want to know more about lights

• SRC Member

hi, i am getting 1 PL 55w. so i want the tank to look only abit blue , so what type should i get ? 50/50 or the K type ?(if K type how many K to get ?) :thanks:

SBS_Transit

what brand PL got k rating and how much for 55 watt? :lol::lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Higher Kelvin Lighting penetrates better into deeper waters as other spectral colors get filtered off by the water. However Lower kelvin lights are more intense and are better for Photosynthethic Zooxanthelle algae. Higher Kelvin Lights also appear bluish thus more pleasing to the eye. lights of 10,000k and below are often slightly pinkish. Trust me. once you see the difference you wouldn't like the 10000k one maybe you should go to some LFS and let them show you the lighting difference (visual) and decide then. I would choose a 15,000Kelvin bulb over a 10,000 in a heartbeat. HTH

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

They don't stop growing. are you refering to zooanthids or the zooxanthelle algae? Anyway 20,000k Sounds great to me. Very blue though haha. I like. Zooxanthelle do not need much light to grow and fluorish. It's just that photosynthethic substances like chlorophyll absorb and utilise light of lower color spectrum better. High Kelvin wouldn't and shouldn't hinder their growth or affect their health. Don't worry about it. They are not very demanding in the light aspect.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

my tank is small so i dont need to get 2 55w, maybe iget 1 55w10k and an an actinic. but i would prefer all in 1,how blue is a 55w 15k look like ?

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

a bit blue u can get a 15,000 Kelvin one. I suggest you ask the LFS to show you the color of the light before u buy it. usually 15,000K gives a slight bluish hue. Otherwise you can get a 20k and a 10k one.

50/50 (usually 50% 10,000 and 50% actinic) won't show as much blue as a 15,000Kelvin bulb but will make zooxanthelle fluorescence more due to the actinic,

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

PL light should have. GO to the LFS and inquire. when buying bulb, dun buy the FAKE 50/50 these are white and BLUE light combined. Blue light not actinic. If you want to get 50/50 make sure it's actinic and not blue.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

any ones tank is under 1 55w,10K and 1 actinic or 1 55w,15K or 1 55w,50/50 ??

pls show a pic of your tank, i want to see :rolleyes::thanks:

SBS_Transit