Some questions to ask...

• SRC Member

Hi ppl,

I am new here and thought of setting up a marine tank...i failed once already..its painful...

But i want to try it again...

Ok here are the questions...

Hope u ppl can help

1) I am intending to get a 3ft with internal overflow system...so i am asking is that good enough for a 3ft ? (I dun like canister and external is abit too ex for me as need to get cabinet with it as well)

2) How to prevent livesand growing algae as i saw some which had...and its awful...

3) For lightings what should i get ? Brand ? Price ? Type of lights ? (intenting to keep corals and fishes and maybe clams)

4) Where is the best place now in SINGAPORE to get those livestocks ?

5) I know test kits is a must, so how many type of test kit should i get ? Roughly how much will it be ??

Ok think thats all....

THANKS and Regards...

• SRC Member

i really dun get wat u mean...

If u wan me to ans yr questions...

ans...yes i did sold my stuffs....so now i wan to start a new 3ft lor....was using 2.5ft last time

as for that friend, his there is not cheap either, selling at $9 per kg...act is $8...$1 he keep....

Hope these will clear yr doubts.

• SRC Member

You two know each other? :unsure:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Sensing some bad vibes here. :ph34r:

Anyway,

1) Better to get a sump and a drilled tank with overflow. More space for skimmers and stuff. A refugium can also be added to the sump design.

2) Black sand sifting sea cucumbers will help so will increased water circulation to prevent detritus buildup on the sand bed.

3) What kind of corals? I'll recommend metal halides for clams as it helps retain their colour better. MH will also give a more natural look to the tank. MH will need a chiller too unless the tank is in an aircon room.

4) What do you have in mind?

5) Read this thread.

Perform a search on the board and you will find some helpful threads that will answer some of your questions in more detail. Also checkout the links posted. Your question is not new and it is quite pointless to repeat what others have covered in greater detail.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

but i dun understand wat is black sand ?? black color sand ??

'Black sand sifting sea cucumbers' wat u mean by this ??

It just a black coloured sea cucumber that feed on detritus on top of the sand thus keeping the sand cleaned and white.

• SRC Member

Hi guys, Is everything ok? :huh:

B) Chill my brothers!!! B)

Thank god this is a forum and they are not face to face. :o

if not :angry: "kedebak!! kedebuk!!" :rolleyes::D:)

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

Woah! What's happening here?

You two guys have some bad blood with each other?

Cool it down, we have a very good atmosphere here in SRC and I intend to keep it that way.

If there are some issues that I should be aware of, pls PM me directly.

Till then, let's keep it cordial guys.

Let's have a Happy New Year! :rolleyes::DB)

• SRC Member

No lar i am sure we are fine...no grudges....

By the way would like to ask another questions...

can i put my LR bit by bit....coz dun have much $$ left after getting tank with sump and lights...

would like to start slowly....

No lar i am sure we are fine...no grudges....

By the way would like to ask another questions...

can i put my LR bit by bit....coz dun have much $$ left after getting tank with sump and lights...

would like to start slowly....

Yes you can put LR in slowly in batches.

You only have to be aware that uncured liverock may trigger mini cycles and that may stress your livestock.

Try reading up information on marine reefkeeping basics. You can find a lot of information there which will help you. Asking for answers to basic questions can irritate some people if they think you haven't done any homework on your own.

Many of us learn a lot on our own by reading books and researching online.

Newbies are welcomed to ask questions if they have difficulty understanding the basics... many of us here know enough to help newbies along the way.

Good luck on your quest!

• SRC Member
Thanks alot tanzy...

but i dun understand wat is black sand ?? black color sand ??

'Black sand sifting sea cucumbers' wat u mean by this ??

thanks alot

In addition to a cucumber (which to me looks butt ugly and may pollute your water when it dies), you might consider getting a goby instead.

Gobies also stir the sand to prevent algae from accumulating, and they are more interesting to look at.

• SRC Member

Sleeper gobies will stir the sand and happily eat all your sand fauna. A sand sifting star will do that too. I had a pair of golden head sleepers and when they were around, I've never seen worm trails on in the sand along the glass. Now that they are gone, the worms are back. Cucumbers are more sand bed friendly.

post-36-1093875548.jpg