Quarantine Corals?

Does anyone here Quarantine their newly purchased corals?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do u quarantine newly purchased corals from LFS?

• YES
    • NO
    • Only SPS, LPS should be fine

Hi Guys,

Got another newbie question, as my tank is now ready for some LPS or soft corals, should i quarantine newly purchased corals from LFS?

From what i read, quarantine is good for removal of harmful pest. Mainly done for SPS corals due to red bugs. Recommanded Tropic Marine Coral Cure.

Just doing a quick poll to see if u guys do qurantine your corals after purchasing from the farm.

Also, just a quick question, does "ich" or other fish related problems affect the corals?

Appreciate some advise from the long term reefers ;)

Thanks!

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

normally i would coral rx all corals before putting into my tank (however still got some pest after a while)...

what you can do is check the coral when are at the shop, if it's healthy there should not be much issue. if you have the space / luxury for another qurantine tank, yes you can, but without it it's still ok.

If you are paranoid like me, you will think of the worst case scenario. Cysts of whitespot & velvet can hitch on corals. It's good if the coral you buy are held in a fishless system. This will greatly decrease the risks of fish disease transmission.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

If you are paranoid like me, you will think of the worst case scenario. Cysts of whitespot & velvet can hitch on corals. It's good if the coral you buy are held in a fishless system. This will greatly decrease the risks of fish disease transmission.

fuel has a very good point

apart from the various coral pests, the water that your corals carry with them (internally or on the surface) into your tank, even though the bag water is discarded, still can carry diseases and parasites for fishes. i've read of many reefers who put their corals through 8 weeks of qt to get rid of the risk of ich for their fishes. this applies slightly more to lps who would carry the previous tank's water in them into the new tank compared to sps which deals with mainly water on the surface but i do not mean lps should be qt and not sps

• Senior Reefer

it's pointless if you QT corals for white spots or velvet that potentially hitch a ride on it, if you don't qt your fish in the first place.

the chances of corals carrying fish disease is very slim. the chances of unquarantined fishes carrying fish disease is very high. so it's useless in QT-ing corals if no one here QT their fishes. unless you are QT-ing your fish as well, then QT-ing corals for disease is a good idea.

however, QT-ing your corals for coral disease and pest like red bugs, nudibranch, snails is a good idea and usually a few preventative dips in coral RX will do the trick. unless dealing with nudibranch eggs. then it's a whole other can of worms.

I am referring to Zoa here, the effort to do even a plain FW dip and do even a short QT for this ployp will save you a lot of work and frustration down the road.

I use to believe that if the colony looks good and you get it from a good source, it should be relatively pest free and if there is any outbreak, I should be able to fix it easily. I was seriously wrong on both count.

So needless to say an outbreak of Nudi happened and it took literally months and months to totally eradicate these pest and in the process of daily or alternate days dipping, moving, etc took its toll on some of the colonies, and some died.

That's my 2 cents, from my own experience.

Thanks alot guys for the great advises! I guess i will be doing some form of "preventive meansures". I will try using Tropic-marine's coral cure, and maybe quaranteen it for a few days. Anyone can explain abit on coral Fx? done a search on google, didnt get much results. Thanks alot! :)

I Love Stagsss