Hong kong LFS.

yikai

• Senior Reefer

a badly taken pic of the mesoleucos butterflies.

everyday i walk to the shop to take a look at it! yesterday had around 10. today left 8.

in the tub are chaetodon larvatus also. another red sea butterfly not available in singapore anymore. but it's an obligate SPS eater and cannot be kept alive.

post-15755-0-61896300-1293698724_thumb.j

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Senior Reefer

this shop had something interesting.

not fish but plants.

not plants, but pitcher plants (Nepenthes sp.) and venus flytraps. (Dionea muscipula)

i used to keep these in singapore with much success. venus flytraps are harder because they need to undergo winter dormancy.

post-15755-0-88846200-1293698832_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

care to share which mtr and directions?

went hk few times but miss the good stuff

take the MTR to prince edward and go out of exit B.

once out of exit B, turn left and cross the road, and continue walking until you see a petrol kiosk.

opposite the petrol kiosk is a huge street with a big arowana sighboard. that is goldfish street.

tons of freshwater shops and some marine shops.

some of the freshwater shops sell both marine and fresh. but the marine fishes in those shops are common and usually diseased.

i reccomend yat wong aquarium, also on goldfish street. it's very big and have many many rare fish. all the conspic, koran hybrid etc are from that shop.

• Senior Reefer

If you are in hong kong and want to eat seafood, i reccomend this place.

the address is here.

sorry i don't know how to read chinese.

the food is amazing. price wise is like jumbo seafood at east coast.

nearest MTR station is jordan.

be sure to order the water chest nut drink. v nice.

and the steam bamboo clams with garlic. i did not take photos of those 2. but v v nice

post-15755-0-36663400-1293708793_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

this too.

deep friend mantis shrimp. the shell is very hard to peel and need to be cut with scissors.

it tastes like a cross between scallops and lobster. texture is abit chewy.

very delicious!

post-15755-0-09940200-1293709008_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

this is also another must try.

it's crab smothered in a mountain of deep fried garlic. very interesting dish.

and it's literally, under a MOUNTAIN of garlic. but the garlic is deep fried and very very crispy and fragrant. like potato chips. and its very delicious.

the crab is buried under like.... 3 inch of garlic? i don't know how much garlic they used. the garlic probably costs as much as the crab... lol

i took a photo of the garlic after the crab was finished. so much! spoon for comparison.

post-15755-0-97836500-1293709096_thumb.j

post-15755-0-75293300-1293709165_thumb.j

this is also another must try.

it's crab smothered in a mountain of deep fried garlic. very interesting dish.

and it's literally, under a MOUNTAIN of garlic. but the garlic is deep fried and very very crispy and fragrant. like potato chips. and its very delicious.

the crab is buried under like.... 3 inch of garlic? i don't know how much garlic they used. the garlic probably costs as much as the crab... lol

i took a photo of the garlic after the crab was finished. so much! spoon for comparison.

Yummmmmy

• SRC Member

bro lemon, do take note that the LFS in HK close late so only open late morning bout 12pm. So gottna check what time ya flight and work out from there. there also a acrylic shop along fish street, does and sell amazing range of fish boxes and traps.

did you go to Fa Yueh Street? Just next to fish street. it's a local market with cheap goodies.

• Senior Reefer

bro lemon, do take note that the LFS in HK close late so only open late morning bout 12pm. So gottna check what time ya flight and work out from there. there also a acrylic shop along fish street, does and sell amazing range of fish boxes and traps.

did you go to Fa Yueh Street? Just next to fish street. it's a local market with cheap goodies.

oh that's good.

my flight is 7pm and have to be at the airport by 5pm. so i have enough time to go shopping before i board the plane :)

yes i saw the acrylic shop. sell many nice box, tanks, traps and small containers.

fa yueh street i went also. like a very big pasar malam with plenty of cheap goods.

• 4 weeks later...

Want to see some rare fish?

Day 1 in Hong kong and i paid a visit to gold fish street.

Hong kong is famous for big angels and butterflies.

but first. look at how identical the MTR system there is similar to our MRT system!

singapore copy?

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

Haha...I think it is the other way round. Tho I am a true blue Singaporean, I must say our MRT system sucks and it stands pale compared to HK. HK transport infrastructure is so efficient and they have all modes of transport that you can think of: trains, cabs, buses (at least not monopolise by Govt as the bus companieS are privately owned), mini buses that run 24 hrs, ferry, trams etc. HK has those signs and stations indicators donkey years back and long before we had it in our trains...and as a heartlander like me, one will notice that sometimes the indicators in our trains don't work and if they did, it is not accurate, it is either one stop ahead or behind. So I dont bother to pay attention to those indicators in the trains anymore.

I visit Mongkok fish street every week when I was working there and I wished we had something like that here. However, at least we have fish farms here and HK doesn't.

Hope you had a great trip in HK, eating, shopping and fish hunting.

Happy CNY :)

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

• SRC Member

Haha...I think it is the other way round. Tho I am a true blue Singaporean, I must say our MRT system sucks and it stands pale compared to HK. HK transport infrastructure is so efficient and they have all modes of transport that you can think of: trains, cabs, buses (at least not monopolise by Govt as the bus companieS are privately owned), mini buses that run 24 hrs, ferry, trams etc. HK has those signs and stations indicators donkey years back and long before we had it in our trains...and as a heartlander like me, one will notice that sometimes the indicators in our trains don't work and if they did, it is not accurate, it is either one stop ahead or behind. So I dont bother to pay attention to those indicators in the trains anymore.

I visit Mongkok fish street every week when I was working there and I wished we had something like that here. However, at least we have fish farms here and HK doesn't.

Hope you had a great trip in HK, eating, shopping and fish hunting.

Happy CNY :)

Agree on that, the lighted station indicators inside trains have been around in HKG so so long ago it's SG that is actually playing the catch up. In some stations like Central, they also have advertisement systems on the walls along the train tracks that produces an effect where you seem to view a video paying on them while the train is moving. See a sampling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWTZgXSq_A.

The delicious crab in a mountain of garlic is called "Bei Fung Tong" Spicy crab (避風塘炒蟹). English translation will be Typhoon Shelter Spicy Crab. It was made famous by this stall. Another popular restaurant for this dish is this.

Here's a list of must try foods in HKG.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Haha...in fact the other aspect SMRT can learn from HK is to indicate the changing of line on the indicators, for eg all the stations along the line will blink up where commuters are to change train, this way commuters will know if they are on the right track and if the stations they are heading are along the line at the next platform...WAKE UP SMRT!!!

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...