point also...

but if it's due to power failure, then the chiller would stop as well..

but if it's due to individual pump failure...only the sump will freeze up and form a big ice cube...lol..

very interesting...lol...

but other than these problems...

how about cooling perfomance...will such dip-in cool water faster than inline chillers?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Those seafood restaurants have some chillers that have super cooling efficiency.They are designed in such a way it will be cold to the extend that water will drip.Not everyone can afford a chiller that drips water at home right??

Please get your facts right. Any chiller can be made to drip water. Even a 1/8Hp chiller.

It is a design flaw if its dripping. Meaning condensation and wastage of cooling power to ambient heat loss.

Prevention of this condensation is done by proper insulation.

Those seafood cooling freezers or tanks usually do not have a casing to maximise heat transfer to ambient. But technology is the same. The only difference is how many hp is used and size of heat exchanger.

• SRC Member

Please get your facts right. Any chiller can be made to drip water. Even a 1/8Hp chiller.

It is a design flaw if its dripping. Meaning condensation and wastage of cooling power to ambient heat loss.

Prevention of this condensation is done by proper insulation.

Those seafood cooling freezers or tanks usually do not have a casing to maximise heat transfer to ambient. But technology is the same. The only difference is how many hp is used and size of heat exchanger.

It's not a design flaw. :) A deliberate act in fact.Its being tuned that way.But yet not to the extend that it freezes and becomes a fridge..LoL

It's not a design flaw.  A deliberate act in fact.Its being tuned that way.But yet not to the extend that it freezes and becomes a fridge..LoL

Cookiemunster is correct.

Once it starts to condense and freeze means it has heat exchange with the amibent and that is what we don't want!

What we want is all the heat exchange is with the water in the tank.

That is call inefficient! and poor design.

precisely, always provide logical explanation/reasoning or even technical specs where possible to support....

and for goodness sake dun use the * i am using it for so long already, so it must be very good* attitude, coz for every product out there, there probably is another even better product :rolleyes::lol:

will end up misleading many newbies :lol:

• SRC Member
bro cookiemonster...

given 2 identical compressor units, both with same essentail parts, but one made into a normal inline and the other using dip-in coil..

what will be the differences? especially in performance

Bro,

with all aspects the same, the dip in would be the best because it has the heat exchanger closest to the water and no additional pump is needed.

However, although efficiency is the best. We must not forget the fact that having a TRUE rated compressor and equivalent specs fan, fan coil, heat exchanger to be the same as a efficient chiller is hard to find. Most often you only get one or the other, ie either dip in with poor specs or poor heat exchanger with good specs. hahhaa.

There are also risks involved with a dip in. Such as easier for gas to leak, dangers of damage to the coil as it is exposed, bulky thing in the sump which if not placed properly can crack the tank.

Often the risks outweigh the benefits. The gas pressure in the heat exchanger coil is tremendous.

However if these are overcome, then it is better.

• SRC Member

The disadvantage of dip-in type will be unable to place chiller away from the tank. They usually come in a short length only. Also water movement in the sump need to be fast to "capture" or "move" or "attract" the coldness from the coil and deliver to the rest of the water colume.

The gas pressure in the heat exchanger coil is tremendous.

Cookie, The gas pressure in the heat exchanger coil is at the lower pressure as it is the cold pipe.

The high pressure is in the cooling coil. That is the part where the coolant is being compressed to get rid of the heat.

Cookie, The gas pressure in the heat exchanger coil is at the power pressure as it is the cold pipe.

The high pressure is in the cooling coil. That is the part where the coolant is being compressed to get rid of the heat.

yes, Weileong said it right. Condenser is at the L.P.S, low pressure side. Evaporator is on the H.P.S, high pressure side. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

Good to hear frank discussions about chillers. You know what? You guys should bring this up in another thread! ;) Make it more 'exposed' for public learning! ;)

Anyway... just to ask around... do you buy a chiller based on 'Cooling Capacity' or 'Compressor Size' coz I was told one thing by someone and so many others say another. ;)

I hate paying for something that is not what is supposed to be.

• SRC Member

Cookie, The gas pressure in the heat exchanger coil is at the lower pressure as it is the cold pipe.

yes comparatively thats true.....but its still very very high pressure regardless. Depressurised from liquid to gas or pressurised from gas to liquid. Whether its before or after the transition. I was refering to overall pressure in the tube.

But I agree. ;)

• SRC Member

For me personally, i would buy sumthing based on compressor sizing and i think almost all will sell based on the sizing of the compressor instead of cooling capacity? like logically 1.25hp will mean a compressor of 1.25hp. Cooling capacity will be much more that the compressor size i think..

Its like the new chiller i am using, only 1/2hp but beats the crap out of the older 1.25hp. Doesnt sound logical rite? Dat is what happens when manufacturers mix the terms up just to get an advantage over the competitors...

Good to hear frank discussions about chillers. You know what? You guys should bring this up in another thread! ;) Make it more 'exposed' for public learning! ;)

Seems like at least 25% of this thread is delicated to discussion of chillers. Interesting :P Yeah, we should pop it over the the equipment section so everyone can see it.

Anyway... just to ask around... do you buy a chiller based on 'Cooling Capacity' or 'Compressor Size' coz I was told one thing by someone and so many others say another.

I dunno abt the rest but I buy it based on how well it can cool the tank. Then I look at the "hp" specs of the chiller. Did everyone think that the higher the "hp" rating the more powerfully it is and the "hp" should be referring to the actual "hp" of the compressor used?

Take an example. You don't see a honda civic SIR (1.6 litres engine capacity 170bhp) being market as a 1.8 litre or 2 litre car just because the bhp output is in the 2l catagory. It is still market in the 1.6litre CAT. The selling price is higher but it is made known that it is a 1.6litre car.

If the rating is based on the cooling power then it should be stated properly else the manufacturer is not delivering the right item and is playing with technical terms already.

Have you seen the older RR chiller? They are still rated at 1/3hp and 1/2hp but suddenly the new series is rated at 1/2hp and 1.25hp. I really wonder :P

• SRC Member
For me personally, i would buy sumthing based on compressor sizing and i think almost all will sell based on the sizing of the compressor instead of cooling capacity? like logically 1.25hp will mean a compressor of 1.25hp. Cooling capacity will be much more that the compressor size i think..

yes I totally agree..

as this also give me the wrong idea that the compressor is a 1.25hp one...