New ID game

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Sorry since i was a spoiler for the previous ID game.

i'll make another one.

here's 6 species of very similar fairy wrasses from the rubiventralis complex.

how many of them can u identify correctly?

post-15755-0-48406100-1297912984_thumb.j

Sorry since i was a spoiler for the previous ID game.

i'll make another one.

here's 6 species of very similar fairy wrasses from the rubiventralis complex.

how many of them can u identify correctly?

LOL... My favorite complex for fairy wrasse... Can I answer... :P :P :P

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Mine looks like the photo on lower right. beautiful specimen.... aggressive bugger and tank bully.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

yes.

#2 - Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis. (Social or Longfin fairy wrasse)

#6 - Cirrhilabrus naokoae. (Naoko's fairy wrasse. Named and described by my friend, Dr. Hiroyuki Tanaka and other scientisits. He named it after his wife, Naoko)

#1 - anyone can guess? it's from africa

#3 - how about this?

#4 - how about this rare one? It's from Australia

#5 - this one is a tough cookie from Bali.

• Senior Reefer

yes correct.

actually i made a thread with all the fairy wrasses of the world in it and i even pinned it up. so it's a very easy game and all the answers are inside.

#3 - Cirrhilabrus joanallenae. very rare fairy wrasse, and differs from rubriventralis by having a pure black ventral fin instead. was named after the describer's wife, Joan.

#4 - Cirrhilabrus morrisoni. Very rare in the trade and from northwestern Australia. also a member of the rubriventralis complex.

since all the answers can be found from my wrasse thread, i'll just give the identity. no kick in letting you guys find :P I'll start a new game soon.

#1 - is an undescribed species from Kenya. It's often called the "Kwazulu fairy wrasse". It has no scientific name yet. The defining characteristic is it's brilliant golden tail which differs from the blue tail of rubriventralis and joanallenae. LCK bring this in a few times before but all were females.

#5 - this is also another undescribed one from Bali. It has no scientific name but resembles morrisoni, thus, it's tentative name now is "Cirrhilabrus cf. morrisoni" meaning confer to morrisoni. It's from Bali and i've yet to seen it.

• SRC Member

I can only ID 2 & 6 positively. The rest are a tricky lot.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)