Chromis and Nemo

• SRC Member

I have 5 green chromis and they were living very well in my tank.

They eat pellets and let my shrimp pick their back sometimes...

However, whenever i added nemo into my tank, few days later, it will have some whiteish thing and died after a while without eating from day 1.

Why? I thought nemo is as hardy as chromis?

Should i buy mysis shrimp to feed nemo?

I heard that you could give it a daily freshwater bath, each not more than 5mins. Perhaps some bros can verify and advise on this.

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

• Senior Reefer

NO!

dont FW dip the clowns.

Brooklynella cannot be eradicated with FW dip!

only formalin can remove brook.

just stop buying wild caught clownfish for the next few weeks. buy captive bred clowns. they are brook-free

thats cool!

can some bros please advise...

after getting from lfs, put in qt for how many days?

trasnfer to freshwater for 5mins daily for how many days?

then can go to main tank...

is it quite a hassle...

I advice stop adding any fishes for the moment. Probably 3-4weeks until other residence no sign of sickness show...

For yr new fishes, try QT them at least ensure they feed well before release to main tank and makesure your QT tank condition close similar as Main Tank. If not put them in betta box for acclimatize b4 release. My methods is using link holding tank for acclimatize & Styrofoam box with Airpump for QT. Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Can show a pic of both tanks?

Paiseh, my tank very ugly... Below r the link holding tank for fishes.... Sorry, pics just taken when light off... was setup my new TLF FR... :P

post-9248-0-37356500-1298309432_thumb.jp

QT tank? Pls find below the Styrofoam box and cheap overhang filter (I running without filter median just normal wool).. Always prepare this for difficult new fish... Change with yr tank water ~20% every day...

post-9248-0-35715700-1298309647_thumb.jppost-9248-0-90326100-1298309658_thumb.jp

But main concern is to make sure tank stable before future stocking..

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I don't have a QT but for had another "holding tank".

I use a suitably size basket and with styrofoam tied near the top edges to ensure that the edge is slightly above water.

This is put into my sump as a holding tank and used as and when needed.

Be it for new fish or for fish caught to be sold, etc.

Sometimes it even act as a temporary tank for my sun corals when i need to "train" them.

Lastly the basket must fit into your sump!

• SRC Member

understand liao..

i should go and buy those baby tank that hook onto the edge of the sump tank.

any new intro should go there first.

my sump is in the cabinet and when close, it is dark..ok for the fishes? or should i add a light in my cabinet..

• SRC Member

understand liao..

my sump is in the cabinet and when close, it is dark..ok for the fishes? or should i add a light in my cabinet..

Yes... commonly refered as betta box or isolation box in our forum..

Cost slightly more than $10. I had it for use in the main tank.

But can't fix into my sump. :( so i had the basket for the sump :)

understand liao..

Ya, u can do that. Some fishes like wrasses, basslet I dun QT but straightaway in Holding tank after acclimatise but we need to bear the risk of disease spread via water.

And take note fish might jump out from betta box, so precaution must take place....

Dark? no harm to fish.. but how u train your fish feeding?.. My sump 24hour light and Holding tank follow main tank photo period.

Do you have LR/Chaeto in yr sump/refugium? U shld add some light at least reverse photo period versus your main tank.

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

You mean should on a light in sump 24hr?

Why?

Wat is Reverse photo period?

My sump only has a skimmer, and a return pump.

Oops, mind to share yr Sump pics? Will explain to u more later.. Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

There you go..my sump pics...

The left one is it your refugium? What's consisting? what is the photoperiod/lighting time? Flow rate? Very envy your sump space... :) Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Oops, mind to share yr Sump pics? Will explain to u more later.. Cheers..

Below r some extracted from book "The REEF Aquarium by PHIL HUNT"

Using a Sump

To use macroalgae for filtration, the tank water needs to be circulated through a sump that is equipped with lighting and has a substrate to which the algae can attach. The lighting can be kept on 24 hours a day or can be set up so that it is on when the main tank lighting is off. The latter method is known as reverse daylight photosynthesis (Reverse photoperiod). Because photosynthesising algae produce oxygen and consume carbon dioxide, both methods keep oxygen and PH levels high 24 hours a day. Avoiding the drop in both that typically occurs at night in the reef aquarium. The macroalgae used for filtration generally do not require very intense light and one or two standard fluorescent tubes over the sump will provide enough illumination.

Beside that, you may adding more LiveRock... Oxygen levels in the water are high at the surface of the rock, and this area holds a large population of nitrifying bacteria. As part of the nitrifying process, these bacteria deplete much of the oxygen from the water as it flows over them, but deeper within the rock denitrifying bacteria thrive in this deoxygenated water and reduce the nitrate to nitrogen gas, live rock can thus act as complete biological filter, converting ammonia to nitrate, and nitrate to nitrogen gas.

So either you manage them in your sump or refugium. Depends your setup....

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

The left one is a top up tank.

I put more spare lr in it..and those unwanted visitors, black crabby from one of the reefer lr which i purchased from him. and some snails.

I am intending to use that as a QT for new intro of livestock. ok?

Dont envy, it is that i dont know what to put in my sump. thats why it is so empty..heee

So I am right in the sense that i placed LR in the down pipe before flowing to the middle compartment of the sump...hee

Do you think it is good to put LS at the bottom, then LR on top? Currently, I use white filter wool...

The left one is a top up tank.

I put more spare lr in it..and those unwanted visitors, black crabby from one of the reefer lr which i purchased from him. and some snails.

I am intending to use that as a QT for new intro of livestock. ok?

Dont envy, it is that i dont know what to put in my sump. thats why it is so empty..heee

So I am right in the sense that i placed LR in the down pipe before flowing to the middle compartment of the sump...hee

Do you think it is good to put LS at the bottom, then LR on top? Currently, I use white filter wool...

Cheers.. :)

Ya, you r right to place LR there.. can try add more on other compartment..

Top up with salt water?? Just worry your salinity going up and up.. Need to take note and be careful.. because the evaporation mostly water and the remaining salt contain in tank versus water ratio become higher.

If you plan uses it as QT/acclimatise tank... than need to make sure the condition similar as main tank and the water flow is sufficient.

LS (Live Sand) at Sump bottom? I think is not advisable as the flow rate @ that area is too strong , the loose sand escape once a while will seized your return pump in long run... LS, miracle muds or DSB (Deep Sand Bed) try in refugium with algae.. Another good ECO filter system.. :) Cheers & Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore