help needed on tangs

shakes

• SRC Member

PT are known to be more aggressive and can't get along with YT...

Though there are rare cases were reefers were known to keep them in harmony... The possibility of achieving this is slim but reefers who accomplish this do so in the following way:

1) Big Tank... so more territorial space for both tangs. (In this case, for your 3.5 feet tank, shouldn't be a problem unless you already have many other fishes in the tank, what else do u have in your tank?)

2) Introduce both tangs at the same time or the less aggressive one, in this case, the YT, first to the tank.

3) YT slightly bigger than PT

4) Rearrange the rockwork so YT and PT have a fair chance of reestablishing their territory...

Personally, I would advise you to give up your YT or your PT... since they are already showing aggression to each other...

Good luck!

• SRC Member

I have a yellow, purple, sailfin and blue tank in a 2.5 x 2 x 2 tank.... not easy to get them settled in together though.....

Two ways -

1. Put yr yellow tank in a transparent plastic floating tank and leave the whole thing inside the main tank. The idea is to let the purple tang get used to the YT. You need to leave it there at least a week. It worked for me.

2. Heard this - put a few mirrors facing the main tank and let your purple tang "fight" them (actually looking at itself). Adding the YT should be ok as the PT will be distracted by "other" PTs in the tank. May work as it sounds logical..... :)

3. Last resort - sell of yr current PT and add a new PT and YT at the same time.... they might fight for a while but will not be fatal. Did this before.

Good luck....

Oh yes, it seems that my 4 tangs have stopped growing bigger for a while already. Could be due to the limited space and they adjusted to it according. Maybe now they are only growing sideways.... :)

I introduced new tangs at nite when the lights are out...gives the newbie time to find place to hide when fight breaks out in the morning...after a day or two, things should be back to normal...

The slightly chipped fin will heal in a week ...

I have a sailfin, yellow, brown scopas (or brown) and blue (hippo) tang...

good luck ! :D:D

• SRC Member
I have a yellow, purple, sailfin and blue tank in a 2.5 x 2 x 2 tank.... not easy to get them settled in together though.....

Two ways -

1. Put yr yellow tank in a transparent plastic floating tank and leave the whole thing inside the main tank. The idea is to let the purple tang get used to the YT. You need to leave it there at least a week. It worked for me.

2. Heard this - put a few mirrors facing the main tank and let your purple tang "fight" them (actually looking at itself). Adding the YT should be ok as the PT will be distracted by "other" PTs in the tank. May work as it sounds logical..... :)

3. Last resort - sell of yr current PT and add a new PT and YT at the same time.... they might fight for a while but will not be fatal. Did this before.

Good luck....

Oh yes, it seems that my 4 tangs have stopped growing bigger for a while already. Could be due to the limited space and they adjusted to it according. Maybe now they are only growing sideways.... :)

I like this ... potential buyer here .. U got PM .. kekeke

mydog.gif

• SRC Member

If you are able to catch both, put them both in a new bare tank with no rock. No territory to fight over. When I intro my YT to my tank already with one yellow tang, the old one hoot the new one very bad. Then while rescaping rock, put both into the sump for a few days. Now they dont fight any more. Just the occasional brushing of tails once in a while. A new bare tank would be new to both the new YT and the old YT. :lol:

IMO, when u wanna keep tangs of the same species together, u should buy them together and release them at the same time into ur tank. but if u do so otherwise, u will most probably suffer fatalities....... so my advise will be to keep only one tang for now in ur situation.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png