Piping size for water to fall.

• SRC Member

Will like to check with u guys.

Can any1 tell me what size (diameter) of piping to use for water to be direct into sump if my return pump is gonna be ehiem 1264?

Will a 30mm pipe be big enough? Fast enough for the water down fall?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Can any1 tell me what size (diameter) of piping to use for water to be direct into sump if my return pump is gonna be ehiem 1264?

1264 pushes about 1200gal/hr and according to RC calculator you will be about a 36mm drain pipe. But this is not taking into the account of head loss.

Personally, I would recommend 2 x 25mm drain pipe rather than 1 x 30mm drain pipe just to be safe. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

If u have space go for bigger pipe size in case any upgrading of return pump

... 1*40mm with 2*32 or 36mm...

40mm for your main drain to sump,one of the 32mm u can use it as a gravity feed to any skimmer or UV, the other 32mm as an emergency overflow in case something stuck at the first two piping.

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Thanks for all the above bros for the input.

Roughly got the idea liao.Will go check it out :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Need some advise...

My overflow tank water level will up to a certain level, then flow down to sump tank and rise up again.

Is this right? Or should the level constant, always stay in one level?

When water is flowing down to sump, when it reaches near the end, there will be a loud water emptying sound. How to reduce this sound?

• SRC Member

Need some advise...

My overflow tank water level will up to a certain level, then flow down to sump tank and rise up again.

When water is flowing down to sump, when it reaches near the end, there will be a loud water emptying sound. How to reduce this sound?

I suppose u mean overflow tank is your main tank overflow compartment?

If that's the case yes.Will flow to the compartment level then down to sump.It's not rise up again la bro.It's back to main tank via return pump!

I suppose the end of sump u mean is the last compartment where your return pump is.

To solve that problem,add more water into sump.Higher the water level is at the last compartment,lesser the water fall sound will be.

Best if u can provide pics to show us. And we can give u a more appropriate answer.

• SRC Member

Hi Vinc,

I think I understand what you mean. You should have an air tube at the tip of your durso pipe(see pic below). You can:

(1) Enlarge the hole slightly, & replace with larger size air tube. Keep increasing air tube size until water level stabilizes in your overflow compartment.

OR

(2) Drill another small hole next to the existing one, & add a 2nd air tube(preferably smallest size you can find). Increase this 2nd air tube size until water level stabilizes in your overflow compartment.

5191926438_1e3396f1dc_z.jpg

Need some advise...

If you are using durso and you are having inconsistent water level at the overflow box, it is due to these, if you need help, please PM me. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381