Chiller questions.

Hailea HC-150A 1/10 HP[HC-150A]SGD379.00

Hello there, I am interested in the abovementioned chiller but i need to clarify a few things before committing to it. I have a 3x2x2 main tank used with a sump and skimmer. Do I need to purchase a separate pump to draw out water from the sump to chiller? Where is the water from the chiller usually deposited? Main tank or sump? Do I still need to use my return pump in my sump? Most importantly how much will the increase in utility bill be in dollars. I hope you can help me with my questions. Thank you.

• SRC Member

Do I need to purchase a separate pump to draw out water from the sump to chiller?

My setup i used a seperate pump to pump the water into the chiller. I believe some T off from their return provided the pump is strong. I suggest use a seperate pump and follow the recommended flowrate for the chiller.Also pls factor chiller size for the tank. You dont want to get it underpowered and work hard to cool the tank

Where is the water from the chiller usually deposited?

The water from the chiller flows back to my return pump sump area where it gets carried into the tank.

Main tank or sump?

I thnk there is a few configuration on this. Most common is into the return pump area.Some pump directly into the main tank but must anticipate flowrate etc.

Do I still need to use my return pump in my sump? Most importantly how much will the increase in utility bill be in dollars. I hope you can help me with my questions. Thank you.

Cant advise you on bills. maybe can try calculate using online bills chart.Definitely will have an increase because have other acc.. Most powerful pump are around 90watt above.

Hope this helps.

Hailea HC-150A 1/10 HP[HC-150A]SGD379.00

Hello there, I am interested in the abovementioned chiller but i need to clarify a few things before committing to it. I have a 3x2x2 main tank used with a sump and skimmer. Do I need to purchase a separate pump to draw out water from the sump to chiller? Where is the water from the chiller usually deposited? Main tank or sump? Do I still need to use my return pump in my sump? Most importantly how much will the increase in utility bill be in dollars. I hope you can help me with my questions. Thank you.

For a 322 tank, you will be better off using a 1/5HP chiller. As for the increase in electricity bills, it really depends on the temperature setting of your chiller and the flow rate through your chiller. The lower the temperature setting, the higher your electricity bill will be.

• SRC Member

Do I need to purchase a separate pump to draw out water from the sump to chiller?

No need. You could use a pump to pump water from the sump tank to the chiller and then to the main tank.

Where is the water from the chiller usually deposited?

To the main tank.

Main tank or sump?

Main tank. It is more efficient to return to main tank rather than sump tank cause it is inefficient to return it back to sump tank and having another pump to return the cold water back to the main tank. Don't waste the electricity usage.

Do I still need to use my return pump in my sump? Most importantly how much will the increase in utility bill be in dollars. I hope you can help me with my questions. Thank you.

You'll need only 1 return pump to pump the water to the chiller and then to the main tank. Frankly, be prepared for a $100 increase in your monthly utility bill, if it's cheaper, save you some money right?!? But this is not a money saving hobby so don't expect to spend less.

Also, try to get your chiller to be modified with an external temperature probe. With this in place, you do not have to worry whether your pump flow rate is too fast or too slow. It will take the temperature of the actual water temperature that you want the tank to be, not the temperature in the chiller water compartment. More efficient this way.

Hope this will help you in your set up.