Algae Blenny losing weight.

My algae blenny has been slowly losing weight. But the thing is, there is an abundance of brown algae on the sandbed that he isn't eating, and some brown/green slime that he isn't eating either. And from what I know thats what Algae blennies are supposed to eat.

What do I do? :cry:

My algae blenny has been slowly losing weight. But the thing is, there is an abundance of brown algae on the sandbed that he isn't eating, and some brown/green slime that he isn't eating either. And from what I know thats what Algae blennies are supposed to eat.

What do I do? :cry:

did u try blended food like Henry formula? They do consume meaty food as well other than algae.. Is other fishes looks ok? Any algae bite mark on glass wall? if yes.. meaning he do eating... brown algae on sandbed? how old is yr tank age? You may check your water parameters or WC... Slow stocking if new tank sign.. :)

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

any fishes bullying it?

Cleaner wrasse? Sailfin tang attempts to nibble on him once and awhile, but no broken fins or anything.

did u try blended food like Henry formula? They do consume meaty food as well other than algae.. Is other fishes looks ok? Any algae bite mark on glass wall? if yes.. meaning he do eating... brown algae on sandbed? how old is yr tank age? You may check your water parameters or WC... Slow stocking if new tank sign.. :)

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

I feed hikari mysis and cyclops, and supplement nori for the tangs (but pieces often fall everywhere). I can't really tell abt the algae marks coz some of them were made by Tangs. Tank is around 6months. Water paraments all okay.

• SRC Member

Cleaner wrasse? Sailfin tang attempts to nibble on him once and awhile, but no broken fins or anything.

cleaner wrasse - most prob its just trying to clean it..

not too sure about your sailfin tang but it might be the problem... did it chase it away? but attempting to nibble seems to me like sign of not wanting the algae blenny to be in the tank... that is what happen to my algae blenny... my coral beauty chase the algae blenny away when it come out... and it starve to death...

or maybe your algae blenny is sick?

cleaner wrasse - most prob its just trying to clean it..

not too sure about your sailfin tang but it might be the problem... did it chase it away? but attempting to nibble seems to me like sign of not wanting the algae blenny to be in the tank... that is what happen to my algae blenny... my coral beauty chase the algae blenny away when it come out... and it starve to death...

or maybe your algae blenny is sick?

The sailfin tang does the same thing as the cleaner wrasse... definitely not agressive as fins all closed and doesn't chase him.

hmmm maybe he could be sick...

oh thanks btw, regarding the other thread.

• SRC Member

My Algae Blenny was hard working & did a good job cleaning up my tank's algae, but mysteriously stopped eating after a few months & up lorry. Haizz.. so sad. The pair of spotted cardinal wasn't even remotely interested in my blenny at all.

• SRC Member

The sailfin tang does the same thing as the cleaner wrasse... definitely not agressive as fins all closed and doesn't chase him.

hmmm maybe he could be sick...

oh thanks btw, regarding the other thread.

which thread?

• SRC Member

For my experience, I wasn't successful to keep an algae blenny. My 4ft tank could not provide the food the algae blenny need, even after the front glass pane is covered with the algae it consume. Tried a few times and none survive more than a year. Been more than a year since I've purchased an algae blenny.