do i need a chiller

bro .........

i changing to new tank new week , 2nd hand tank n cost only 600 :D

tank n pipping sub tank... without pump light skimmer lor.. :D

4,2,2 haha..................... but the sub tank use wat kind of filter is better , n how about skimmer ............. ??

for the light they say me to buy LED n cos 145 @ n i need to buy 2 of them is it worth ??

can u update me abit thanks :P

• SRC Member

congrats on the bigger tank. remember to fully cycle the tank first before adding livestock. You can put the rocks in while cycling. You might want to give Iwarna a call to get them to deliver seawater for your tank since it is quite a hassle to mix that amount of salt water yourself. For me i started cycling with NSW as well and it really helps.

For your question, the three types of filtration on an aquarium system can be classified into 3 groups namely mechanical, biological and chemical. Most important to me is biological because it works the best. Place live rocks in your sump so the bacteria in the rocks can convert the waste into less harmful elements. FOr mechanical i think the use of filter socks will suffice. Chemical filtration includes the adding of Phosphate remove, carbon etc into the sump for best results.

NO need to spend on the led because T5 is cheaper. For the price, i do not think their led which cost $145 is any better than T5s. GO DE lighting website to check out their range. What you are planning to keep will impact your choice of lighting.

Hope it helps.

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

what kind of corals are planning to keep mate? this will determine your lighting set up. try to achieve around 3watts/litre if you are keeping high requirements species. for a 4 footer, you might want to consider at least a 4 tubes T5 set (4 x 54w T5). there are a wide variety of brand to choose from, check out aquamarin too. many brands depending on your budget. otherwise lurk around the pasar malam for good buys!

ps i think you can cycle the tank w/o light first. whats impt is the cycling....

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

before you start thinking on the corals and fishes perhaps it would be better to settle your tank and equipment first. with that settled you can keep colourful corals or fishes that you want. jumping ahead on lifestock before equipment would only result in corals and fishes dying or losing colour. no matter how colourful or nice the addition is if you can't sustain it its a waste.

since now you are going to have a 4 x 2 x 2, you may want to consider the following,

sump? has to be big enough to hold your equipments.

skimmer? needs to have the capacity to, at the minimum, match your total volume.

method of nutrient export? there are many ways to do this, be it using media reactors, macro algae growth in a fuge, turf-scrubbers etc

chilling? your resun 280 that you bought before will not work for a 4 feet. cooling fans are an option but their subjected to their own cons.

lighting? it has to be strong enough to keep the corals that you want. since your depth is 2 feet you may want to consider good t5 sets or even mh/led if you're keen on more challenging corals.

my 0.02

my sub tank is 3ft,skimmer i dun kn which 1 to buy :(

n the chiller u mean to small for tat tank ??

The Cl-280 might be underpowered for a 4ft tank, most would go for at least a 1/5hp chiller.

As for a skimmer, it depends on your budget. Most would advise you to get a decent one your budget can stretch as a skimmer would play a very important role and would save you the convenience of upgrading later on.

btw, the word is "sump"

Let me guide you to a site with some basic concepts you would require to start this hobby. Of course, this alone is not enough, you will need to do your own reading/research to learn more about this.

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

yes, it's called sump tank. Do a search for the word, it helps more if you do some search and read :friends:

That's where you put in your media, excess live rocks, deep sand bed (if needed) and equipment deemed necessary to help keep a healthy reef tank.

• 8 months later...