Ivirus 36 x 22 x 24

iVirus

• SRC Member

Hi All,

After much procrastination, decide to start a build thread here so as to gain advices at the same time monitor the tank progress.

Dont know where to start so maybe will start with Equipments used.

Location of Tank: In Balcony.

Concept: Mainly SPS with a bit of mixture of LPS.

Tank Size: 36 (L) x 22 (D) x 24 (H)

Water Volume: 82 G / 311L

Sump Tank: 20 (L) x 16 (D) x 16 (H)

Lighting: Maxspec 230W 800 G2 with Parital CREE + Lens

Dymax T5 2 x 39W Behind the Maxspec

DIY 12 x Blue LED infront of Maxspec

Lighting Hours: Group 1 3W Blue (mix with some CREE Royal Blue) LED 10am - 9pm

Group 2 3W white+ Blue LED 11am - 8pm

Group 3 2 x 30W White 12noon - 6pm

Group 4 2 x 30W White 12noon - 6pm

Dymax and DIY LED were added mainly for viewing Pleasure to balance colour temperature so were only on as and when I am at home.

Skimmer: Deltec MCE 600

Wavemaker: 3 x Tunze 6055 + Tunze 7096 Controller

Doser: 1 x Bubble Magnus BT01 + Bubble Magnus BT02

FR: Deltec FR509 + Pump

KIV: Used to run ALGAE SCRUBBER which is currently out of the tank for the time being.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Here are what I am doing for the doser.

I assume 1 level tea spoon (the Rolex type) is equivalent to 6g.

Thus I mix 240g of Sodium/Magnesium/Calcium with 3 litre of tap water (Individual Bottle).

Using Distill Water will be part of my plan of cause.

For Potassium I am using K-Balance Potassium Concentrate

For Strongtium I forgot the brand, will update here when I am home.

Channel 1 Dose Sodium (120ml / day 4 times from 8-11am)

Channel 2 Dose Magnesium (120ml / day 4 times from 12noon -3pm)

Channel 3 Dose Calcium (120ml / day 4 times from 4pm - 7pm)

Channel 4 Dose Potassium (4ml / day 1 time @ 12noon)

Channel 5 Dose Strongtium (7ml / day 1 time @ 12noon)

Channel 6 Empty Intend to dose Distill Water as top up

Channel 7 Empty Intend to dose Iron ( looking at Potassium Iodide Fluoride Concentrate at a later stage)

Will update water parameters after measure which I am pretty sure the Phosphate level will be extremely high since I am using tap water all this while.

• SRC Member

why not get a RO/DI system? For a tank this size, in the long run, it's more economical then buying distill water for top up.

My understanding of the RO/DI run too slow. Have to prepare water in advance which i find troublesome. It may be economical but i have yet to feel the pain yet.

As you can see i am currently using tap water. My ultimate plan will be using Algae Scrubber which will eliminate the need to use distill water and personally i have tried running for 2 mths without even changing the water. Top up also using tap water.I couldnt see anything yet at the moment till I can get a proper Hanna Tester to measure my PO4.

How do you find the combination of LEDs and T5s so far?

Well, I am still new to make any comment but all i can say is that the corals are definitely growing under LED. As for colour, I am not in a position to comment as my water parameter is still pretty screw up. The T5 and DIY LED were mainly there to help lit up the back and front area more than anything else.

• SRC Member

I have taken my water parameter as of tonite:

PH: 8.3

Salinity: 1.023

KH: 8

Calcium: 480

Mag: Didnt measure but can i assume it should be within reasonable level since my PH, KH and Calcium have all been very stable?

Nitrate: 5

Phosphate: yet to measure as Hanna Tester is having problem.

• SRC Member

if RODI is too slow for you (i find it so too) why not use just a DI unit.... its alot more faster (0% wastage) but only drawback is the resin gets exhausted often (ie depending on ur tapwater TDS , mine last for one month on average)resin these days are not that expensive

I have tried not changing water for my 6ft tank, and only top up using unfiltered water weekly.

Initially for the 1st few months, all things still looks ok, but then, i observed a build up of algae with time.

I am running skimmer, algae scrubber, and Np biopellets.

Have now switched to DI water for top up.

• SRC Member

Nice tank ^^

Thanks for ur kind remarks. Alotbto do.

if RODI is too slow for you (i find it so too) why not use just a DI unit.... its alot more faster (0% wastage) but only drawback is the resin gets exhausted often (ie depending on ur tapwater TDS , mine last for one month on average)resin these days are not that expensive

Where can I buy DI unit? I try goggle but all they show is rodi. That will be a nice option for me. And how much it cost to replace the resin?

• SRC Member

I have tried not changing water for my 6ft tank, and only top up using unfiltered water weekly.

Initially for the 1st few months, all things still looks ok, but then, i observed a build up of algae with time.

I am running skimmer, algae scrubber, and Np biopellets.

Have now switched to DI water for top up.

I would think di will be a nice option as well.

Kindly pm me wherebto buy, if possible the price as well.

I will be cleaning my sumpnthis weekend if time permit, then might as well make use of the chance to change it with di water.

• SRC Member

I was planning to get rid of the coral chip in my sump thats trapping dirt.

So since I intend to do that, I might as well use the opportunity to replace all the sump water with DI which I purchase from Sam.

Just did that last sat.

Will slowly keep doing water change to bring down the PO4 level.