Fine bubbles appearing from return

scarab

• SRC Member

I'm using an Eheim 1262 connectted via a 30mm flexible hose to a 20mm PVC pipe to return to my tank. Lately I've been experiencing fine bubble appearing from the retun into my tank. Have checked all connecttions and reseal with sealing material. clean my pupmp and everything but the bubles still persist. Can't find any leakage from the pipe and connections. Really frustrating!!! Please help

Is the pump returning bubbles caused by overflowing water into the sump?

Do you have baffles to let the bubbles dissipate in your sump? It will help prevent fine bubbles from being returned back to the tank.

had the same problem as u before also. Could it be from your skimmer that is emitting the fine bubbles? As AT said, this problem can be reduced through the use of baffles in your sump. Another possibility is that the bubbles are caused by the rushing of water down from the overflow chamber to your sump (which was my case). In that case, u can try to put a glass vase/container in the particular chamber directly underneath the pipe where the water drains from the main display tank to the sump. The vase has to be higher than the water level in that chamber and this will help channel a fair bit of bubbles to the surface before going into the sump. Acts like a baffle basically....:)

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

sorry guys but what's a baffle?? :unsure: I don't see the bubbles in my refugium maybe i can't see but i do see bubble appearing from the gap that leads into my refugium. Had some problem with my skimmer previously but had change my skimmer outflow to solve that. This bubble appeared before then it stop but now it start again. will take some photos to show

• SRC Member

i used to have fine micro bubbles from the return pump to main tank.. i tried coveringing with a small piece of wool filter at the end of the return tube to the main tank.. seems to works.. saw almost no bubles now.. hopes this help

• SRC Member
i used to have fine micro bubbles from the return pump to main tank.. i tried coveringing with a small piece of wool filter at the end of the return tube to the main tank.. seems to works.. saw almost no bubles now.. hopes this help

Won't it get choked easily from debris from the tank?

• SRC Member

the wools is white in colour.. when it changes colour i'll chg it... :).. btw i secure it (with freeplay) with rubberband

Freeplay means it is not tight against the opening of the pipe right? Btw what's the average period before you need to change the wool? I have bio balls in the 1st chamber. Do you suggest that I remove all of them?

• SRC Member

Freeplay means it is not tight against the opening of the pipe right? Btw what's the average period before you need to change the wool? I have bio balls in the 1st chamber. Do you suggest that I remove all of them?

my freeplay = secure tightly at the end but with loose allowance.. get wad i mean?

just tied this 2 days ago .. colour still white.. dun think will will get clok easily since this returned water is already gone thur few stages of filtering.. bio balls? i dun use... no comments.. but heard its nitrate factory if not maintain/properly setup.. u have to ask others about this..

• SRC Member
why dont u put a piece of cutton just under the overflow.. then this will reduce the current thus reduce the bubble cause from the current

In the overflow before the pipe that bring water down to the sump or at the end of this pipe before the water enters the sump? :blink:

• SRC Member

my freeplay = secure tightly at the end but with loose allowance.. get wad i mean?

just tied this 2 days ago .. colour still white.. dun think will will get clok easily since this returned water is already gone thur few stages of filtering.. bio balls? i dun use... no comments.. but heard its nitrate factory if not maintain/properly setup.. u have to ask others about this..

Oh it's the end of the return in the tank, huh? Won't this reduce the flow of the water into the tank?

• SRC Member

In the overflow before the pipe that bring water down to the sump or at the end of this pipe before the water enters the sump? :blink:

it will be more wise to place it after the pipe where the water enter into the sump..

in this way u would get chock or anything by tieing a cloth on the pipe...

if not u can use LR to break the current.. then on the 2nd compartment.. u then place the cutton...

for me.. i use LR first then follow by skimmer then follow by many cutton..

• SRC Member

it will be more wise to place it after the pipe where the water enter into the sump..

in this way u would get chock or anything by tieing a cloth on the pipe...

if not u can use LR to break the current.. then on the 2nd compartment.. u then place the cutton...

for me.. i use LR first then follow by skimmer then follow by many cutton..

So you are suggestinng that I don't tie things to the pipe to prevent it from choking, right?