Sump tank question

Hi! I'm not to sure about the sump tank concept....

coz I'm intending to do one, I was told to drill a hold at the bottom of the tank? But if it is at the bottom of the tank, won't the dsb cover it?

Sorry if this question sounds kind of dumb..... :unsure:

How do u get water to go to the sump?

Hi, its alright, don't worry about asking questions, we're here to help.

The holes should be in your overflow compartment separated from your DSB/main tank area.

There should be a few threads in this very category concerning sumps and its design.

Good luck. :)

• SRC Member

The overflow compartment is like a walled off corner of the tank that's about 85-95% the height of the tank. Water overflows from the main tank area into this chamber where the hole is situated at the bottom to drain the water to the sump.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

oso... wat is the preferred flow rate for a main 2 footer tank? as in the flow rate frm the sump to the main and main to the sump etc... ha... :D and actually dun need to drill a hole @ the bottom of tank rite? can juz pump out the water and pump back up? it's all abt getting the water down mah... izzit?

wolfie

I suppose there is no hard and fast rule for flow rate, it depends on what's your water turnover rate, which will indirectly relate to how powerful is your pump.

I'm not too sure but I think the larger pumps do take up more juice and generate additional heat.

As many of the more experienced reefers would point out that a double pump would spell disaster if any of them fail (think water input without being pumped out = messy room = BIG TIME ear bleed :lol::lol: )

Less equipment = less maintenance = less variables

• SRC Member
and actually dun need to drill a hole @ the bottom of tank rite? can juz pump out the water and pump back up? it's all abt getting the water down mah... izzit?

to pump water down is no problem...but to pump water back is a major problem :P

give an example:

let's say u use a xxL/hr pump to pump down to the sump. then u use another same xxL/hr pump to pump back the water. :unsure::blink: but by the time the xxL/hr reaches your main tank...it will never be xxL/hr anymore becos of gravity force. It will probably be xL/hr when it reaches the main tank. Hence, with holes not drill, you will flood and overflow your sump tank and your main tank will eventually run dry :blink:

if tat's wat u think it is so easy, y do u thk everyone prefer drilling hole if they are using overflow system?