do i need a chiller

What kind of livestocks and corals do you intend to keep in there? If it's a FOWLR tank, you can make do without. It also depends on the ambient temperature of your tank.

Let us know what you have in mind, it helps by knowing the contents you intend to put.

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

look at my img532 the leather now always cannot open up fully, i dun kn is the light or the temp is not cold enough

my water temp is 28.1 emm............... n i just bought a chiller resun c-280 , n a EHEIM 2213 pump , i dun kn want to use them anot bcos i think its to big can somebody pls tel me wat to do :(

• SRC Member

Bro, i would suggest you take some time to do some research on marine reefing and also on the livestock that you are planning to purchase. But for now, i advise not to add anymore livestock cos it's too crowded already.

For your tank size, blue tang and koran angel are not suitable cos they are big fishes that need space to grow and produce lots of waste too. Look for nano fishes.

Your anemones needs mod to strong lights and water movement. The starfish looks like those non-reef safe type. Cowfish may release toxins when stressed and your small tank may not be able to cope with the release. You will need carbon and skimmer.

Flowerpot and cauliflower corals are nice but very difficult corals to keep for long in captivity without proper food.

Happy reefing.

I concurr, the amount of livestock in both your 1ft tank is overwhelming.

What's your filtration setup ? The bio-load of the tank could overload the filtration system if not managed well. Given the

Given that you have koran angel, blue tang, boxfish, porcupine fish, all of which will feel confined in that small tank.

The koran angel might pick on corals if not fed well.

The bubble coral on the right of the first pic is not opening up and the Goniopora isn't extending much, it's either the water parameters or the bubble coral is too close to the anemone which might sting it. Not sure how long are all these in the tank, assuming you have the right parameters, it takes them a few days to adapt to the environment.

For a nano tank, it would be better to choose livestock that can live in that environment.

Anyway these are newbie mistakes, I do hope you can do alot of research and reading on all the different types you have in your tank in order to keep a healthy reef tank. And to ensure the suitability of each of them in relation to the others in the tank.

• SRC Member

Nano tanks are more difficult to maintain when compared with larger tanks. Water parameters are more unstable and you need a lot of experience in stocking these tanks ... mistakes can be costly ... hope you take the advise from the senior reefers here and read up a bit more before going further.

That don't sound like much space you have in that overflow compartment, your only option now is to have a regular water changing regime that can help keep the water parameters in check or/and find alternatives to offload your lifestock to bring down the bioload.

• SRC Member

...or upgrade to a much bigger tank. ((:D

But seriously, quickly do more research. The time invested to pick up all relevant knowledge in this hobby is much worthwhile if you intend to go long term. I find the search utility in this forum especially useful.

Happy reefing,

• SRC Member

ya................. i saw a 3ft tank for $248 using 12mm glass :D

is it cheap... i think of buying but if i buy i got no stand for tat tank , can anybody give me a idea (if i wanted to buy bcos its nice ) :D:D

Bigger tank means more water change, better equipment to sustain. Examples: filter, skimmer, better lightings, chiller etc...

And research again..

Do research before you buy. Things that are nice always the 1st impulse.

Always makes ppl fail in marine reefing..

My 2 cents.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Hi bro,

Marine hobby is not cheap so the bigger the tank...the higher the maintenance cost therefore better think twice before upgrading :evil: .

Since you are newbie, I would advice you to read more, research more and be patient and control your impulse of keep on buying fishes and corals as your tank is already overcrowded. My suggestion is to sell off all your fishes and get some nano fish instead :P .

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

ya................. i saw a 3ft tank for $248 using 12mm glass :D

is it cheap... i think of buying but if i buy i got no stand for tat tank , can anybody give me a idea (if i wanted to buy bcos its nice ) :D:D

Don't buy the tank cos it looks nice, very risky , just like livestock; sometimes nice to see, cheap to buy but quick to die or a nightmare once into the tank. The tank you are keen in may not have have the proper set up for marine. A sump tank at the bottom is recommended. When you are really ready to upgrade, i would recommend supporting our reefers here who are "decomm-ing" their tanks. Not only their tanks are much cheaper than new ones, i'm sure most of them would be willing to share some tips on setting it up as well.

In the meantime, like a bro has suggested, maybe its a better idea to sell off the bigger fishes to reefers with bigger tanks to accommodate them, reducing your tank bioload.

Cheers...

• SRC Member

bro, you got to do a serious amount of reading man! From your replies I realize that you dont really know many basic things before jumping straight into the tank.

Nano fishes like their name suggest, are small fishes more suitable for your small tank.

Even when you like something very much, that does not give you the right to subject the poor animal to torture in an improper environment. Most probably, you WILL kill it.....

I apologize if i sounded harsh but really, you need to read up more and take things slow. You will give up reefing when you come home one day to find all your livestocks dead because of the things that you did wrong.

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

Just a question, happyguy1682.

Is this your first ever aquarium ?

Have you had prior experience in maintaining a tank (freshwater or marine) ?

Do you know the concepts of maintaining a health aquarium ?

Hii bro

Yesterday i went to a fish shop lei.... I saw the use normal 2ft tank n a eheim 2213 pump n it work well lei...... Then they shop ppl them me its ok wan if without a sup tank . So i dun kn i wan to try tat out anot can give me se idea bcos when i c i oso shiok tat it work gd n the coral all open till very nice 

• SRC Member

Below is example of nano fishes.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

When you click on the individual fish species, you'll get a box of "Quick stats".

Take note of the fish's "max size", & "minimum tank size". This will give you a rough guide to what kind of LS your tank can accommodate.

You can also click on those fishes in this website which you currently keep, & understand why some are not suitable for your tank.