Tour @ EYE Lighting

spade

• SRC Member

Was down there with Phang/Barracuda to get our ballast/bulb etc. the GM was kind enuf to entertain us, to test the bulb, show us the fittings, measure the light lux using diff fittings, although got no clue what lux tranlate to Kelvin rating :lol:

post-17-1041776441.jpg

• SRC Member

Not bad customer service from EYE. I think the 6500K doesn't look so yellow because the digital camera 'white balanced' the shot, similarly I'm sure the 50000K isn't so purple. Anyway, it's a good comparison.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Interestingly, the 50000K has a peak at both 420nm(violet) and 450nm(blue), usually bulbs have a peak at either but never both. I think it's a goods bulb for supplementation to any other bulb for good coral growth and fluorescence but might be too dim on it's own, unless a lot is used.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I am rather curious what the combination of 6500 and 50,000k would look like together?

I read that 50k looks like 12k in colour... not that dark or purple like actinics.

Does EYE lighting do such demos?

AT

• SRC Member
I am rather curious what the combination of 6500 and 50,000k would look like together?

I read that 50k looks like 12k in colour... not that dark or purple like actinics.

Does EYE lighting do such demos?

AT

they would probably do that if we got enuf people to go there to c. however, they work mon-fri only ;) i think they r trying to promote their aqua line of products :lol: gd for us

• SRC Member
Tanzy, would this new 50,000k bulb be comparable to radiums? In terms of PAR and superior in terms of having the right peaks?

I don't know about the PAR without any measurements taken but since it's only a 150W, PAR wll naturally be low compared to a 400W Radium. It really depends on how many of the Aqua bulbs you want to use. If you think my tank is too blue for your liking, then Aqua bulb colour might not appeal to you.

The spectral peaks are good but it will also mean a compromise in the output at the respective peaks compared to super violet or super blue bulb.

If you want to match bulbs, then it might interest you to know that Ushio/BLV and AB 10000K bulbs have a peak at 420nm,

Osram Radium bulbs have a peak at 450nm,

Iwasaki 6500K have a peak at 420nm,

Actinic 03 tubes have a peak at 420nm.

For good coral fluorescence you need 420nm violet light, not blue 450nm. That's the reason why I use Actinics with Radium even though it's a blue bulb. It seems that most white bulbs already have a peak at 420nm, so you might have to ask yourself if you need the 420nm peak in a supplemental bulb.

post-36-1093875548.jpg