My Boxer Moulted!

twilight

• SRC Member

I went to look at my tank and actually got a little shocked. I saw my boxer shrimp's shell together with the feelers and the claws and the body was empty. I thought that it had died and got eaten by something else!

Then I realised that my boxed was behind of one of my LR coz I saw it's feelers..... then it hit me my boxer had moulted! Did not know that it would moult like that. I just bought my boxer for about 4 days :lol: I've attached a pic of the "body" the boxer left behind. The tail was swaying with the tank's current flow some more. I thought it was the boxer itself! haha...

Is any special care needed? Why do they moult and how often will they moult? Thanks

:)

post-7-1072455385.jpg

• SRC Member

it's common for all shrimp..

nothing too special about it..

dont worry...

my cleaner and boxer moult almost every now and then...

but look out for your boxer as it will eat anything smaller it's size.. it even eat cleaner shrimp too.. or even small fish it can catch..

but it's very gd for controlling/killing crab and worm in your tank..

Hi bro,

understand how you feel, the 1st time my anemone crab moulted, i tot the fella died! coz its shell was juz lying there... kekeke.... I tot it was attacked by my puffer, den i saw the fella a few days leter den i realise... hahahaha... :D:D:D

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Tigger Posted on Dec 28 2003, 12:29 AM

Sorry to sound stupid, why do shrimp moult? Growth??

yup, shells cannot grow...

so the shrmp will grow a new one underneath

then shed the old one .

you need to check the calcium levels of your water.

if its too low, shrimps and inverts cannot moult properly,

thus stunting their growth.